Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Is elderberry flowers safe to eat ? etc

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 173 times.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
Misschris

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Misschris is on a distinguished road

Is elderberry flowers safe to eat ? etc

Dear fellow parronts ! ☺️

I hope that you and your little fluffy gold nugget/s are doing well and are enjoying life together. 😊

There’s not a day going by, where I don’t think about how lucky I am, that I have my parrotlet Charlie in my life, and how lonely I otherwise would be, if it was’nt for him. ☺️

I appologize for the inconvineance, but I have a little question about the elderberry tree, the berries, - and especially the elderblossoms.

I’ve read so many opposite answers about whether or not to give your parrot the berries; elderberries.
I’ve also read that you should not give them the leaves or branches from an elderberry tree.
- Is that true ?

But I can’t find any info about whether or not it’s safe to give the flowers from elderberry trees, - the elderblossoms ?
So as you might can guess, I’m very confused about what to do, and there’s so many elderberry trees where I live, so that if the blossoms or berrys were healthy it would be such a waste not to feed them to Charlie.
But of course; I want to be totally sure about it first !!

- So, is it safe, and possible healthy, to give elderblossoms to my parrotlet..?

And what about the branches and berries too ?

I really hope you guys can help me out, pretty please. 😊

Kindest regards,
Christine and Charlie. ☺️
Misschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enough

Hi Christine! No, don’t ever apologize for asking questions. It’s good to ask questions! The more we know, the better off our birds will be!

Elderberry roots, leaves, stems and bark are toxic - Some contain natural pest defenses such as cyanide or strychnine.

As for the berries, only fully ripe berries can be consumed. You said there are a lot of elderberry trees near you. Be careful, you don’t know if those trees have been sprayed by poisonous herbicides used to get rid of weeds. That would be deadly. You’d have to wash them very well. To me, I don’t think it’s worth it. There are plenty of other healthy safe foods for our birds to eat.

I found one link that mentions that elderberry flowers are safe, but in moderation. It goes on to say, Edible flowers aren’t typically something birds eat and their unique textures can provide an enriching, foraging-type of activity for them”. So, chances are that Charlie won’t even eat them. Sorry, Charlie. ;-)

Ihttps://petcentral.chewy.com/bird-safe-edible-flowers/

Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
NorthernGannet

NorthernGannet is on a distinguished road

Please make sure you know which species you have! The common Sambucus canadensis (basically =Sambucus nigra in the UK) is ok following the guidelines that Anya posted, but Sambucus pubens is toxic and should be avoided altogether. There are other species of Elderberry too, and I don't know about them.

-NG
NorthernGannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enough

NG - From what I remember reading, the US has the European Elderberry (also called the black), the red and the blue varieties (I can't remember the Latin for them), but, all are toxic to humans. They have to be fully ripe and cooked before humans can eat them. The red elderberries need the seeds to be removed first before cooking. I'm sorry, I wasn't clear when I said they need to be ripe to be consumed, I should have made it clearer that I was referring to birds.
Wild birds eat elderberries, but not all of them do. I don't know if we know enough about elderberries to give them to our birds. Unless, someone out there knows better?

Last edited by Anya; 06-24-2020 at 03:40 PM..
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

There is an elderberry wine that my wife's granny used to make in Kansas. Does anyone know which elderberry this comes from? Is this elderberry edible for birds?

Granny used to send us some, but we do not drink any alcohol at all. Not even wine.

David and Vicki
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #6
NorthernGannet

NorthernGannet is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'm not sure on all the varieties we have in the US. The Flora of Missouri says the "common Elderberry" (S. canadensis) fruits should be cooked but can also be eaten raw by humans if only a few are eaten, since apparently they have mild toxins. It mentions using the flowers in tea and stuff though, so maybe the flowers are ok.

http://legacy.tropicos.org/Name/6000053?projectid=23

Another species though is considered unpalatable (for just humans, or for animals too?)

http://legacy.tropicos.org/Name/6000292?projectid=23

I honestly don't know, but I do know I wouldn't feel comfortable identifying which species is in front of me.

-NG
NorthernGannet is offline   Reply With Quote