Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Pictures

Parrotlet Pictures Share your pictures of your little feathered friends here!

Notices

Pip's Pics

This thread has 103 replies and has been viewed 8930 times.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Bryan will become famous soon enoughBryan will become famous soon enough

Pip's Pics and Antics

I thought I would just start a thread for Pip since I like to post pictures of him and share his antics. After about two weeks and a lot of work Pip has decided that the outside of his cage is not so bad and has come out to sit awhile on his own..

I still have trouble getting him to step-up in his cage with just a command but he does well if he can see millet. I am able to get him out of the cage though and we have been working on moving around the house on my finger/hand.

I will take him to his playstand putting him on it then offer him millet with praise. Step-up and back we go walking around the house then to his cage door where I put him down and praise him.. repeat (till he goes back in the cage or the allotted millet is gone)

I have done this for just two days now and it has made a world of difference. We walk around the house stopping between the cage and the playstand so that he knows he can get off at both spots. He has also flown from his cage and crashed three times yesterday before we started the "whee game" (I say whee when we are moving from place to place) He has not flown any today but the day just started so we will see how things go...

Last edited by Bryan; 02-24-2019 at 12:00 AM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
Bryan

Well Pip has for sure reached the stage that he wants to fly and we found a new fun game just now. I had him out on the playstand working on step-up when I noticed he was leaning toward my hand with the millet thinking about flying to me. I used this to my advantage and raised up my finger but made it so he had to hop/fly to get there.. he did!! We were both so excited he got extra bites off the millet and lots of praise.

I kept on moving my hand back further and further each time and he kept on flying to my hand. We worked on this about ten times until we were almost to his cage so I thought why not... I held up the millet and my hand and he come but this time landed on his cage. He now knows he can get back to his cage from the playstand.

I stopped the training for now but later we will work on getting him to the playstand from the cage. It is a little bit more difficult as it is a smaller target but I think we can manage. I know he was having so much fun and I never dreamed I would be able to teach him how to fly to me.

Last edited by Bryan; 02-24-2019 at 12:01 AM..
Old 01-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
Squeaky&Pixie

Squeaky&Pixie is on a distinguished road

Congrats!!! Such a big step for you both, and just to think you were not sure if you should get him or take the green one... sure has turned out to be a great choice!
Squeaky&Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 11:55 PM   #4
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Pip is adorable, and you are doing a great job bonding with him. Keep up the good work!
Old 01-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
Bryan

It took some persuasion but Pip has learned how to fly to the playstand from my hand. He did not really like target training so it was hard at first but I figured out a way to get him going. I used the millet as a lure like always but held it so that the playstand was easier to land on then my other hand. He picked up that it was a good thing to land on the playstand with praise pretty quickly. I then hid the millet in my hand and just used my finger to tap the playstand and said "over here" it took him a bit to get the courage but he did it. I kept on having him fly to the playstand then back to me over and over it was great fun for both of us. (He eventuality learned just to go by me pointing to the stand and saying "over here" at the end so we could get distance)

We stopped the training for a few hours then Pip decided to start making circles on his own from the cage and back to it. I thought now is my chance and tapped on the playstand and said "over here"... he did it!! He now knows how to fly to and from his playstand and just loves his flying lessons. (Now he has only done this once but I hope he starts comes out on his own and flying over to the playstand by my chair.. we will keep working on it ofc)

It is much harder to train them without a pointer but he never really liked the clicker it seems that verbal praise with a treat he enjoys though. We just have to figure out ways around it. I use "yes, good boy" and make it louder when it is something really great then give him his millet to take a bite of.

Oh, he has also learned that the bells on his toys are fun to ring. He has had a hard day of flying and is taking a nap right now as I post this...

Last edited by Bryan; 01-24-2019 at 12:04 AM..
Old 01-23-2019, 10:34 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Do what works for Pip. I never had to use a pointer with either Bogie or Ricochet. I never had to use treats to entice them, either. I used our bond.

Just how old is Pip? I thought you said he was only a few weeks old and clipped. To be flying a circle is amazing for a p'lett so very young. Maybe you meant, " flying back and forth ". Or hopping/fly back and forth. Keep up the good work.

David and Ricochet

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #7
Bryan

He was born/hatched November 6th according to the pet shop I bought him from. There is a thing in my signature that has his age he is 2 months and 2 weeks. (I have had him two weeks) He is clipped and he is flying five foot sometimes more when he does a circle. He is only missing two or three feathers on each side and not the outside ones... iirc

He was the one that wanted to fly I just encouraged him. He was doing small flights/hops in his cage and started flying out of the cage on his own mostly crash landing on things. I used him wanting to fly and just offered him my hand like we had been doing with step-up. It was just at a few inches away at first but he loved it and we kept going further and further now he is at about three to four foot reliably. He loves it so much I hardly have to do any commands he just looks for the hand and off he goes. (well the millet is a large part of it.. ofc)

Tonight was his first trip out of his cage and to the stand without any commands. He just loves flying.

Last edited by Bryan; 01-24-2019 at 10:58 AM..
Old 01-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

More pics, more pics!!

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
Bryan

Well now that Pip has learned to fly he is not afraid to venture to the little spot I made for him at the top of his cage with the swing. He just loves the bells and playing with his swing now. (lets hope they are all safe bells)

I am giving him a day in the cage and not working with him today. I let him have his millet in the cage and he is having a good time playing with his toys/bells.

I always say paparazzi when I am taking pictures of him.. haha

Last edited by Bryan; 01-24-2019 at 01:07 PM..
Old 01-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #10
aqueilo

aqueilo is on a distinguished road

I love hearing about Pip and his antics. Love the pics too. So cute <3

aqueilo is offline   Reply With Quote