Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

Hormonal Behavior and Molting

This thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 345 times.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #1
LisaSF

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

LisaSF is on a distinguished road

Hormonal Behavior and Molting

Hi there. I just adopted a 3 year old parrotlet and he seems to be extremely hormonal and is also molting. He lunges and bites and crouches and I'm wondering what I can do to calm him down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
LisaSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 04:19 PM   #2
Pateetchka

Parrotlets Owned: 4

Pateetchka is on a distinguished road

Welp, molting will put them in a bad mood. As I recently found out the hard way, take away anything that seems like it could even remotely be close to being a nest. A hut, cocoanut or anything like that. Also remove any mirrors. If you can rearrange his cage set up drastically, that should also help. Also enforce a bedtime where you can wake him up 12 hrs later and no sooner. The less sleep they have, the more cranky/hormonal they will be.

Pateetchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #3
LisaSF

Yes, he has no mirrors or nesting materials and does get this 12 hours. I'll try rearranging his cage. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 10:22 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Hi, Lisa, good to hear from you again! Do you know his background? Was he abused? This may be a reason why he is so naughty. Plus, it takes a while for some p'letts to settle down. Talk to him and be patient for a while. He should calm down, if it is in his nature.
Does he have a name?

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #5
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

How long have you had him? He's probably still adjusting to you in addition to molting and everything else, and perhaps he still needs basic bonding and training. Don't get discouraged, just keep working with him. Sweet of you to adopt the little guy.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:02 AM   #6
LisaSF

Thanks David. It’s good to be back here. I lost my beloved first parrotlet Skye suddenly to a respiratory issue last December. She was the sweetest parrotlet and such a good bird overall. She was quiet and a bit of a velcro bird. This little guy is a little high strung although he has definitely gotten a lot calmer since the first day I had him. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow and his name is Emby. Yes I know his background and am actually in contact with his previous owner. He was definitely cared for but maybe Mrs. JP3 is right and he just needs time to adjust. Emby was always with other birds and at least one person was always home and now he is a single bird and I work but he also is out of his cage a lot more with me.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:35 AM   #7
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Maybe he also has a little extra "fiesty" in his basic personality.
I've got a fiesty one myself. She's always a little extra lungy.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Old 02-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #8
LisaSF

Mrs. JP3, how to deal with the lunges? I've been trying the gentle beak technique on him and sometimes it works, I read his body language now and if I feel like he going to lunge I use a rope perch to get him to step up. I'm not sure though if this is actually going to resolve the issue. I'll give it a little more time.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:58 PM   #9
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSF View Post
Mrs. JP3, how to deal with the lunges? I've been trying the gentle beak technique on him and sometimes it works, I read his body language now and if I feel like he going to lunge I use a rope perch to get him to step up. I'm not sure though if this is actually going to resolve the issue. I'll give it a little more time.
Using the rope perch is a good idea. Does he enjoy sitting with you and or step up sometimes? It's hard honestly like you said it depends on reading them. With Melody if she lunges at me I walk away and "ignore" her. Then I go back after a few moments. Sometimes I'm lucky and she changes her attitude but others she's like "leave me alone fool I'm the boss of me"
I wish there was a magic one size fits all answer. Incentives work well, like a treat when he steps up maybe? Will he take a little seed from your fingers after he steps up on the rope perch without lunging?

Old 02-16-2020, 12:00 AM   #10
LisaSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
Using the rope perch is a good idea. Does he enjoy sitting with you and or step up sometimes? It's hard honestly like you said it depends on reading them. With Melody if she lunges at me I walk away and "ignore" her. Then I go back after a few moments. Sometimes I'm lucky and she changes her attitude but others she's like "leave me alone fool I'm the boss of me"
I wish there was a magic one size fits all answer. Incentives work well, like a treat when he steps up maybe? Will he take a little seed from your fingers after he steps up on the rope perch without lunging?
Yes he does step up for the most part and likes sitting with me. It's when he doesn't want to do something when he goes on attack mode. For example if he's on my shoulder and I ask him to step he'll lunch and try to bite. If he's sitting on my leg and he's not ready to move and I ask him to step up, he'll also lunge. He steps on to the rope perch fine.