Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Toy playing

Can't tell if it's bad or aggressive?

This thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 331 times.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Joeyd

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Joeyd is on a distinguished road

Toy playing

I have a few toys for Piko I get him to play with. Thing is he seems to really attack or to me maybe sound aggressive playing with the toy? Is that just a normal thing or is this encouraging him to be more mean?

After he is done playing with the toy he doesn't show any aggressive after. So it's not like if I take the toy away from him he attacks my hands but it still maybe sounds like he's aggressive.

Not sure if this is the norm with parrotlets cause even though I had Kai he only had 1 toy ball he played with, so I have no idea how parrotlets are behavior wise with toys.

I can also upload a video if it helps.
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2020, 10:37 PM   #2
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Tumi likes to beat up his toys - that is his idea of play. I think it is pretty normal for many parrotlets. They seem to fall into two categories - chewers or bell bashers. Tumi likes to smash the bells and tell them off quite thoroughly. He's always done it, and doesn't seem to make him more aggressive than normal. He likes to take his aggression out on his toys!

I think of it like a dog playing rough - it is all in fun, and doesn't make them more aggressive.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:53 PM   #3
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Hi !

Piko is just being a parrotlet right now. I have had 3-4 bird species over the years and some play nice and talk to the toy and some play hard and bossy with the toy. Both my male p'letts had moments of both, nice and mean moments with their toys.

What I had to look out for was when Bogie made one of his toys his " mate " and protected it. If I got near it, he would bite at me and lift his wings. As he went through his terrible twos ( puberty and hormones raging), he became so attached to his " mate " that he became anti-human a little bit.

I wrote to this forum and got all kinds of great advice about what to do about Bogie's aggression. The overall consensus was to remove that " Mate " toy immediately and throw it away. I did just that and in a couple of days, he started to be his sweet, inventive self and he started talking human again. What a relief!

So, just watch out if he becomes attached to a toy in a way that makes him act aggressive towards you. Your guy is young, so he probably won't go through his terrible twos for a while and some p'letts do not ever get aggressive towards humans with their toys.

Ricochet played with his toys and my toys ( computer, phone, newspaper,etc.) and he never got aggressive with me over a toy. When he played with his toys, he would push one over to me and and we would share play with it. He was just starting to get real creative when he died. I could see that he was going to be a lot like Bogie was. Amazing!

David

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
Anya

Anya has a spectacular aura aboutAnya has a spectacular aura about

If Pico is just attacking the toy and not you, I do not think you have anything to worry about. I think he is just having fun. Watch his body language though. Now, if he does start attacking your hands that is a different matter altogether.

Cleopatra has a rattle ball that is really made for bigger sized parrots. When I ask her, “Do you want to play ball?” she knows and gets all excited. She gets into her crazy Jungle Bird mode and acts like she wants to kill it. It is so funny to see her pick it up and try to toss it. She just does this for a minute or two and then she loses interest in beating it up. So, I put it back in the box. Then, she goes right back to being normal again. Thank goodness, right? Lol She has other smaller balls that she loves to hate too. These are the only toys she gets aggressive with.
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
JackieRTP

JackieRTP will become famous soon enough

I agree that it is very normal for parrotlets to choose certain toys to beat up for "fun".
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:40 PM   #6
Joeyd

Thanks everyone!!!

Yeah I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t putting toys that maybe he thought were agitating or invading in his personal space.

No attacks after the toys, even with one of his wooden balls he goes nut’s with absolutely terrorizes it, but when I put my hand near he never bites or attacks..

NOW I can see the difference for sure.

The ipad or iphone Piko will get aggressive my hands so that does suck. He’s def not like Kai who like to get scratches near the ipad while I watched movies.. If he attacks the screens, cameras or if see’s the ipad scrolling he sometimes will bite my thumb so that sucks..but in that case I just feel like I have to keep him away.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:44 PM   #7
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Attacking iPads and iPhones is jealousy. From Piko's perspective, you are paying attention to it instead of him. He doesn't understand why your fingers aren't paying attention to him instead of the screen.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #8
Joeyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoo252 View Post
Attacking iPads and iPhones is jealousy. From Piko's perspective, you are paying attention to it instead of him. He doesn't understand why your fingers aren't paying attention to him instead of the screen.

OH yeah it 100% seems like that. Cause that's when he loves to get scratches and if he see's my thumb move across the iPad he does get mad. Sometimes I can get his mind off of it but it's 50/50.

But he doesn't like sctratches for too long, maybe a few minutes tops and then take some breaks and then some scratches again.

I remember with Kai, it could literally go on for 45 minutes straight to where I just couldn't give him anymore scratches haha
Old 11-06-2020, 01:46 AM   #9
zoeymiler45

zoeymiler45 is on a distinguished road

Yeah toys are good for them, they are not annoying at all for them in fact they enjoy playing with toys, my birds are also crazy for toys and I got bird toys for them, I recommend you to also buy toys for your birds.

Last edited by Rubydoo252; 11-06-2020 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: While it can be helpful for us to give suggestions on where to buy a particular toy, this website does not sell bird toys.
zoeymiler45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #10
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Oliver gets jealous if I am on the phone or the computer. Forget it if I am at my hobby table.
I have to take him away from me, or he'll get aggressive with my ears and lets me know he is not interested. So spoiled.