Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

~~Pretty Neat Stuff Going On ! ~~

~~Finally--A Female's Voice Will Be Heard!~~

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 407 times.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:42 PM   #1
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Exclamation ~~Pretty Neat Stuff Going On ! ~~

~ Hello ~

I have always been, and always will be a person who believes in equal rights, equal pay, equal treatment and the people's right to peacefully protest and be heard! I will die to protect the rights of others. I have always believed in this. My family made sure I understood this from my earliest age.

This being said----

My wife of 46 years, Vicki, has finally got the recognition in the working field to be recognized as an equal to men! She lost her job last February and, at age 65, she thought it would be very hard finding a job in her field because of her age. But, she did find one very quickly! I wanted her to retire, but she wanted to work until age 70. If that's what she wants, then it is okay with me.

Now, to the point of all this -

The job she has is with a company who has offices all over the world. General Dynamics Information Technologies is the name of the company. A female runs the whole organization. In the division Vicki works in is the NAVY. She works in the Battleship Simulator Division for the NAVY and she is a...female! This has been a male dominated division for many years, but when she went through her interviews, they were impressed with her knowledge of Information Technologies and Quality (Control Testing) as an Annalist.

She is the one of two females in that huge division. She works in a huge room with huge monitors on all the walls. When you go into the room, it is like you are standing in the Command Center of a battleship. You can see the ocean and all the activity around the ship. They have battles and explosions, etc. It is just like you are in the battle yourself. Vicki also can see every port in the world by satellite, where the ship might dock.She and 15 other men set all this up and Vicki tests the computers, etc.

But--They were so impressed with Vicki, that the NAVY started to program all the computers in all the battleships to accept Vicki's voice. Vicki has to learn how to say the commands and then her voice will be the voice of the computers in all ships!

It has been only male voices until Vicki! DO you know why they want her voice? Not just because it is an honor and she has impressed the NAVY, but ....here's the good part....There are more and more females being promoted to Captain a ship and the computers have to understand a female's voice for the commands!
The female voice has to be recognized on voice command, so every computer will have Vicki's voice imprinted in the commands. Her voice will be heard around the world.
Kind of like the computer " Alexa". We recognize her voice all the time. Kind of like the computer on the Star ship Enterprise in Star Trek

This is an honor for her! I am so proud of her I don't know what to do! She takes it all in stride. All the guys she works with are so happy for her. It is funny, those guys go to Vicki for advice about their personal lives and other things. She is like a den mother to them.

I got permission to put this in the forum. There are no security issues with me telling you what she does or where she works.

God, I love that woman! She and I do charity work and help out others in need. I am fortunate. Very lucky to be with her!

David and Vicki
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
lindav

Parrotlets Owned: 1

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Congrats to Vicki! Of course you should be proud to be married to an outstanding achiever. At "our age" it can be very hard to find employment---experience is the key. Glad the Navy saw it that way.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Congratulations to Vicki!
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enoughAnya will become famous soon enough

It sounds like a great job! Congratulations, Vicki!
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Bigboy

Bigboy is on a distinguished road

You are proud of her, and I am proud to know both of you. Congratulations to Vicki and you too.
Bigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #6
David Miller

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Vicki has read your comments and she says, "Thanks! " When we got married in 1974, she was so quiet and reserved. Her mother died when Vicki was 11 and it was up to Vicki to clean house, cook, go to school, etc., for two brothers and a Florida State Trooper father. Life was hard. Her father took the boys everywhere, and sometimes they took Vicki, but for the most part, she grew up with a father that believed that " women should be barefoot and pregnant and not go to college".

So sad....And for Vicki to turn out so nice and decent, it was a miracle. I met her and we fell in love. I think She is the real Trooper! We put each other on a pedestal and have made the best of our lives.

I have been the lucky one, for sure....Such a sweet Southern girl!

David and Vicki
Old 08-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #7
kpenguins48

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
You go girl!

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #8
laracroft

laracroft will become famous soon enough

Congratulations Vicki!

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #9
David Miller

Thumbs up

Thanks, everyone!

Vicki told me tonight that her voice is already out in the NAVY on some ships. We have female Commanders/Captains already out there.

She told me that her first command to the computer was, " All Ahead One-Third ! ". The next was, " Left Rudder, 15 degrees! "
Then, she implemented, " S-O-S " ( International emergency call for help, like Mayday).

This is history!

David and Vicki!
Old 08-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #10
TheBeans

TheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura about

This is SO cool!!! Congrats to her and now we can all say that we are 2 degrees of the voice on those ships!

Daisy's hatch-day: 12/10/2014
TheBeans is offline   Reply With Quote