Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

Notices

Are any of these veggies good?

I have an odd collection of greens at hand!

This thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 237 times.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #1
sofam

sofam is on a distinguished road

Are any of these veggies good?

Hey pals! I hope everyone's doing well!

So, it happens that I have to give my dog natural food, due to allergies, which means I have a bunch of veggies that I prepare every 20 days or so. I always end up with some extra of these veggies, and I haven't been able to find anything about it in this forum specifically. My parrotlet LOVES broccoli, so I always give her some of that, as well as carrots, which are included in my dog's diet!
But I also always have extra beets and chayote, which I haven't heard much about. I don't think she would like chayote, she's particularly picky about slimy things hahah but I'd try if I knew it was safe
I also have at hand this week carrot tops and beet greens. Other parrot owners seem to have no problem giving them, but I wonder if anyone has any luck with our little ones?
sofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Beets are safe for birds, but be aware that it causes their poop to turn the red color of the beets. Cayote squash is also safe for birds. The leafy green carrot tops are good for them to eat and nibble on, as well as the carrot top themselves. Beet greens are also safe for them to eat.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enough

I knew beets were okay for our little guys, but have never heard of giving birds chayote. To be honest, I didn't even know what it was. I have never seen it listed on any of the suggested foods for birds. Thanks Jackie for the info. If chayote is slimy, my bird won't touch it either. She is picky, too. She hates wet and slimy.

On the subject of fresh produce - I ordered groceries online this week for pickup and when I got home, I found out that they were out of strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. All of Cleo's favorites. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems getting fresh produce for their birds due to the pandemic...
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya View Post
I knew beets were okay for our little guys, but have never heard of giving birds chayote. To be honest, I didn't even know what it was. I have never seen it listed on any of the suggested foods for birds. Thanks Jackie for the info. If chayote is slimy, my bird won't touch it either. She is picky, too. She hates wet and slimy.

On the subject of fresh produce - I ordered groceries online this week for pickup and when I got home, I found out that they were out of strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. All of Cleo's favorites. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems getting fresh produce for their birds due to the pandemic...
Here in Florida, there hasn't been a shortage of berries, yet, but the quality is not as good. Vicki puts all kinds of fresh berries in her oatmeal in the mornings. Last Sunday, we stocked up on berries, almonds, and apples. This virus is not getting better in the USA. We wash and soak our fresh veggies and treat them under the UV light.

Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:18 PM   #5
JackieRTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya View Post

The shopper who selected your groceries may have just shopped your order when the produce was not put out yet or the space had been emptied out, which is common first thing in the morning, late at night, or on weekends. Once your order is complete, they move on to the next order and do not go back to previous orders - even if the produce department has put out produce that was missing in an order that they just shopped. Fresh berries are readily available in most areas.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #6
JackieRTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Here in Florida, there hasn't been a shortage of berries, yet, but the quality is not as good. Vicki puts all kinds of fresh berries in her oatmeal in the mornings. Last Sunday, we stocked up on berries, almonds, and apples. This virus is not getting better in the USA. We wash and soak our fresh veggies and treat them under the UV light.

Dave
Per the WHO, there is currently no evidence that people can catch COVID-19 from food or food packaging. COVID-19 is a respiratory illness and the transmission route is through person-to-person contact and through direct contact with respiratory droplets generated when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

Regarding the virus living on the surfaces of fruits and vegetables, the WHO says that coronaviruses cannot multiply in food – they need a live animal or human host to multiply and survive.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...g-to-consumers
Old 08-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
The shopper who selected your groceries may have just shopped your order when the produce was not put out yet or the space had been emptied out, which is common first thing in the morning, late at night, or on weekends. Once your order is complete, they move on to the next order and do not go back to previous orders - even if the produce department has put out produce that was missing in an order that they just shopped. Fresh berries are readily available in most areas.
Yeah, you are right, that is probably how they do it, but Iíve never scheduled any pickups at those times or on the weekends. It doesn't happen all the time, but there has a few times that I haven't gotten the fruit and veggies I've ordered. I think the shocker is that I live in California which supplies most of the country's produce. Produce is usually bountiful here. I never imagined that I could not get seasonal fruit and vegetables when I wanted them. The main reason has to be because of the pandemic. I'd probably have a better chance by going into the store, but because I live in a hot spot, I'm not doing that right now.

I've placed another order, so hopefully I get them this time. There is a little green bird that is missing her yum yums!
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #8
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
I never thought about that your probably right. I always have a problem getting the lettuce I want, it's like I order any other lettuce but Romain and end up with.... Romain. Lol

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #9
MnM

MnM is on a distinguished road

Hi! I’ve been making birdie mash for my birds for a few years (budgie, parrotlet and a dove).

They are all older birds and I recently lost a 12 year old female budgie to gout 😣 (high protein from seeds/pellets, calcium supplements, egg laying and several infections later).

My parrotlet has gone through liver issues, which he recovered from. But he’s now having high glucose issues.

So what I’ve learned is to have your birbies live long, good quality lives you have to offer them as varied diets as possible. With as many different veggies as they’ll eat. Just do a quick search and verify that several sites confirm the veggies/fruits to be safe before using them.

When my birbies were young they were on an all seed diet with some veggies here and there. I was young myself and didn’t know any better. Two and a half years ago I was able to switch them to pellets with the occasional seed treat and 2-4 times gave them mash. Still I lost my oldest budgie this year, and my parrotlet has had liver/possible diabetes issues. I firmly believe all-pellet or all-seed diet is bad. They need a good variety to keep all their organs functioning at optimal levels

Also! Exercise! Let them fly as in the wild they’d fly a lot and get good daily exercise. We are hoping to set up an aviary for our birds, but for now we let them fly in certain bird-safe rooms. Just always make sure your windows are covered with blinds or curtains.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/safe-v...t-birds-390623

Last edited by MnM; 08-11-2020 at 06:07 PM..
MnM is online now   Reply With Quote