Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Notices

Sounds and behaviour

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 776 times.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #1
randaloretta

randaloretta is on a distinguished road

Sounds and behaviour

Hey everyone, I posted on here a while ago about my parrotlets behaviour problems. Not much has changed, he’s mostly always wound up and kind of making what I think are aggressive sounds at everything he flies or walks over to. For example he just hopped up onto the sofa and started attacking the remote control and making sounds that kinda sound like a gross between a pig grunt and chirps?! Trying to to figure out how I can attach a sound bite on here.

I worry that he’s bored although I allow him out from roughly 1pm-6:30pm every day and me and my boyfriend are in the same room as him, talking to him and interacting with him on and off all day. I’ll be honest in that I am a little scared of him these days as he’s so aggressive. He’s 8 years old soon if that makes any difference. Does anyone have tips or suggestions for helping us make him less aggressive and maybe things that would provide him with more entertainment? I’ve bought him so many toys over the years but feels like all he wants to do is attack bags and chew cardboard!
randaloretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

He sounds like a typical male p'lett. If he is out as long as you say he is and you do interact with him, is he vicious all the time towards you or your boyfriend? That sound you hear sounds like, to me, like a warning sound that he uses to kind of protect his territory or tell an object that he is the boss!

Does he step up? Does he talk at all? Do you ever give him treats? Have you ever taken, let's say, hemp seeds and fed them to him one at a time while he is outside the cage? Do you know who he has bonded with the most? Does he get 12 hours of darkness at night?

These are just questions you can answer for us so we can get to know him a little. Tell us what he likes or dislikes for you to do to him, etc..

David and Vicki
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:23 PM   #3
Anya

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Anya will become famous soon enough

David is right - make sure he is getting enough sleep. A tired bird is a grumpy bird. I personally, let my bird sleep 13-14 hours a night and she loves it. I have noticed she doesn't bite as much anymore.

When he goes to bite you, give him a toy to chew on instead.

What do you feed your bird? I think that diet may play a factor in the behavior of our birds.

It sounds like your bird has a lot of pent up energy. Get him exercising. Try to teach him tricks and foraging. Help him burn off some of that excessive energy.
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote