Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

The birds outside + our parrots

This thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 435 times.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:18 PM   #11
Anya

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Anya will become famous soon enough

The video of Monty yelling at the birds is so cute! It made me laugh!

When Cleopatra was a baby, hummingbirds at the feeder made her nervous, zipping around as fast as they do, but she got use to them. Now, if they see or hear her, they'll sometimes come right up to the window or sliding glass doors to get a peek at her and she doesn't mind one bit!
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #12
laracroft

Parrotlets Owned: 1

laracroft will become famous soon enough

Micah pretty much ignores the windows (and there's no place for me to put a bird feeder outside, I'm in an apartment in the city) but every once in awhile he'll get in a shouting match with an Outside Bird. It's pretty adorable, he gets so indignant. If it happened more often it might get old, but I'm on a pretty busy street, so it's not a big deal.

I did a social distancing picnic with my mom and sister today (We all sat on separate blankets a good distance apart and brought our own food. I know things are starting to open up some places, but my mom is high risk and my sister is a nurse, so we're still being very careful) and saw both a cardinal and a blue jay! Mom and I had a mock-debate over whether the Outside Birds or Micah had a better deal. We agreed that Micah did, but that both would be very confused by the other's lifestyle.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
aqueilo

aqueilo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroft View Post
Micah pretty much ignores the windows (and there's no place for me to put a bird feeder outside, I'm in an apartment in the city) but every once in awhile he'll get in a shouting match with an Outside Bird. It's pretty adorable, he gets so indignant. If it happened more often it might get old, but I'm on a pretty busy street, so it's not a big deal.

I did a social distancing picnic with my mom and sister today (We all sat on separate blankets a good distance apart and brought our own food. I know things are starting to open up some places, but my mom is high risk and my sister is a nurse, so we're still being very careful) and saw both a cardinal and a blue jay! Mom and I had a mock-debate over whether the Outside Birds or Micah had a better deal. We agreed that Micah did, but that both would be very confused by the other's lifestyle.
That's so sweet. Maybe I can convince my partner to take me on a picnic . Its our 4 year anniversary in August. It was my Dad and BIL's birthdays last week so I went to visit my parents. Ontario is allowing these "social bubbles" so our household (me and my partner) only go and see my parents in their house and none of us are high risk. It was really nice and we went for a nice walk (they live further out of the city) and I saw my first nuthatch! Another blue jay has shown up in the yard with the first one so I think they are a couple, which is sweet. I'm fond of the jays and cardinals. Monty is fine with the jays and I think he might be warming up to the cardinals a bit.

Anyway, since that was all unrelated to parrotlets, I have a great video of Monty saying his second favourite phrase - will post in a new thread.

aqueilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #14
aqueilo

aqueilo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernGannet View Post
Thanks for the vid! I noticed you have a couple of those scarf/tie hanger things. What are they wrapped with? Where did you find them? I was thinking about getting some but when I looked on Amazon (this was awhile ago) all I could find were dyed ratan ones. Aside from not wanting the dye, they looked slippery.

-NG
They are from IKEA - https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/komplem...hite-60387211/

They are just plastic wrapped (like, fake plastic material like stuff). Monty does not really chew on it, he mostly just rubs his beak on it to get food off etc. His breeder had some and they are the perfect size for these little guys.
If you are worried because your bird is a chewer then they may not be suitable, but Monty has never been interested and I do check the rings every once in a while.

I have one in the living room and one in the office and Monty loves both because he can look out the window and chew on wood at the same time.

aqueilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #15
NorthernGannet

NorthernGannet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqueilo View Post
They are from IKEA - https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/komplem...hite-60387211/

They are just plastic wrapped (like, fake plastic material like stuff). Monty does not really chew on it, he mostly just rubs his beak on it to get food off etc. His breeder had some and they are the perfect size for these little guys.
If you are worried because your bird is a chewer then they may not be suitable, but Monty has never been interested and I do check the rings every once in a while.

I have one in the living room and one in the office and Monty loves both because he can look out the window and chew on wood at the same time.

Cool, thanks!!
NorthernGannet is offline   Reply With Quote