Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

Pip's not so great adventure..

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 92 times.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:53 PM   #1
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Bryan will become famous soon enough

Pip's not so great adventure..

Well Pip and I have had a day let me tell you...

I live in an apartment like cabin built on one side of a garage. (it's like a three car garage but one stall is my apartment) It is such a small space so I keep my refrigerator out in the garage part of the building so when I need something I have to go out there and get it. Well as you might know Pip has started riding around on my shoulder when I am up moving around the house now. He has gotten really good at staying on my shoulder so today when I went to get the stuff out of the fridge to fix lunch I let him stay with me. He went out the door just fine and we walked to the fridge but when I opened up the refrigerator door it spooked him and off he went. Now he has never been in the garage part of the building and the ceilings are much higher than in the apartment side and he panicked and did not know where to land. I don't know how he managed but he crash landed on the roof of the apartment side. I called and called him and nothing not even a peep or a noise at all. I was so scared that he might have hurt himself on the landing but could not see him.

I called my father who lives close by and he brought over a ladder but when we got back inside Pip had managed to find a spot on the trusses of the building and was sitting about 20 feet in the air and we could not reach him with the ladder we had. I called and called but he was to scared to come to me. We ended up using a long pvc pipe to get him to move and I called him while Dad chased him off the trusses. We did this a few times and he would just move from truss to truss..

I knew the pvc pipe was scaring him so I had an idea. I had made Pip a toy out of willow branches and it looks like a bunch of spikes but he climbs around on it and chews the bark off of it. I stuck one of the branches down into the pvc pipe and lifted the toy up to where he was at slowly and he climbed onto the toy and I was able to get him down...

What a day we both had. No more going out into the garage while Pip is out. I had always just put him up before fixing meals but I was just having a sandwich today so let him stay out. It was my fault for letting him ride out into the garage section anyway but man was I scared. The garage section does not have any kind of heat but luckily it was above 50 today here and the whole thing only lasted maybe 45 mins but it was a stressful time for both of us for sure.

Pip took a nap and is now back to pestering me like normal but he is a little more clingy than normal.. hehe

Last edited by Bryan; 11-01-2019 at 08:22 PM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

You and Pip certainly had an adventure! Glad to hear that he is safe now. Quick thinking on your part with putting one of the willow branches in the PVC pipe to get him down. I had an experience once where I went out into my garage with Rio on my shoulder thinking he would stay put for the moment, but of course he took off and landed in a big dusty cobweb. I brought him back inside and vowed never to do that again...
JackieRTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Bryan!!! Pip Pip sure gave you a scare. I am so glad he is saved! You need to find a way to get him to step up onto your finger just by showing him your finger. All I had to do with Bogie is to put my finger out and he automatically flew to it! I had a budgie that got outside of my home and he was sight-finger step up trained and I went outside and put my finger out and he flew right to it even though he was scared. I was lucky, but you can train them to do it. I never used a treat to train.

I am working on Ricochet to do this and he is resisting, but he has flown across a room to my finger after I put it up in the air.
Let me know if you want me to tell you how o train Pip to sight step up. It takes a lot of patience, but it may just save his life one day.

Quick thinking on the willow wood toy trick! WHEW!

Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 11:14 PM   #4
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enough

He does fly to my finger when we are in the house with no treat after or anything. We don't do it often though maybe once or twice a day. The funny thing is it's normally at lunchtime and at dinner time when he goes back to his cage while I fix my food. He just did not come to me when he was in the garage. I even got out his treat dish and sit in a chair like I do when I feed him a treat he always comes flying when he sees the treat dish but nothing. I guess he was in shock or something all the things he normally comes flying to would not work.

Edit: Here is the homemade toy that saved Pip today..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toy.jpg (87.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Bryan; 11-02-2019 at 01:14 AM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #5
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

The other trick that can work is to use a plastic bag and crinkle it. They "love" that sound...
JackieRTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:21 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
The other trick that can work is to use a plastic bag and crinkle it. They "love" that sound...

They do love that sound! I opened up an individually wrapped Lifesaver mint while watching TV and the sound of the plastic being ripped open brought Ricochet from the other room to my hands in a flash!
Just that little sound!

Dave and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote