Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Hubby vs Herbie

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 138 times.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
Diane R

Diane R is on a distinguished road

Hubby vs Herbie

Herbie comes out of his cage whenever we are in the house and is pretty much a velcro bird with Adam (son) and myself. Hubby (Steve) doesn't spend as much time in the same room as Herbie as we do, but Herbie has landed on his head, shoulders etc when he's about. Steve doesn't make as much fuss of him as we do, but is still very fond on the little fella. The last few evenings though, when we're watching TV after dinner, Herbie has gone to visit Steve on his chair, will land on his front and start nibbling at buttons, then work his way up to his chin. He'll nibble for a little while then there'll be a big nasty bite. Steve will try to step him up and move him away, but again, he'll bite him on the hand, and hard. Steve will shake Herbie off of his hand with words one shouldn't mention on a forum! and Herbie will come back to me. I've given Steve one of Herbie's chew toys and told him if he starts nibbling to hold the toy for him to nibble and play with. This worked for a while, but then he turned round and we're back to square one.

We're now at 3 months of approx (hopefully) 15 ish? years. I really don't want this to be how our evenings go for that time.

I really don't know what it is about Steve he's taken a dislike to, he doesn't want to be absolute besties with him like myself and Adam, but a happy medium where he'd perhaps do a step up or two or allow a tickle now and then would be great, so and any suggestions on how to improve their relationship would be gratefully appreciated.

Maybe Steve should be the one to, rather than shake him off, get hold of him, biting or not and put him into his cage with a "bad boy"?

Diane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 10:52 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

I had this problem with Ricochet. When we first brought him home, he was 10 weeks old and the sweetest bird ever! You could hold him upside down, in your hands, pick him up and carry him anywhere in the home. He never bit me or Vicki. Once he hit 4-5 months, puberty set in and....change time! He became a biter with a nasty attitude.

I wrote to this forum for help. I tried everything to get Ricochet to settle down. Gentle beak, ignoring his attitude, etc. He did exactly the same thing to me, like your hubby is going through. Crawl up my chest and play, then nibble my neck, then,,,,bite the you know what out of me!

Ricochet got bad. He didn't just bite, he took chunks out of me the size of your small fingernail. I bled badly. I didn't know when to trust him. I had 22 bites on my arms.

Then, I did this and it worked....You answered you own question at the end of your thread. When I got bit ( he never bit Vicki, my wife), I grabbed him gently, which he didn't mind, and put him in his cage for a time out! As I took him to his cage, I said, " Bad bird! Bad bird! NO bite. No bite. " in a strong voice, but I did not yell at him or thrust him into the cage.

It took a week and many trips to the cage, but he stopped biting me! As I got bit, I said, " No bite. No bite" so he could hear and get to know that biting is bad. I had to be consistent.

David and Ricochet.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
Diane R

Thank you David. I did find an earlier thread which included your post about Ricochet. I guess I did answer my own question didn't I. It should be Steve that puts him away not me fetch him off of Steve and put him away as he hasn't done anything wrong to me and that would confuse him. We'll see how it goes tonight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane R View Post
Thank you David. I did find an earlier thread which included your post about Ricochet. I guess I did answer my own question didn't I. It should be Steve that puts him away not me fetch him off of Steve and put him away as he hasn't done anything wrong to me and that would confuse him. We'll see how it goes tonight.
that and it needs to happen immediately. delay of even a few minutes breaks the chain in their understanding.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
Pateetchka

Parrotlets Owned: 4

Pateetchka is on a distinguished road

Another thought is this.. Joey has a set bed time every night. It's 9:30. When it hits 9:30 he usually chirps abnoxiously till I take him to bed but once in a while I somehow miss it and forget. He then starts landing on people's heads, my husband, my room mate. He lands on their shoulders and then he'll start to lunge at them. So I finally figured out that he wanted to go to bed but nobody was figuring it out. THAT or he didn't know he wanted to go to bed but was cranky from being sleepy. Either way, he hasn't done it since I started putting him to bed on time again.

Pateetchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #6
Diane R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateetchka View Post
Another thought is this.. Joey has a set bed time every night. It's 9:30. When it hits 9:30 he usually chirps abnoxiously till I take him to bed but once in a while I somehow miss it and forget. He then starts landing on people's heads, my husband, my room mate. He lands on their shoulders and then he'll start to lunge at them. So I finally figured out that he wanted to go to bed but nobody was figuring it out. THAT or he didn't know he wanted to go to bed but was cranky from being sleepy. Either way, he hasn't done it since I started putting him to bed on time again.
Little tyke.

Herbie knows when he wants to chill out. Usually he comes out after we've had dinner for a little extra play time. I have a lap tray with a cloth over it for him to play and train on. He'll be happily playing one minute, then without any notice, around 9pm, he'll fly off and sit on his boing perch on the ceiling at the rear end of the room. He'll usually land at the bottom, walk his way round to his favourite spot and then just sit, looking like a stuffed bird. Around 9ish, we'll get up, do the dishes, sort out his food, and then last thing is to get him into the cage, but he won't step up and he's very difficult to get hold of as he clings tightly on to his perch. He'll mutter all the way to his cage. We have this same routine every night.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:08 PM   #7
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Bogie used to fly past the TV every night 5 minutes before night night. He would go back and forth and back and forth and get closer and closer to the front of my face until I got up and got him to go night night. He had to have his kisses and a scritch or two.

Ozzie is right on with saying not to wait for Steve to put him in the cage for being a biter. I kept telling Ricochet, " Bad bird. No bite No bite! " all the way to the cage and Ricochet would get real still. He knew I was upset and eventually understood what a bad thing he was doing.

At first, when we put him into the cage, it was Vicki who did this because I was bleeding. He still bit me. But when I got up and put him in his cage, it worked after about 6-7 days. It is rare that he bites me now.
This forum always seems to help in one way or the other.

David, Vicki, and Ricochet

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote