Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

My son is very ill

This thread has 54 replies and has been viewed 2575 times.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:07 PM   #1
111karen111

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

111karen111 is on a distinguished road

My son is very ill

My son Mike was diagnosed with terminal lung and spine cancer in May. They operated for 6 hours and put rods and screws in the bones near his spine to keep him from being paralized. He had become paralized the day before and that is when they found the cancer. He then could walk using a walker.

He is 51 and does not take care of himself and is currently homeless in a state far away from me. The Social Worker signed him up for Medicaid and Disability so the hospital would get paid and he would be able to rent a room until he is gone. There is no estimate given to me concerning that issue.

He stayed with a friend for a week, then I rented him a motel room for 2 weeks (very expensive). Last week he went back with his friend but Mike can't stay there all the time - the complex doesn't allow it. Mike is still waiting for the benifits to kick in. The first Social Worker never sent the paperwork in after telling us she did. I am hoping it kicks in before he is gone after the 2nd. Social Worker followed though on it..

Well, yesterday he became paralized again and is in such horrible pain he can't even talk to me. He is back in the hospital and is all doped up on morphene.

I am heartsick. I am so far away and it makes ME sick to see him in such pain? Mike called me at 1:30 am last night saying something about more surgery but I couldn't follow what he was saying.

Good luck trying to get a doctor or nurse to call you back. I just wanted to update the group on what is happening in my life right now. I am heartsick to know I am going to lose him.

I am also Dusty and Stormi's mom. They are Parrotlets.
111karen111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 10:15 PM   #2
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Best wishes, these things are hard on all to live through. We will keep you guys in our prayers for a good resolution.
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge - Bo
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Vicki and I are so sorry to hear all this. We wondered what had happened since you first told us about Mike. Man ol' man, I don't like this year at all. This has to be my worst year since I was born!

Things have to get better, somehow! My God! We are decent people here on earth and most all of us are law abiding and non-interfering people who want to be left alone!

Our prayers are with you and hope that somehow, somewhere, a miracle can happen to ease your load. We hope Mike can get a break and find a permanent place to stay so he could be at a little more ease. There are so many homeless people out there it is unbelievable!!

I always give what I can to the homeless. A dollar here or a dollar there . I wish I was a millionaire because I would help Mike out.

I hope things get better.

David and Vicki
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 11:38 PM   #4
111karen111

Thanks David. Everything today hinges on having medical insurance. I asked Mike to apply for Medicaid a year ago when he lost his job. He would have qualified. But listen to his mother, not on your life. He always thinks he knows better than anyone else.

He asked me recently "What did I ever do to be punished with so much pain?" I told him that I begged him to quit smoking all the time but he never listened to me. He was a very heavy smoker. He said "Well I guess it's too late now." What a horrible way to learn a lesson.

He was so proud of keeping his 30 year-old Ford Ranger in tip-top shape (due to my funding his efforts). I bought him that truck 3 years ago. He told me a lot of people wanted to buy it from him. He replaced the engine and transmission (and a lot of other parts) himself. He is an ace mechanic. But because of his hot temper, he had a very hard time struggling through life.

All of this is taking its toll on my health. I have to see the brain surgeon soon. I'm losing my hearing rapidly and my eyesight keeps getting worse. I need to find out if the brain tumor is growing and pressing my brain down too far and causing these issues.

And of course, right in the middle of all this, Stormi is laying eggs and biting me constantly like she doesn't care if it's a bad time for me.

Tonight he is laying in a hospital screaming in pain. They are talking more surgery but I don't know what will happen. He went to 4 hospitals in extreme pain in the past week and was turned away at all of them. They said he didnt meet the criteria to be admitted. Now and only now that he is paralized, did they admit him back into the hospital.

Hopefully his Medicaid and Disability will get approved before he is gone.

Last edited by 111karen111; 06-28-2020 at 11:50 PM..
Old 06-28-2020, 11:41 PM   #5
111karen111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie3860 View Post
Best wishes, these things are hard on all to live through. We will keep you guys in our prayers for a good resolution.

