Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > New Members Area > Introductions

Introductions If you're a new member, introduce yourself to the community so we can all welcome you here!

Notices

Hello!

Soon-to-be Parrotlet Owner

This thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 289 times.

Old 11-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #1
ChristiSharon

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

ChristiSharon is on a distinguished road

Smile Hello!

Hi! My name is Christi, and I'm super excited to say that I will be getting my very first bird/parrotlet on December 18! I've literally wanted a bird my whole life, so this will be a dream come true - she is a blue parrotlet and after much debate we have decided on Cookie as a name. I ordered a Prevue Cage for her and am reading up and watching lots of videos. I recently moved to Hobe Sound, Florida with my new husband (lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin my whole life before this) and am getting used to things down south! I did a lot of community theater in Wisconsin, but of course the virus stopped all of that for now. I am also a former member of The Milwaukee Ballet Company but only do Pilates now . I do have a question about UV lights when living in Florida - should I still get one? How long do you leave them on and how are they placed in the cage?

Thank you so much - I look forward to getting to know all of you.
ChristiSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2020, 04:49 PM   #2
lindav

Parrotlets Owned: 1

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum. My sister lives in Melbourne, has her second parrolett and never needed a UV light. Partial sun in a room is enough. UV lights seem to be in need in the north.
Best to you. Keep us posted.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:21 PM   #3
JackieRTP

JackieRTP will become famous soon enough

Congratulations on your upcoming parrotlet Cookie! Windows block the beneficial UV rays from sunlight, so simply having the curtains open is not enough. If you decide to get an avian bulb, common brands are:

FeatherBrite https://www.featherbrite.com/
Zoo Med https://zoomed.com/
Arcadia https://www.arcadiabird.com/
M & M https://www.breedingcage.com/
JackieRTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2020, 11:15 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Hello, and welcome to the forum! You will get good advice from this forum, so ask as many questions as you want! People have many different ideas about certain things and you will get a variety of good answers to your questions.
So, ask all you want!

David and Vicki

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
ChristiSharon

ChristiSharon is on a distinguished road

Smile

Thanks everyone! The house we are moving into doesn't have a sun porch like most of the places we've seen, but we plan on screening in part of the driveway. Once that's done, I could sit Cookie out there for a little sunlight, but I'm wondering if I should just get the UV bulb. I'm from the north and just getting used to the south and that was one of my questions.

I'm so excited I've been having trouble sleeping! LOL

Have an amazing day, and I appreciate you all welcoming me!

Christi:
ChristiSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #6
David Miller

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

I am so glad you are excited! After me having budgies for 5 decades, the last 12 years of having a parrotlet changed my life for the better!

There will be days you will wonder why your Cookie bites you or won't let you near her. She will have days of hormonal stress and this is natural. She may even get mean, but she will get over it and so will you! You will go through the 'terrible twos' when Cookie is about 4-6 months old. Some p'letts go through it earlier and some later and some...not at all! But you will see it, most likely.

You will play with Cookie and have a ball! But, especially with a female, do not tickle her below the neck or on the tummy, or on her back or wings. This could cause her to get sexually hormonal and she will start laying eggs in the bottom of your cage. It is rare that she wouldn't.

There is a lot to learn. We can suggest to you to feed her seeds or pellets or both. Talk with your vet and the Vet will tell you what's the best for your bird. But fresh veggies is a must !

Let us know when you get Cookie! We can't wait!

David and Vicki
Old 11-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
JackieRTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Talk with your vet and the Vet will tell you what's the best for your bird.
It is important to remember that vets are not experts in avian nutrition. In vet school, they are trained extensively on diseases and medical issues. They read "studies" funded by pellet manufacturers, which is many vets push pellets and are not up to date on how pellets are linked to liver and kidney issues in small bird species such as parrotlets. Tops is the only brand recommended, as they are produced differently than the others. Parrotlets need quality seed as part of a diverse diet including vegetables.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
Anya

Anya has a spectacular aura aboutAnya has a spectacular aura about

Hi and welcome to the forum! Nice to have you! I am sure you are counting down the days until you get Cookie – I was the same way when I was waiting for Cleopatra. Baby parrotlets are so sweet. The good thing in you having to wait is that it gives you time to prepare and learn a lot about these little guys. The more you know, the better off your bird will be. And you too, for that matter, because they can be a challenge.

Taking your bird outside for some natural sunshine is probably the best way for your bird to receive the Vitamin D3 that they need. Just 15 minutes 3 times a week is all that is needed. But sunshine is not always available to do that. I live in sunny Southern California and I can only take my bird outside at certain times. That is when a UV lamp comes in handy. I have a ZooMed AvianSun Floor lamp for my bird. When the lamp arrived, the instructions had no information on how long to have the lamp turned on for. I could not believe it. Pretty annoying – what are you supposed to do, guess? Going online, was not much help either. Suggestions went from 2 hours to 10 hours per day. So, I do something around the middle and have the lamp no closer than 18 inches from the top of my bird’s head sitting on her highest perch. That is what I feel comfortable for my bird. As soon as the weather permits, she is outside getting natural sunlight.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing stories about Cookie! (Cute name!) Be sure to post pics when you get her!

This is an interesting video on how birds can see UV (Ultraviolet Light)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw3L...ature=youtu.be
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:45 PM   #9
JackieRTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya View Post
I have a ZooMed AvianSun Floor lamp for my bird. When the lamp arrived, the instructions had no information on how long to have the lamp turned on for. I could not believe it. Pretty annoying – what are you supposed to do, guess? Going online, was not much help either.
Zoo Med does have instructions buried on their website under care sheets when you select Bird, but I agree that it should have come with instructions. Not everyone has access to the internet. It says it should be situated approximately 12 to 18 inches from where the bird normally perches, but I completely agree with you on the 18 inches.

https://zoomed.com/wp-content/uploads/Birds-and-UVB.pdf
Old 11-16-2020, 09:44 PM   #10
David Miller

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
It is important to remember that vets are not experts in avian nutrition. In vet school, they are trained extensively on diseases and medical issues. They read "studies" funded by pellet manufacturers, which is many vets push pellets and are not up to date on how pellets are linked to liver and kidney issues in small bird species such as parrotlets. Tops is the only brand recommended, as they are produced differently than the others. Parrotlets need quality seed as part of a diverse diet including vegetables.

Of course they are trained on diseases and medical issues. These issues are related to diets, at times. My vet and another whom I have used was shown your remarks and they said they were trained and they are constantly updated on nutrition for small animals, etc.

They did not recommend what you suggested. Both are avian vets. Both did say that a well balanced seed mix and pellets would suffice, along with a varied diet of fresh veggies and greens. They added that nutritional treats are a must, too. It sure sounds like they know what they are doing.

What I have found was that there are vets who study nutrition and some say use this pellet or that pellet mix. Some stick to a certain brand and some do not. They also say that their decisions on what to suggest has nothing to do with pellet manufacturers in their studies.

There are many sides to this issue, not just one side.

Dave