Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

New baby is here!!!!!!!!!

Still don't know his name....

This thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 879 times.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:25 PM   #11
birdeet

Parrotlets Owned: 5
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

birdeet is on a distinguished road

New Baby

My first parrotlet from a breeder, wasn't really fully weaned. Fortunately I have a wonderful bird farm nearby and they quickly identified the problem. They set me up with formula and feeding directions. Another week of hand feeding was what he needed. He just needed that little extra warm soft food to get him over the transition hump. Maybe consider that.
birdeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #12
Joeyd

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Joeyd is on a distinguished road

Talked to the breeder and ended up bringing the bird back to her. This was the first time I actually screwed up on the weaning. He went back to eating at her place so maybe just another few weeks of solid eating at her place should get him to be good.

I've been reading about regressive weaning and I wonder if that's what happened. But was weird was that he didn't eat solids at my house but quickly started the same day at her house.

Seems like with parrotlets I haven't been catching any break's with these birds. I bonded with this bird super quick too, just a super gentle sweetheart of a bird. I'm already sad without him so I hope he ends up being healthy and I can have him again. If not , at this point I don't even know if I'm going to get another bird.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:45 PM   #13
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Baby birds get used to a certain way they accept weaning foods. When you had to still wean him, he may not have liked or recognized the food you prepared, even if it was the same formula. He could have rejected the way you did it or the way his food was prepared . One thing for sure, he should have not been released by the breeder until he was fully weaned! He's a cute green rump!

David and VIcki
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:20 PM   #14
aqueilo

aqueilo is on a distinguished road

I think everything will be fine! I agree with David in that he probably was being picky in a way and it's not really anything you did.

aqueilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #15
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

What's the latest? Let us know!

Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #16
Joeyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
What's the latest? Let us know!

Dave
The lady just got to Cali 2 days ago, so along with moving the furniture in and then setting up the birds I plan to message her on Friday. Figure that should be enough time so she's not stressed out from the move.

But what sucks still is that I have to go pickup the bird at the airport if I get the brother, so this whole cost of the bird has risen a lot. The gas,tolls and part shipping is $$$$$$$.

NYC/NJ tolls are $$$$$$. Figured if it goes to plan and I get the bird back from her the total cost of the birds gonna be in the 700 dollar range. Compared to the original 400+gas+tolls that I had originally factored in.

I dont' have much stuff so I did have to sell my headphones I loved to cover the extra cost. Right now I'm trying to figure out some other way to make money but my mental health is always in a shit show.

I was looking into making some personal jewelry or art with peoples bird feathers if they wanted it, but I don't know if that's even possible. With the cost of shipping being so high not sure any of my products would even warrant their price.

I hope all this turns out fine in the long run but I can't lie and I'm a bit sad over this entire thing. A lot of people messaged me over instagram and on this forum with the warning signs but I just didnt' want to listen cause I just want a friend so bad...like just so bad.The loneliness is killer and man, having that green rump even for a those few days, even though it was pretty bad by the 2nd day it was just such an incredible feeling.

In the end I'm not surprised, my whole life has been filled with bad stuff happening immediately after something good so when I wasn't shocked with anything.

But lets hope for the best. I hope it all works out in the end ok.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:40 AM   #17
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Good to know how much you are so caring for your baby. He seems very sweet and needs to bond with you, probably a little too much. Parrotlets are very demanding.

Oliver was about 10 weeks when I got him. He was well established but still very little/skinny. He is much bigger now at almost 7 yrs. He enjoys eating from my shoulder when I place his cup there towards evening, even tho he eats well on his own. He nags me during the day-----calling and calling. I change his location to a smaller cage in a different room and is good for a while. He loves to hang out with me too much. I have to take the good with the bad behavior.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:40 AM   #18
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Good to know you are so caring for your baby. He seems very sweet and needs to bond with you, probably a little too much. Parrotlets are very demanding.

Oliver was about 10 weeks when I got him. He was well established but still very little/skinny. He is much bigger now at almost 7 yrs. He enjoys eating from my shoulder when I place his cup there towards evening, even tho he eats well on his own. He nags me during the day-----calling and calling. I change his location to a smaller cage in a different room and is good for a while. He loves to hang out with me too much. I have to take the good with the bad behavior.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #19
Joeyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindav View Post
Good to know you are so caring for your baby. He seems very sweet and needs to bond with you, probably a little too much. Parrotlets are very demanding.

You may have not seen my new post but sadly thing's didn't work out. Super sad about it all, but I do have another baby boy green rump coming in 2 months.