Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

~~~~It's Been Two Years Since Bogie Passed ~~~~

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Bigboy 
#1 ·
Wow! Bogie passed on 9-24-2018. He was Ten years and two weeks old when we had to put him down. I can't kid myself...time has not healed any wounds in this family! Even though this is 9-29-20, just a few days past Bogie's passing date, I couldn't bring myself to make this thread. So much bad has happened this year, I can't handle much more negative news.

So, I just want to say that even though things are bad in this world, I thank God that I have memories to look back on. I was reading the local section of our newspaper at the breakfast table, like I have done for 47 years, when Vicki looked at me and started a conversation about Bogie. She was sitting across the table from me. She said, " David. The way you are holding the newspaper up and reading it reminds me of the ten years Bogie shared our breakfast table with us."

" Oh, really? What is all the excitement about? "

" Well, when you hold the newspaper up, I can see the back page ( in color) where the image of the state of Florida is ( it covered about two thirds of the page. The page was a page about the weather) ."

" Good for you! You see our state...And? " I said.

Vicki added, " Well, remember when Bogie used to walk over to you and look at the image of Florida? "

" Yes, I remember! And you always said for me to look at Bogie because he looked like he was reading the facts and figures and checking to see what the weather was going to be like. "

We both started to laugh about the memory. Every day, Bogie would run to the paper when I opened up the local section. He never approached me when I read the main section or the advertisements. It was always the weather page! It was in color and he loved to look at it. He looked like he was reading the words because he would slowly move his head from left to right, over and over again. As long as I held the paper up, he was there! He never missed a day until he got sick.

I am not kidding! He must have loved the shape and color of Florida. I could see him scan up and down the state. I know colors excited him. If I opened up a magazine that was in color, Bogie would get on the magazine and look it over as much as he could!

After this morning's memory session with Vicki, I went over to her and gave her a big hug and kiss! Her memory reminder uplifted me for most of the whole day. I got out Bogie's life journal and read all about that tremendous little guy! My God! The things he got into! The things he accomplished! He was no other ordinary bird! He was.....Bogie!

David and Vicki;):rolleyes:

See less See more
#3 ·
I cannot believe that it has been two years since you lost your beloved Bogie already. Where has the time gone? I think about all the wonderful things he did. I love the time you snuck him into the hospital to see your mom. That was grrreat. I know that there are a lot of us on here that miss Bogie. We will never forget him. He was a great bird.

#4 ·
Thanks for your comments! Anya, when you mentioned me sneaking Bogie into the nursing home, it brought back memories! I thought I succeeded in getting him in and out without being noticed, but about a year after this happened, I ran into the nurse who was assigned to my mother. She was the same nurse who was with my mother when she died a week after the sneak-in.

The nurse recognized me and asked how I was doing. I told her, just fine. Then, she mentioned the word, Buggie! I told her it was, Bogie, not Buggie, and told her who he was. I asked how did she know him and she said, " It was all your mother could talk about the next day! We thought she made Bogie up!....We thought she had dreamed him up! "

It made me feel good that, as sick as my mother was at the time, that she remembered Bogie and told everyone about him.

I will never forget that night I took him to see GrandMa.

Dave;)

#7 ·
I am a little moody tonight. I have been having dreams about Bogie, lately, and last night it was about another bird. I had never seen this bird before . It was a blue parrot-let and he did not like humans at all. In the dream, the first thing I remembered was bringing this blue p'lett home and opening his cage. He immediately flew out at me and I had to follow him all over the place while waiting for a chance to get him back in the cage.

I was sent videos of him with the breeder and he seemed real nice in the videos. He stepped up and gave the breeder a kiss, etc. I was sold! I do not know how he ended up at my house, so that much was a mystery. I got him back into his cage by making him into a bird burrito by wrapping him in a towel. This bird was more than vicious!

For my sake, I hope I do not have this dream for 3 times in a row! I have certifiable evidence on what may happen if I dream this 3 times in a row. You all will be the first to know about my next dream, if I have it. ( I have had 16 , ' set of three' dreams in my life and these dreams all had a deja vu type of ending). I take these dreams as a warning, of sorts.

Dave;)

#9 ·
It is amazing how much of our heart and soul is stolen / given to our little guys. I still get teary eyed thinking about Bo, now dead 7 years. No other pets have had this effect on me.

#10 ·
I know what you mean about how our birds ( and other pets ) stay in our emotions. Forty-six years ago, Vicki and I brought home an Australian Terrier ( a little larger than Toto, on the Wizard of Oz ). His name was SquatLee. He was one of the most photogenic dogs I have ever seen! He was as smart as a whip and had a tremendous personality! We had him for only 8 months and during this time, we fought an illness that he suffered from since birth.

The place we bought him from was top notch and SquatLee was born in Orlando, not a puppy mill. We took him back to the place we bought him from and they were going to put him through an extensive medical program with a good vet. His orders were messed up and when we returned to pick him up ( after 5 days), we were told that they had to put him down! Without telling us or getting permission to do this! We went to pick him up and they said he was gone.

I asked for his paperwork and found that they never put him on the medication program....they euthanized him the day we brought him in! They messed up! And the clerk who told us this, said, " Well, he never had a chance and you can just get another one! "
I grabbed that ^%%^$#@^^!! around the neck and Vicki had to pull me off of him!

To this day, when I think of SquatLee, it gets me down. Both Vicki and I really had a hard time with his death. I became very depressed over this. After all this time, I still miss that pet.

I went back to taking care of birds.

David and Vicki;):rolleyes:

#11 ·
Oooops!

Vicki read this earlier this evening and said that I didn't grab the store worker by the neck. She said I grabbed him by the front of his collar and shook him. Sorry about the wrong info! It sure felt like his neck! Heck, it was 46 years ago!

I'm old! Whip me with a wet noodle if that will make you feel better! haha!:) ( am I losing my memory? :confused::confused: ).

David

#12 ·
OMG, what a terrible story. I would have held on to that guy's collar to this day. How awful that a person so unfeeling could work in a place like that. NO ONE is replaceable, especially a beloved family member. A pet is just that a member of the family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.