Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

I have a tough decision to make.

He needs a change of attitude.

This thread has 37 replies and has been viewed 1357 times.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:08 PM   #11
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateetchka View Post
What kind of things do you do to re-teach?
The thing about Melody with flight is she goes where she wants, when she wants. Period. And as your probably noticed that means flying off to attack someone or something else, escaping being put back in the cage, etc. What the clipping did was eliminated her ability to do whatever she wanted. Since she won't step up (notice I said won't, not can't) clipping forces her to understand if she wants to go somewhere she's going to have to get on my finger. It also allows me to tell her no, and set her down and walk away if she bites. When I do that and she's clipped it means nothing she just flys away. But clipped, she stands there and is like "hey I'm sorry ok?! Come get me!"

So basically I try to reteach depending on me for getting around and I offer rewards and practice step up step down. I also intentionally show her that biting means you get ignored and I'll come back in a few moments. I feel like if I could keep up with even just those most simple things she would get better but with husband I can't.

Try what Ozzie said too, definitely changing th cage set up is important.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2020, 10:15 PM   #12
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

One thought. When Jules was in her bite phase one of the things I figured out was that she did not like her tail feathers touched. When I did she got very indignant and spin in a circle upset. I started touching her tail feathers every time she bit me hard. She would bite me hard and I immediately tweaked her tail feathers so she would get upset and spin. Eventually she figured out biting me hard immediately caused something she did not like. Eventually her bites lessened to informational.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:37 AM   #13
Pateetchka

Parrotlets Owned: 4

Pateetchka is on a distinguished road

This is all really good advice guys!

So this is what I've done:

- I moved his cage to another location in the same room.
- I took away all items he seemed attached to like condiment bottles and colorful boxes.
- I shut the closet which I now realize had become a nest for him.
- I am enforcing bed time to the minute now instead of catering to whether he's in the mood for it or not. (He used to want bed time exactly on time but started to change.)
- I'm able to give him more attention now because he's not in that closet.

So far, he is immediately sweeter than before. Time will tell if this is going to be consistent.

Pateetchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2020, 10:26 PM   #14
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Stopping any nesting behavior is definitely a plus. A hormonal bird would have much of the behavior you are describing, especially in a male bird. Hopefully your changes will push his mind out of mate mode and back into flock mode.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #15
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Great moves!! I think you will see a difference.
Clipping was my last resort, and I do hate it do hopefully you don't get that desperate.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:54 PM   #16
Pateetchka

He has been much better! The other day he sat on my husband and preened for a good while with happy chirps and ran around exploring the house instead of roosting in the shadows of the pantry with tiny, protective growls all day. My husband also let him sit on him and would talk to him. He kept asking me, "Is this how he normally is?" And I'd say, "Yes when you're at work and he's not doing the weird closet thing."

Old 02-03-2020, 09:03 PM   #17
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Bryan will become famous soon enough

Sounds like what you are doing is working keep it up.

Last edited by Bryan; 02-04-2020 at 08:35 AM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #18
rizzie5022

Parrotlets Owned: 1

rizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the rough

Im glad things are working out for you now.

My Huey was never an expert flyer, I have come to think he does not see perfectly. His landings were so close but he rarely hit his mark.

We also had behavior issues with him. We clipped him a couple of years ago and never since. While he can fly he rarely does he is a hiker. He will flutter down to the floor walk across the room and climb up the couch over the cushions and when he gets to the top he does a little wing flip. He is so proud of him self.

One other thing I noticed, we moved him last year to the other side of the room in front of a window. He immediately got much nicer. At Christmas we moved him back by me so we could put up the tree and he was so loud and not as nice. I put him back by his window and he is back to being quieter and nicer again.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #19
Pateetchka

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzie5022 View Post

My Huey was never an expert flyer, I have come to think he does not see perfectly. His landings were so close but he rarely hit his mark.

We also had behavior issues with him. We clipped him a couple of years ago and never since. While he can fly he rarely does he is a hiker. He will flutter down to the floor walk across the room and climb up the couch over the cushions and when he gets to the top he does a little wing flip. He is so proud of him self.

One other thing I noticed, we moved him last year to the other side of the room in front of a window. He immediately got much nicer. At Christmas we moved him back by me so we could put up the tree and he was so loud and not as nice. I put him back by his window and he is back to being quieter and nicer again.
Yes! I had moved him because of the tree but moved him back to the window again. Hopefully some sunshine will make him happier. He took a bath for the first time in forever so I think it made him happy.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:09 PM   #20
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzie5022 View Post

What kind of light bulbs do you use in his area? I noticed Jules flying improved when we started using full daylight bulbs around the house. It seems that the standard yellowish color bulbs we were using are sort of dim to a parrotlet sight. Sort of the equivalent of a human living in a cave. Once we went to full spectrum daylight bulbs she could see better and flew with more confidence.