Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

~~~~Daylight Savings Time For Ricochet~~~~

~~How The Heck Does He Know?~~

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 158 times.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Exclamation ~~~~Daylight Savings Time For Ricochet~~~~

Okay, figure this out.....Ricochet has a habit of telling me that he wants to go night night. He does this by flying past the front of the TV set at almost 6:55pm each and every evening. He will go back and forth until myself or Vicki puts him night night and covers up his cage.

Bogie did the same thing, except he did this at 7:55 pm each night.

What I can't figure out is.....tonight, Ricochet flew past the TV at exactly 6:55pm! Nothing wrong with this, you say? Since it was Daylight Savings Time, we set back our clocks Saturday night before we went to bed and this is Sunday night and he didn't know we had set the clock back in time. Tonight's 6:55pm is actually 7:55pm now at our new time, but he still flew by the TV at his usual time of 6:55pm as if it was yesterday's time.( It got darker an hour earlier today that yesterday).

Ricochet can't tell time by the clock. He goes by an internal instinct and habit. So, just how did he know to choose to fly by at the new time? His internal clock was already set by our old time so he should have waited to fly an hour different than he did!!!( by force of habit).

I know I am repeating myself, but in different ways so we can all understand this...I think.....!

I looked at Bogie's journal and he did the same thing as Ricochet. How do they know?

I thought that maybe we watched the same TV show at the same time each night and the music, etc., was telling our birds what time it is, but we do not watch the same shows at the same time each night.

Can you figure it out? .....

Let me know, because Ricochet won't tell us.

David and Vicki

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 11:44 PM   #2
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Bryan will become famous soon enough

I changed the light timer and cleaned out Pip's cage today but the time change did not seem to affect him any. I think the light going out is probably his sign that its close to bedtime so he makes his way down to his bowl for one last feed before bed.

I swear it's a stall tactic because I will wait for him to get done eating before I get up and cover his cage. I have seen him just sitting at his bowl not eating anything and when I look over at him he will start eating again.. hehe

He goes into his cage at about 4pm and he eats his millet "dinner" and some pellets then plays/preens for a few hours then goes down to eat again at 6pm. This is when he eats most of his cage pellets is during this time from 4pm-6pm and is about all the time he spends in his cage other then when he is sleeping/covered.

Anyway.. Pip did not seemed to be bothered any by the change either.

Last edited by Bryan; 11-03-2019 at 11:48 PM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
GrandmaLil

Parrotlets Owned: One
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

GrandmaLil is on a distinguished road

Not my Pip. He was waiting on the perch and seeming a bit annoyed that he got uncovered an hour later. I guess his internal clock doesnít do Daylight Savings Time. I think heíll adjust pretty quick. However, on another note, I hadnít adjusted the mantel clock and may have put him to bed an hour early, so that may have totally confused him.
GrandmaLil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #4
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

It was getting dark, and Oliver went to bed his "normal" daylight saving time at 6:55---it was dark by then and he was ready. Although the clock showed an hour earlier than normal, his body clock told him.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
Bryan

I did notice Pip eating a little earlier than his normal time today but he seems to be doing fine.

@GrandmaLil My Pip is always annoyed when he gets uncovered. He is not a morning bird at all.. hehe

Old 11-06-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Ricochet has changed a little bit since the daylight time was changed. He is a lot quieter in the morning, but he still lets me and Vicki know when to put him night night. He still flies past the TV every night at the same time . I can't figure how he knew to adjust for the hour that he lost.

Ricochet loves to go night night! I will bet you that if I put the cover on the cage at 4 pm, he would get all excited and go night night! I have never seen a bird that loves it when I put the cover over his cage. He likes to play attack the cover, but he settles right down after I leave the area.

Go figure!!!???

David and Ricochet

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:24 PM   #7
Bryan

I have started a new thing with Pip and uncover just the front of his cage in the morning now. It has only been two days but he slept in for an hour longer than he normally does today. I guess all this time of him getting upset in the morning might have been me taking the cover off too soon.

I now open up just the front and he stays up on top of his swing while I change out his food/water. When I am finished I leave the little door open and it was an hour before he woke up and come out on his own. I am not sure if this hour sleep in is because of the time change or just the new way of waking him up though. (either way he seems to like it better so we will stick with it)

Last edited by Bryan; 11-06-2019 at 10:28 PM..
Old 11-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
GrandmaLil

Parrotlets Owned: One
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

GrandmaLil is on a distinguished road

I tried the uncovering just the front. Boy did I get an earful. Pip did not like that I did something different. Little tyrant. They are all so different. Lol
GrandmaLil is offline   Reply With Quote