Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Breeding

Parrotlet Breeding If you're interested in breeding your parrotlets, this is the place for you!

Notices

Spring has me worried

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 148 times.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:11 PM   #1
birdeet

Parrotlets Owned: 5
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

birdeet is on a distinguished road

Spring has me worried

So after having parrotlets for 25+ years, this is my first go round with a female housed with a male. They are so much fun together but I realize I will have to deal with breeding this spring. i have a reputable bird store nearby that has already offered to buy babies but what do I need to do to prepare in the meantime? i wish birdie contraceptives were around I am worried that I will become too attached to babies and before I know it will be over run!
birdeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2021, 11:21 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: two
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

HI!
I guess you don't have 2 cages? Because if your two p'letts are compatible, they will find a place to lay eggs in one cage, most likely. You really don't want this. You have to set up a nesting box and start serving special foods.

The best thing you should do is to go on You Tube and search for video topics for " Parrotlet nest box set up videos " etc.

There will be forum members who will give you more advice. There is a lot to do.

David and Vicki
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:14 AM   #3
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

You are aware that parrotlets can breed multiple times a year?
Also they may not breed at all. Every pair is a bit different.
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge - Bo
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2021, 01:24 AM   #4
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

I had a pair that was bonded, and they lived in the same cage. I experimented with them living together and apart and they did well in both scenarios. When they did live in the same cage, they would mate occasionally but my female never laid eggs and it did not become an issue as I was once worried it would be. Especially if you do not provide any nesting material or nest box in the cage you may not have a problem, you can do as I did and experiment with them staying in the same cage. If you're female does end up laying an egg, then you could separate them and put them side by side and try to stop the egg laying or if you decide you want to let them go ahead and breed then you could provide the nest box but like I said you may not have to do anything at all they may live together just. As mentioned all pairs are different

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: Many

JackieRTP will become famous soon enough

Having a male and female parrotlet caged together has a high likelihood of it leading to breeding. They potentially may lay eggs even without a nest box, but providing a nest box itself will often promote this behavior. I would not recommend putting in a nest box at this time or at all. If she lays eggs, you can place them in a shallow dish and allow her to sit on them until she gets bored or until the typical time frame has passed.

It is not recommended to breed pet birds unless you have done extensive research before allowing them to do so and have the necessary materials on hand. There is a lot to it and your birds may not be genetically compatible (there are certain mutations that should not be bred together). If you do not know the genetic background of each bird's parents, then these are birds that should not be bred together.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:20 PM   #6
Anya

Anya has a spectacular aura aboutAnya has a spectacular aura about

It would be best to separate your male and female birds in separate cages if you are not ready to breed them right away this is to avoid unwanted egg-laying and/or overactive hormonal behavior. You must have your female in good health for her to lay eggs. She needs to have enough calcium in her body to be able to lay eggs without having any complications. Chronic egg-laying is a serious problem that can endanger her life.

Breeding and looking after baby birds is not easy. It is important that you know exactly what you are getting yourself into before you start. There is also a lot to consider. The cost to breed birds can be expensive do you have the finances for it? It is time consuming. Do you have the time for all the work it entails? Are you willing to get up during the night for feedings?

You really need to know what you are doing. Please do not jump into this without taking the time to educate yourself. There are many things that could go wrong and that is why I think it is best to leave breeding to the experts. As mentioned before, the gene pool in the US is limited and you do not want to pair two parrotlets that will produce inbred, sick, and short-lived birds. Unfortunately, there are too many out there already.
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote