Bird SO fixated with Barbering That I Can't Get His Attention- I feel so depressed - Page 3 - Talk Parrotlets Forums

User Menu
Forum Home
Parrotlet Gallery
Today's Posts
Register now!
Search

Advanced Search
Forums
Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Housing

Do It Yourself

Parrotlet Pictures

Your Parrotlet's Health

Parrotlet Diet

Training and Bonding

Parrotlet Breeding

Parrotlet Articles

Parrotlet Rainbow Bridge

Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

Bird SO fixated with Barbering That I Can't Get His Attention- I feel so depressed

This thread has 50 replies and has been viewed 1017 times.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:07 PM   #21
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Hi. You asked me a lot of questions and what I wrote was not my opinion. As I stated, it was from a top expert, now retired due to his age.

Your vet, and only your vet should be the one to tell you what your bird needs to eat, drink, and take as medicines. With a bird who is not doing well, there is a problem. You can get all the opinions you want, but just try to do different things that members are suggesting to try. Something might work. When I had Bogie, there was a time he refused to eat hardly anything for days. The vet couldn't figure it out. Then, a forum member stated that maybe Bogie wanted to eat with me and my wife when we ate. We put Bogie's feeding dish next to our plates when we ate and ....He started eating! All he wanted was to eat with the " flock ", instead of all alone in his cage. Flock mentality! A forum member suggested this. I became a believer in this forum!

The expert I told you about said that when you have a bird who it in some sort of distress, then regular feedings, environment, and routines must be examined and changed. We can only give you opinions.

Do we use powder vitamins or liquid? Bogie got a bad cold every 5-6 months and ended up on Baytril ( antibiotic). We adjusted his environment, etc, and he kept getting these blasted colds. He was on Harrison's High Potency pellets and dried veggies. He kept getting colds. The vet put him on a powdered vitamin for six months. It was expensive . He kept getting colds.

Then, we switched to a seed mix and a liquid vitamin called Vita Sol, by Ekotrition., along with fresh veggies that took him a while before he would start eating. No more colds. Ever! And his feathers came in a darker green ( he was a greenie). We took him off the liquid vitamin for a month, then put him back on the vitamin the following month. We rotated every other month at a cost of $4 dollars a year.
It is my opinion that you find a vet, somehow, possibly at a University that has a veterinary program if you live near one. You could write them if you are not close by.

I do not know why Bogie's original diet didn't work. I do know that he got much better when we switched to seed mixes and a different vitamin.

This may not be the best for your bird. We were desperate because each time Bogie got a cold, it was worse. Fruity pellets do have a dye in them. Ask your vet if he/she thinks it is safe. I have read that the dye causes cancers.

I see that you are getting all kinds of advice. I can only tell you what worked for us. You have to sort it all out, somehow. I had 2 English budgies that came from the same hatching. Both plucked horribly. One lived 5 years and the other 7 years. I tried everything in the book. Nothing worked. I do know that they were brothers. So, maybe plucking is genetic. If it is, maybe it is coded in your bird's behavior.

Dave

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 04:48 AM   #22
Brittydagal

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Brittydagal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Hi. You asked me a lot of questions and what I wrote was not my opinion. As I stated, it was from a top expert, now retired due to his age.

Your vet, and only your vet should be the one to tell you what your bird needs to eat, drink, and take as medicines. With a bird who is not doing well, there is a problem. You can get all the opinions you want, but just try to do different things that members are suggesting to try. Something might work. When I had Bogie, there was a time he refused to eat hardly anything for days. The vet couldn't figure it out. Then, a forum member stated that maybe Bogie wanted to eat with me and my wife when we ate. We put Bogie's feeding dish next to our plates when we ate and ....He started eating! All he wanted was to eat with the " flock ", instead of all alone in his cage. Flock mentality! A forum member suggested this. I became a believer in this forum!

The expert I told you about said that when you have a bird who it in some sort of distress, then regular feedings, environment, and routines must be examined and changed. We can only give you opinions.

Do we use powder vitamins or liquid? Bogie got a bad cold every 5-6 months and ended up on Baytril ( antibiotic). We adjusted his environment, etc, and he kept getting these blasted colds. He was on Harrison's High Potency pellets and dried veggies. He kept getting colds. The vet put him on a powdered vitamin for six months. It was expensive . He kept getting colds.

Then, we switched to a seed mix and a liquid vitamin called Vita Sol, by Ekotrition., along with fresh veggies that took him a while before he would start eating. No more colds. Ever! And his feathers came in a darker green ( he was a greenie). We took him off the liquid vitamin for a month, then put him back on the vitamin the following month. We rotated every other month at a cost of $4 dollars a year.
It is my opinion that you find a vet, somehow, possibly at a University that has a veterinary program if you live near one. You could write them if you are not close by.

I do not know why Bogie's original diet didn't work. I do know that he got much better when we switched to seed mixes and a different vitamin.

This may not be the best for your bird. We were desperate because each time Bogie got a cold, it was worse. Fruity pellets do have a dye in them. Ask your vet if he/she thinks it is safe. I have read that the dye causes cancers.

I see that you are getting all kinds of advice. I can only tell you what worked for us. You have to sort it all out, somehow. I had 2 English budgies that came from the same hatching. Both plucked horribly. One lived 5 years and the other 7 years. I tried everything in the book. Nothing worked. I do know that they were brothers. So, maybe plucking is genetic. If it is, maybe it is coded in your bird's behavior.

Dave[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]

Ok, I wasn’t sure if it stated more details you would be able to share through your reading. I understand, I’m trying to gather ideas and advice from others as my first vet basically said “Oh well” to him with no tests and his second vet doesn’t feel to have a plan moving forward despite seeming like the best avian vet I’ve ever been to. I’m just not ready to settle for “Oh well” when it’s this big of an impact on his quality of life.
I’m just trying to get as much info and advice as I can from others who might have already been through it themselves so that I can know which direction I need to head personally in. Appreciate the advice, I’ll work on changing him off the fruit pellets to a more natural version for general healths sake, seems to be suggested here by a few people.
Brittydagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:53 AM   #23
Brittydagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzie5022 View Post
I put Avicalm on my guys pellets and on his seed. trust me when they are hungry they will eat, start off with a little and gradually increase.

I did not see an improvement but I tried it. My guy seemed to mellow a bit with age, when he was two ish he was very hormonal and mean, now he is just mean [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] Just kidding, he is kind of nice when he wants to be.
Alright, thank you. Hahaha they are such little butts. It makes the times when they’re being lovey feel that much more special bc you can’t take it for granted. <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 05:04 AM   #24
Brittydagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I see you are feeding zupreem fruit pellets that kind of pellet has dyes in it for the colors so I would try to find another brand like Harrison's or Roudybush and try that. If nothing else try to get him onto the zupreem natural instead it does not have the dyes.

I doubt the dye has anything to do with the barbering/plucking but it is an easy change to try to get a healthier diet. Zupreem also adds in sugar so if you can get him on a better brand like Harrison's or Roudybush it might be better.

I am also a member of another bird forum and one of the members over there has a website with a good pellet guide that lists all the major brands with ingredient lists.. etc
https://www.lilmonstersbirdtoys.com/pellets-for-parrots
Wow I did not know that, thank you for the site it is very informative. I can’t believe his food has sugar added in it and to see that their “natural” still does sounds like we might start working on changing to another brand. Thank you, I would have never known that.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:08 AM   #25
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittydagal View Post
Ok, I wasnít sure if it stated more details you would be able to share through your reading. I understand, Iím trying to gather ideas and advice from others as my first vet basically said ďOh wellĒ to him with no tests and his second vet doesnít feel to have a plan moving forward despite seeming like the best avian vet Iíve ever been to. Iím just not ready to settle for ďOh wellĒ when itís this big of an impact on his quality of life.
Iím just trying to get as much info and advice as I can from others who might have already been through it themselves so that I can know which direction I need to head personally in. Appreciate the advice, Iíll work on changing him off the fruit pellets to a more natural version for general healths sake, seems to be suggested here by a few people.
That might be a good idea, just make sure you don't drastically change his food all at once. Try getting a pellet without coloring and/or a pellet that is not primarily corn and mix it in n slowly. Corn is cheap filler with absolutely no nutritional value, the just use that for pellets because it's convenient for the manufacturer not healthy. That's why I prefer the nutriberries, they still are vitamin fortified but the bird gets the satisfaction of eating a seed variety. (I'm not saying pellets are bad, plenty of healthy birds on pellets just choose wisely and still offer a variety)
I saw multiple vets for Lilly too. Not every vet has great advice so it's good to be discerning. I also tried the hormone shot, it did nothing. From what you said I really don't see any indication your doing something "wrong" like diet or whatever....you can drive yourself crazy wondering why. You really have done so much, I know I said this before but as an owner of a plucker myself try to remember sometimes it really is out of your control.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:16 AM   #26
Brittydagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I can tell his Avian Calm has a strong flavor bc he loves eggs and won’t eat them if they’re coated in it strongly.

Rec for powder vitamins? Is the petco/petsmart Vita-Sol good or do you have another rec? Thats drops but you can put it on pellets. If you know a good powdered one I’d be open to trying.

I did hear before that if they were on good pellets that they shouldn’t need vitamin additives. Is that not necessarily true?
Pellets are vitamin fortified, if he's eating primarily pellets you really don't need another synthetic vitamin supplement. Natural vitamin from fresh foods are always best, but I understand that dosen't always work out. I would still continue to try and feed fresh foods you never know one day he might change his mind. I actually suggest giving him a small amount of seed each day too, a Cockatiel blend is fine even just a teaspoon if you want. You can also try nutriberries, they are vitamin fortified seed. Parrotlet need seed for fat content and hydration as well as it's a natural satisfying action to crack the seeds open. Only pellets can become boring, imagine if all you got to eat was protein vitamin shakes everyday LOL

I LOVE the idea of a skin test. If you try that let me know what it's like, I'm curious.
I’ll let you know if the skin test is how we move forward!

I’ll work on offering him more fresh foods still anyways. The nutriberries probably also wouldn’t be a bad idea from an enrichment aspect too-I know it’s food but it’s in a very different fork then normal seed, I could see how it would be enriching to pick apart the ball form and go through it. Good idea to add it in, can’t hurt to try one a day or so added. A protein shake every day would definitely get sad fast!
Old 02-10-2020, 05:21 AM   #27
Brittydagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Quote:
Pellets are vitamin fortified, if he's eating primarily pellets you really don't need another synthetic vitamin supplement. Natural vitamin from fresh foods are always best, but I understand that dosen't always work out. I would still continue to try and feed fresh foods you never know one day he might change his mind. I actually suggest giving him a small amount of seed each day too, a Cockatiel blend is fine even just a teaspoon if you want. You can also try nutriberries, they are vitamin fortified seed. Parrotlet need seed for fat content and hydration as well as it's a natural satisfying action to crack the seeds open. Only pellets can become boring, imagine if all you got to eat was protein vitamin shakes everyday LOL

I LOVE the idea of a skin test. If you try that let me know what it's like, I'm curious.

I agree with Mrs. JP3 in that I would not add vitamins if a major part of his diet is pllets, since they are already vitamin fortified. Regarding Nutriberries - my parrotlet loves them! I offer as a treat, but some serve as the main meal. They are nutritionally balanced like pellets, just not ground up. Like pellets, NutriBerries contain seeds and grains. I have offered both the parakeet size and the cockatiel size. The cockatiel are a bit bigger. They also come in different flavors, but I have only used the Classic ones. For more detailed information see the following link => https://lafeber.com/product/parakeet-nutri-berries/
Thank you, can’t hurt to try so I will add some in. A better diet can’t ever hurt him and he’s a seed junkie so he would love one of those a day. I can even use them instead of my current seed for his enrichment, it would be healthier since it’s balanced seed. **Ideas developing**

I’m not going to bother w the extra vitamins for now then in that case.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:25 AM   #28
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Quote:
Thank you, canít hurt to try so I will add some in. A better diet canít ever hurt him and heís a seed junkie so he would love one of those a day. I can even use them instead of my current seed for his enrichment, it would be healthier since itís balanced seed. **Ideas developing**

Iím not going to bother w the extra vitamins for now then in that case.
Keep trying with the fresh foods even if he doesn't eat it.

Ok, so it's 1:30am here and I've got a 5lb baby kicking my insides but why are you awake? LOL

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #29
Brittydagal

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, can’t hurt to try so I will add some in. A better diet can’t ever hurt him and he’s a seed junkie so he would love one of those a day. I can even use them instead of my current seed for his enrichment, it would be healthier since it’s balanced seed. **Ideas developing**

I’m not going to bother w the extra vitamins for now then in that case.
Keep trying with the fresh foods even if he doesn't eat it.

Ok, so it's 1:30am here and I've got a 5lb baby kicking my insides but why are you awake? LOL
Lol no good reason- just woke up in the middle of the night and went on my phone bc I was having trouble sleeping (not that the phone helps that lol). Typical smartphone addiction &#x1f61b;
Old 02-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #30
Joeyd

Joeyd is on a distinguished road

I had barbering/plucking problems with Kai. I've tried so many things with no luck. I'll try to remember to message you since Kai has a new mom and they will be getting more tests done on him that I couldn't afford to do.

Plus he now has a new mate and maybe within a few months time if anything does help Kai I will let you know asap. Or if you see any of my threads on Kai just make sure you read them just in case I forget to contact you.