Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

~~ Humpty Dave, Had A Great Fall ! ~~

~ Man, Am I Messed Up ! ~

This thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 212 times.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:03 PM   #1
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Exclamation ~~ Humpty Dave, Had A Great Fall ! ~~

Last Tuesday was a bad day for me. I decided to go outside and bring in my garbage can before a rainstorm hit Orlando. It was getting pretty windy.

As I left my home, I had to go down three steps before I set foot on the concrete carport floor. Somewhere a long the way, my right shoe came off ( I can't feel my feet due to nerve damage) and when I put my right foot down, I tripped on the loose shoe!

Down I went! I hit the ground...hard! My nose is a deep purple and scrapped and my glasses flew out and away from me. I put my arms out in front to soften the fall. I now have a bleeding bruise from my right elbow, down my forearm to my wrist. Both palms of my hands are purple. My right wrist is strained. I can't open a door with my right hand.

The muscles in my chest are pulled. Every time I move, I hurt. When I breathe, I hurt in my lungs. The back of my arms are swollen and hurt all the time. I can't sleep.

If someone saw me fall, it must have looked funny to them. I probably looked like Shamoo, the Killer whale, flopping around on the ground. I had to grab my truck's rear tire and then the top of my truck bed in order for me to pull myself up. It took a while and there was blood all over the side of my truck.

When all this happened, there was a friendly cat that had been sitting at the end of my carport. He took off when I fell. I have not seen him since Tuesday. Poor fellow...I wonder what he said to the other cats?

I have never broken a bone, so I think my records safe. But, man I do hurt! Welcome to old age, Dave!!

Next Week---A handicap ramp and railing will be installed, because I will probably need it soon!

Be safe out there and be careful!

David

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2020, 06:53 AM   #2
laracroft

Parrotlets Owned: 1

laracroft will become famous soon enough

Oh no! I'm so sorry you were hurt. Doesn't sound funny to me--I have to say, if someone saw you fall and didn't offer help, I don't think much of them!

My worst fall (so far--knock on wood) was actually when I was in high school, and a similar thing happened with my shoe. I was impatient to cross the street, so I was running across when I didn't have the right of way, and my sandal fell off. I tripped and slid across half a lane into the ditch. Narrowly avoided being hit by a truck. Thinking back, I was very lucky my impatience didn't get me killed.

I hope the pain stops soon and you heal up quickly. Take care of yourself!

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
Bigboy

Bigboy is on a distinguished road

Oh no! As you probably know, the pain will get worse before it gets better. And the bruising will be a riot of colors on your body. Take it easy and use some ice on the bruises (Not where you have the nerve damage) Stay safe, please!
Bigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Oh boy - that does not sounds like it was fun at all. Please do take care and keep us updated on your healing
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #5
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enoughAnya will become famous soon enough

Falls can be bad! I am so sorry that happened to you. I once fell sideways hard against the heavy wooden foot board at the end of my bed. My ribs hurt for six weeks! If I had hit my head it could have killed me. Rest and a lot of doing nothing is probably the best thing for you right now. Get feeling better soon! Glad you are getting rid of those steps!

Last edited by Anya; 09-12-2020 at 07:02 PM..
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:51 PM   #6
111karen111

Parrotlets Owned: 3

111karen111 is on a distinguished road

So sorry for your fluke accident. You don't need extra pain on top of your regular health issues.

Years ago i totally severed my Achilles tendon running after a softball during the spring practice season.

After an uncomfortable night in the Emergency Dept. of a hospital, i had surgery the next morning. They put wires in my leg to hold all the strands of the tendon together after cutting my leg up to the knee to find all the pieces. The doctor said they all rolled up like strands of spaghetti. He put buttons on the outside of my leg attached to the wires so they could just pull them out when my leg was healed.

They then put me in a 13 lb. cast (i weighed it after they removed it) that stayed on for 2 months. They sawed it open from my hip to my toes for the first few days while i was in the hospital to allow for swelling in my leg. I had an 8 day hospital stay.

I lived alone at the time and had to sleep on my sofa because i was afraid i wouldn't get out in time if there was a fire. Try sleeping on a sofa with a 13 lb. cast on (ha ha). I had to buy a port-a-potty because my bathroom was upstairs. My Aunt came every day to empty it for me bless her heart.

The thing i remember most is having to stand up and use my crutches to hop on one foot across the room to change the channel on the TV. TV's didn't come with remotes then. They set my foot up in the air so it didn't touch the ground. My other leg gave out after 2 months of hopping around on it.

After 2 months, they removed the hip to toe cast, pulled the wires out of my leg and put on a new cast from my knee to my toes still set up in the air so that my foot still didn't touch the ground. I was able to return to my job at Eastman Kodak Co. and had to hop around on one leg for another month.

Luckily it was my left leg so i could still drive to work. The only way i could get in my car was through the passenger side door. I had a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger that had a bench seat and i had to slide my outstretched leg across the bench seat and slide across until i was in the drivers seat pulling the crutches into the car as i slid across the bench seat.

Little did i know that the first 3 months would turn out to be the easy part of my recovery. After the 2nd. cast was removed, i couldn't walk anymore (i would never have walked again without the surgery).

I had months and months of physical therapy to stretch my tendon and try to keep my heel on the ground so i could walk. Now i limp without shoes on and i need shoes with 2 inch heels to walk normal. My foot healed stiff and my heel won't stay on the ground. 10 years ago, I also had a total knee replacement on the same leg. I also have Diabetic Neuropathy in both legs and feet.

This injury ended my softball playing days, my bowling league days, etc. and changed the course of the whole rest of my life.

I hope you heal real soon David.

Last edited by 111karen111; 09-12-2020 at 11:32 PM..
111karen111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:29 AM   #7
David Miller

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Karen,

The type of injury you had was serious! I'll bet you had a lot of sore days after you got the cast off of you! I couldn't imagine having that type of injury! I have been stabbed and shot in the line of duty, but my wounds, although they burned like heck, never hit an organ or bone!

Be safe!

David
Old 09-13-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

So sorry to read about your fall, Dave. In our twilight years of age, falling remains serious. installing a ramp and railings is the best investment.

My friend's mom was 98, and was doing well until she fell. It was either in-bed forever or a surgery for her hip. She had surgery, but couldn't recover in rehab and recently passed.
Be careful!
Old 09-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #9
David Miller

Thumbs up

I will be careful from now on!

Today, I designed a ramp with railings, so I wont need to go up or down steps. The manager of the community I live in heard about my fall, so he came by my place and said if I buy the materials, he would have his maintenance crew build the ramp and stain it for me for free!. I told him I would love to get the help! ( Of course, I will supervise the work).

Wow! That saved me $600.00 labor! I think I will give our community a deposit of some cash in the " Welfare Fund " for families who are struggling to pay the community their lot rent. I give my elderly neighbor gift cards so she can get groceries from time to time.

( I still can't open the fridge using my right arm). Ouch!

David and Vicki
Old 09-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #10
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Wow - that is super of the manager of the community where you live to offer that!
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote