Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Notices

Out-of-cage Toys/Games

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 231 times.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
ElizabethR

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

ElizabethR is on a distinguished road

Question Out-of-cage Toys/Games

Hi! I'm a new p'let mom - since mid-August. Perry got comfortable with me pretty quickly, but now that the novelty has worn off, I feel like I'm not doing enough to stimulate her out of her cage.
I got her cat balls (the kind with the little bell inside), and she liked those for a while, but now she barely looks at them when I roll them by her. I plan to get her a birdy playground, but I haven't had much luck searching for ideas for things we can do or play with together, aside from training, which we're working on...slowly but surely.
I know she needs her alone time, but when she's in the mood to play, I'd like to have something interactive. Any ideas??? Thanks!
ElizabethR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Pill bottles (with pills) and bottle caps are always a favorite.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #3
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enough

Pip's favorite game is pestering me. He figures out what I don't want him doing/messing with and will go from place to place all day long just pushing my buttons.. hehe

He has tons of toys both outside and inside of his cage and he rarely ever plays with them. Well other then ringing all the bells he has when he wants out of his cage.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #4
laracroft

laracroft will become famous soon enough

I'd second the pill bottles for sure! Micah loves anything he can shred or toss around. It helps to rotate toys too. So if she's bored of her cat balls, switch them out for something else and get them back out in a few weeks.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

The play station is great! I have Ricochet, who is out of his cage most of the day and when he started to get bored, I got a play station for him. At first, he wouldn't take an interest with it. So, I put it next to a picture window. He would sit on one of the perches facing the outside of my home. I put a chair next to the play station and sat in the chair. I started to play with Ricochet . I would put him on a lower perch or on the bottom of the play station and he would have to climb up a ladder or I would put him on a swing and push him. He liked that.

I would constantly talk to him. Then one day, I decided to grab two of his toys out of a storage box. One of his toys was a solid plastic dinosaur ( T-REX ..3 inches long) named Dino and a 9 inch tall stuffed bird called Jabber. He was colorful and flexible. His wigs could be moved. Anyway, I put Jabber in the play stand and pretended to make him talk to Ricochet. I used my voice.

I would move Jabber around and Dino, too. I balanced Jabber on a ladder and Ricochet went over to him and gave him a kiss. This made Jabber fall off the ladder and crash into a small pile of sunflower seeds. Ricochet flew down to Jabber to see if he was okay. Jabber told him that he was okay and wanted another kiss.

This made Dino jealous! He came over to Ricochet and bumped into his beak with his head...........

You can play act with your bird. Get involved with him. Now, Ricochet visits the play stand 4-5 times a day and he always gives Jabber a kiss, then sometimes poo do's on him.

I would put Jabber on my shoulder and Ricochet would get jealous and fly to the opposite shoulder, then creep across my back and attack Jabber. It makes me laugh hard.

Try different things with your bird.

David and Ricochet

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #6
tijya

tijya will become famous soon enough

It definitely depends on the bird - and if the wings are clipped. With our first parrotlet, I had to be more creative because she was such a velcro bird that she needed a lot of attention and activity. Then again, she would sometimes go off and do her own thing. She loved tearing up toilet paper.

Our current monster is a lot more independent. He flies around and mostly does his own thing. He loves red things. Chewing on paper, pill bottles, and being near our sun conure. <3
tijya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #7
ElizabethR

ElizabethR is on a distinguished road

Thanks, everyone! Tried the pill bottle last night. She was very scared of it. But that was her initial reaction to the cat balls, too. I'll keep trying and see if she warms up to it. Thanks again!
ElizabethR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interactive games/toys