Thank you Ozzie.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:43 PM   #6
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enoughAnya will become famous soon enough

I am so sorry to hear about your son. It must be so difficult seeing him like that. I will be keeping Mike and you in my prayers.
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:04 AM   #7
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

When they did the first operation, he should have been placed on Medicaid and Disability. He would have had no choice in the matter and the hospital would have been paid by the government. If he leaves the hospital and refuses to sign the necessary papers, then he is his own worst enemy.

Tell him ( he probably won't listen) that there are lawyers who will take his case for free. They can get him Disability and Medicaid and all kinds of other help that is mandated by law. He would even be placed in an assisted living home/place/rehab due to his health.

There is hope for him if he wises up and asks for help from the hospital's Patient Care Department or some social group that helps people like him..

I do believe hospitals will help once he gets admitted for an operation because they will be reimbursed. At least, they can get him in the right direction.

He may be argumentative and a moocher, but he is a human being and does have some redeeming value.

I hope he gets the help he needs.

David
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:08 AM   #8
111karen111

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
When they did the first operation, he should have been placed on Medicaid and Disability. He would have had no choice in the matter and the hospital would have been paid by the government. If he leaves the hospital and refuses to sign the necessary papers, then he is his own worst enemy.

Tell him ( he probably won't listen) that there are lawyers who will take his case for free. They can get him Disability and Medicaid and all kinds of other help that is mandated by law. He would even be placed in an assisted living home/place/rehab due to his health.

There is hope for him if he wises up and asks for help from the hospital's Patient Care Department or some social group that helps people like him..

I do believe hospitals will help once he gets admitted for an operation because they will be reimbursed. At least, they can get him in the right direction.

He may be argumentative and a moocher, but he is a human being and does have some redeeming value.

I hope he gets the help he needs.

David
Dave and Vicki:

Mike was told by the Social Worker at the hospital that operated on him that she submitted the paperwork for him to get signed up for Medicaid and Disability. She told me this also on a phone call when she also asked me to pay for his medications on the day they discharged him with no prior notice knowing he was homeless. She said he could go to a homeless shelter but they don't have any in the area Mike lives in.

Then Mike found out almost a month later that she never submitted any paperwork at all for him. A Social Worker at an Oncology Outpatient Clinic found this out while working with Mike. She immediately submitted the necessary paperwork but a whole month went by that was wasted because of that Social Worker at the hospital. Mike gave her a hard time when they made him leave so she probably said to heck with him and never filed the paperwork.

We were told that an emergency application takes 3 weeks. It has only been 1 week since the papers were filed. That means he will probably have to wait at least 2 more weeks to hear anything. There is no way they can turn him down. He can't even walk.

On Friday I received a 12 page document to fill out from the Georgia Disability Facility. It took me 2 hours to fill it out and then I made a copy and then drove to Staples several miles away to fax it back right away. It cost 1.83 a page and I added 2 pages so it cost me $25 to fax this document back to where it came from. I then mailed the Original back in an envelope. They should have the faxed copy when they return to work tomorrow morning. I wanted to make sure it wasn't me holding up getting him approved.

I am just so worried about the terrible pain he is in I can hardly function.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:29 AM   #9
111karen111

Update:

Mike is getting radiation treatments now. They decided not to operate. They are hoping to shrink the lung tumor and zap the cancer in his spine.

Mike said the doctors told him he has 6 weeks to 6 months left.

He is still in terrible pain, but they upped his pain medication and I was able to talk to him for a short while today.

He also said they have a place to send people in his condition so he isn't put out on the street again with no-where to go.

He is in a very grouchy mood now and I guess I would be too if I was in his condition.

I started crying while on the phone with him and he said in a strong voice, "it is what it is".

He is paralized from the waste down. At least he can use his arms to feed himself, etc.

At least I got to speak with him today. That made me feel a little better.

Last edited by 111karen111; 06-29-2020 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 06-29-2020, 03:18 AM   #10
111karen111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya View Post
I am so sorry to hear about your son. It must be so difficult seeing him like that. I will be keeping Mike and you in my prayers.

Thank you Anya.