Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Questions to "Members Cages" thread:

17K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Rubydoo252 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Sadie's cage is the Pali Place from birdcages4less. http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/Small_Bird_Cages/PA5719.

2.It has two platforms and two ladders included
Hi raiven, I just bought this cage! It's for two lineolated parakeets that I'm planning to bring home at the end of May.

I have to say that when I opened the box and examined the ladders, that I wondered if they were safe to put in the cage. The bar spacing on the ladders is wider than the 1/2" of the cage bars, and I'm just concerned that maybe it's just wide enough to trap a tiny head and neck. I might just buy some other ladders separately for the cage.

Just something you might take a look at...

Maddie

#11 ·
I have a cage question. I have a cage I originally got with my first sugar glider, but now I only use it once or twice a year as a "travel" cage for them. Otherwise its in excellent condition. It is 16 L X 24 W X 16 T with 1/2 inch bar spacing and a flat top. Nothing fancy about it. Would this be ok for a single parrotlet? It would be nice if I didn't have to buy a new cage.

Unfortunately the larger cage I have my gliders in is getting pretty beat-up by them and I doubt it will be very useable by the time they are done with it. (Plus at 6 foot tall it might be a tad too big for a single parrotlet)

#12 ·
I think that size is on the small side for these active birds. The HQ flight cage that many of us have is something like 32 x 20. If your big cage is still useable when you get a P'let, remember that in nature they fly around without limits. If you have room, I don't think you can go wrong with a bigger cage.
Reta

#15 ·
acrylicbirdcage.com questions

Hi All,

Have any of you had experience with Eric at acrylicbirdcage.com? I'm interested in an acrylic cage that mounts to the wall. It will have bars on 3 sides so there will not be air quality issues for my little Schmidt.

Unfortunately, it seems like he has a couple of bad reviews on line and I'm just looking for additional feedback before committing $200 bucks.

Right now, Schmidt lives in a Vision M01 but I'm having a hard time finding a good location for it. I need something that can hang or mount.

Please share if you have other ideas or suggestions that I should look into.

Best,
Lisa

P.S. I hope I'm posting this question in the correct thread. If not, sorry.

#16 ·
Bar spacing

I know 1/2" bar spacing is ideal for parrotlet cages, but is 5/8" spacing doable? We are trying to find a new cage for our new parrotlet, something sturdy and secure and safe. Some of the more sturdy cages have 5/8" bar spacing.

Any wisdom?

- Heather and The Little Blue Monk

#17 · (Edited)
I would stick with 1/2in spacing. We had a parrotlet in a cage with 5/8in. He tried to get out between the bars and managed to get his head stuck. We had to very carefully cut the bars to get him out. You can find wrought iron cages with the smaller spacing. They just arent as common.

#18 ·
Ditto on the sticking with 1/2 inch bar spacing. It stinks that all we get at that size are cheaper wire cages, but some parrotlets can try to escape/get stuck in anything bigger and it isn't worth the risk. I have a beautiful, well-made cage sitting unused in the basement because it is 3/4 inch spacing, which was perfect for my cockatiel but is just way too big for Tumi. If you aren't worried about dogs or cats accidentally damaging the cage, the wire cages are sturdy enough. If there are other animals to consider, frankly the only safe solution for parrotlet is a door between them and the other animal when they aren't supervised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.