Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Pictures

Parrotlet Pictures Share your pictures of your little feathered friends here!

Notices

Meet Cookie!!

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 270 times.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
ChristiSharon

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

ChristiSharon is on a distinguished road

Meet Cookie!!

Hello! I know I haven't posted in a while, but it's been stressful dealing with this breeder. Cookie is adorable and sweet, but I'm getting two different stories as far as her age - we picked her up instead of having her delivered, and the woman who gave her to me later told me she was ten months old, the breeder said she is four months old. The breeder does not know her birthday. The breeder cannot explain why the video they posted on Youtube of her has her sporting a leg band, but Cookie has no such band. Additionally, she is not trained, for which I paid $150. She seems otherwise healthy and is starting to bond with me. I love her! The only issue I have right now is not knowing when to remove the millet from her cage and only give twice a week. Right now she has millet all of the time (she's been with me 1.5 weeks) and prefers that over the seed/pellet mix or veggies. I've tried sprinkling millet over a few corn kernels and peas that have been mixed with brown rice & scrambled egg but she won't eat it. Suggestions are welcome! I also need a vet recommendation for Hobe Sound/Jupiter area in Florida. Happy Holidays to all!

Christi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cookie close up.jpg (86.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Rubydoo252; 12-31-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: We do not openly discuss breeders on the forum.
ChristiSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: two

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Christi,

There are many different ways to get a bird to eat the correct foods. Most of the problem is getting the correct mix that Cookie likes. Sunflower seeds are extremely fattening and long term, it is not a good idea to feed too many to her. A few a day is okay for right now.

Let everyone in this forum know what mix of foods you are serving Cookie. You will get some great suggestions. A good Cockatiel mix is okay for a parrotlet. With my 2 p'letts, I made a mix up myself. I bought individual seeds and some pellets sprinkled in. You have only had Cookie about 10 days and she is still settling in. Young p'letts usually do not have a veggie yearning. But still, put a fresh broccoli floret in her cage next to a perch where she sits a lot. Eventually she will try it out. Leave it in all day...it will only wilt a little, but not spoil.

I saw the video where Cookie was supposed to be trained and you are correct...she was not trained very much. In the video, Cookie did step up after much persuasion by the woman with her. Cookie was riding on her shoulder and was snuggling against the woman's neck at the beginning of the 5 minute video. But...Cookie remained on alert and took off flying against the wall several times. I know she is clipped and too young to fly correctly.

Time is on your side. Cookie is not an aggressive bird, just immature. I know you are being patient around her and this is good. Keep approaching her quietly, easily, and offer your finger at her legs so she can figure out how to step up every time.

To the left of this page, there are forums you can read that will help you. You will get some good suggestions here.

Keep posting on this forum. People are celebrating the holidays right now, so they will be responding soon.

David and Vicki

David Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
JackieRTP

JackieRTP will become famous soon enough

Millet is recommended for the first 3 weeks to a bird is in a new home, and then can be provided as a treat afterwards or as desired. Eggs are only recommended to provide once a week or less since they can contribute to atherosclerosis.

Sunflower seeds can be safely provided as part of a diverse diet to parrotlets due to their high metabolism. They only become a problem when served as the main component of the diet.

Keep providing the vegetables as persistence is key and sometimes it can take months for them to eat them. Many people sprinkle chia seeds on top to entice their bird to eat them regularly. You can also try different presentation methods such as chopped small, bigger pieces, on a skewer, jammed in the cage bars, steamed, and so on. If you eat them with Cookie, she may become interested it them because you are eating them/

Parrotlets actually need quality seed as part of a diverse diet along with vegetables. Seeds contain plenty of important vitamins and minerals, as well as fats that your bird needs to maintain their skin and feather health. I use Higgins Sunburst cockatiel blend, Goldenfeast Australian Blend, and Goldenfeast Petite Hookbill Legume Blend for seed varieties.

Pellets are not necessary for parrotlets, and have been linked to kidney and liver issues in small bird species. They are a processed food made up of ground up seeds along with fillers like corn, soy, wheat, and synthetic vitamins (chemicals). For those who do choose to feed pellets, it should make up a very small percentage of their diet. Tops is the only brand of pellets recommended as they are produced differently than others.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Leave millet in cage 24 x 7 for a young and / or stressed bird. Personally I keep millet in all the time unless my bird start get fixated on it and will not eat a variety of food. Then it needs to be removed to get variety in the diet.

Since Cookie has only been with you for a bit over a week I would definitely keep it available for a while longer and see how, but since she is a picky eater maybe start removing it from the cage for a few hours at a time. One issue with young birds is that they are really very dumb. A lot of not eating is that they just do not understand it is food. I have had good luck teaching my guys to eat stuff by eating it (or pretending to) around / with them then the flock dynamics tend to push them to at least try it.

Sorry to hear you have had some breeder issues. Some breeders are better than others and the good ones can make your start a bit easier. But in the end it will be up to you guys to figure it out. We will be glad to help where we can.
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge - Bo
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
JackieRTP

JackieRTP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie3860 View Post
One issue with young birds is that they are really very dumb.
It is from a lack of experience and exposure - not from being dumb.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:49 PM   #6
ChristiSharon

ChristiSharon is on a distinguished road

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions - it's so appreciated! I'm still offering different things every day in the hopes that she'll try something. I'm having trouble finding the balance in respecting her territory and getting her out of her cage for exercise and bonding. I've been leaving the door open, but she won't come out on her own. She'll step up if I use a perch inside the cage and some days she's amazing exploring and using her jungle gym - wanting to be on my shoulder - but other days (like today) she doesn't seem to want to come out at all. Her cage is big with lots of different perches and toys, and maybe I should just leave her alone to get acclimated? I worry about her not getting enough exercise and not being handled enough. She chirped a lot today inside her cage and she always half closes her eyes and chatters her beak when I talk to her, so I feel like she's communicating with me? She's eating lots of millet and drinking lots of water so that's good! I've made an appointment with the vet on Monday to make sure she's healthy and see if we can pinpoint an age (not sure if that's possible). Thanks again SO MUCH!

Christi & Cookie
ChristiSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:59 AM   #7
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

The vet appointment is a good idea. The half-closed eyes and chattering beak sounds promising - if she is terrified of you, should wouldn't let her guard down. The vet should be able to tell you if you have a juvenile bird or an adult bird. Unfortunately, after they hit adulthood, birds don't give indications of their age (unlike dogs or cats) so you might not get detailed answers. But a strong relationship with an avian vet is always a good situation.
Hanging out near her cage is a good way to work on the bond. Read to her, sing to her, just generally get to know her. You are working on building a long relationship, so patience is important.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:17 PM   #8
Evelyn

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Evelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to all

Little late but congrats on getting her, you already have good advice. Take all the time you need with her. I have a little boy that is not tame yet and he is a year old this month. He throws veggies on bottom of cage. Love the name Cookie.

Noah, hatched in Jan 2020,, American Turquoise
Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote