Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Housing Multiple Birds - Fighting

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  NorthernGannet 
#1 ·
I was just curious with how people manage having multiple birds in the same house. I know they need separate cages and possibly outside time but do you ever have them fighting through the cage bars? (trying to grab each other)

I had posted about maybe getting a pair of finch on a finch forum asking a few questions and they said that my Pip might try to attack/grab the finch through the cage bars. Now this might make a little more sense with two parrotlets one might try to grab the others toe as they climb around on the cage. Like if one was inside and the other outside of the cage but I don't think finch climb around on cage bars like that I thought they mostly hopped/flew around.

I honestly don't know how Pip would react to another bird that's why I had figured the finch might be the best option because they can be in their cage 24/7 as long as it is large enough cage.

#2 ·
It's really hard for me to say I have 4 birds and not 5 anymore. :(

The flock dynamic is tricky. Each bird has their own personality, their own bond with the humans, and then a different attitude towards each other. All my birds have separate cages, only Tobie and Lilly were allowed in the same cage or sharing a wall divider. You kind of trial and error through close supervision of them who can handle being out, when, who is most likely to start WWIII. :rolleyes:

Three of my five birds got a toe bite. Tobie's toe was bit on a play date by a jealous female parrotlet that belongs to my friend. They were in a cage, he got bit through the bars. It was a bleeder but not too bad. Jasper got bit when were getting ready for a trip, Melody has never been aggressive with him sitting on her cage before but this was different because we put her in a travel cage. Jasper landed on it and she almost bit his toe off. It was bad but the toe survived. After that we started covering just the top of Melodys cage but that didn't save Rosey from looseing a toe nail. I'm not sure what happened to Rosey but I think it was Lilly who took her nail off. So now the top of her cage is covered too.

It's tricky because for the most part they coexist alright and everyone follows a routine but then BAM - something happens. Jasper and Rosey (my Bourks) are non aggressive and don't get into trouble by themselves so they have the most time out. Melody must be supervised at all times without exception. If she's out she's with a human. She is not interested in the Bourks, but sometimes Jasper will dive bomb her or chase her. We had to ground him to his cage the other day. Lilly is tricky. She will flat out attack Melody so IF we have them both out we are on high alert making sure they stay away from each other. Usually for Lilly I will completely cover Melody (except her window view) and then Lilly will go between me or sitting on the boing or the cage.

If you can't tell from my post, it's exausting. I am so thankful my Husband loves them as much as me because he does a lot of the bird wrangling and everyone has a different bedtime routine and on and on.... Multiple birds- not for the faint of heart.

#3 · (Edited)
They had suggested covering the finch cage but I think with finch it would be okay. I know they don't have the same bite as a hookbill so I don't think they would hurt Pip through the bars. I also think as long as you put in enough perches they would be able to move away from Pip if he was to land on their cage.

I could put them in my bedroom but that kind of takes the whole point out of having them I want to see them. I know that when I play a finch video Pip doesn't react like he does when I play a parrotlet video. He does not seem to care about the finch videos at all. I am sure he would be like glue to them for a while in real life but after he got used to them I think he would be okay.

#4 ·
I don't think you would have to worry about the finch making problems. It's the Parrotlet beak that do the damage. He's so accustomed to you, my guess is that he would pretty much ignore the finch altogether.

#6 ·
I don't know how he would fly into their cage I would make sure to keep it closed when Pip was out.

I am still just thinking about things. I keep watching finch videos and can not even decide what kind of finch I would want. I like the zebra, owl and gouldian finch so far. They all have different things I like about them so it makes it hard to decide.. hehe

#7 ·
I'm late to the game, but here's my recent experience. I had Luna, and her cage is sort of a center point just to the right of my desk, in front of my window. Then I got a linnie (x2 after I discovered 2 are happier than 1). Their cage is on the far side of my desk, about 3 feet to the left of Luna's cage (my monitor/keyboard are in between LOL). All are fully flighted and out when I'm home.

Let's just say I tried very hard to make rules. Luna was not allowed on Linnie cage, and the linnies were not allowed on Luna's cage. At first, it worked pretty well, they each pretty much stayed in their own areas.

But then, I got a third linnie who is not being accepted by my initial two. So, a third cage is squashed into my little space (this was NOT the plan!!). Luna remained surprisingly willing to (mostly) follow the rules. The linnies, however, were not. For whatever reason they all decided that Luna's cage was an irresistible magnet. And nope, she didn't like it. Whether she was in it or out of it, it was a constant "who's going to get to the linnies first ... Luna or me." So finally I gave up and was forced to put a piece of clear vinyl over the top of Luna's cage because I know she would've eventually gotten someone's toe from the inside. She was mad about it for a day or two, but she got over it. Now nobody can land there (it's slanted).

On occasion she will fly over to the duo's cage and a noisy beaking argument will usually ensue between the bars; I always have to break it up because one of the linnies does not back down. He's as bad as Luna!

Soo... I'd say basically you'll have to be an active playground supervisor if you have multiple cages.

-NG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.