Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

I have a tough decision to make.

He needs a change of attitude.

This thread has 37 replies and has been viewed 1357 times.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:22 AM   #1
Pateetchka

Parrotlets Owned: 4
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Pateetchka is on a distinguished road

I have a tough decision to make.

It's been a long time since I've posted.. Joey has started doing this thing more often than he used to. He will land on someone random in the house and then start lunging as though he perceives danger near by. He will also do this if he hates something about what you are doing. It's inconsistent though! Sometimes when you're on your phone he lunges and eventually bites HARD on your neck or ear. Sometimes he's perfectly ok with it. Sometimes it's my braided hair he hates. Sometimes it's not. But one thing is for sure, he tried it with my husband tonight and I thought my husband was literally going to kill him. Joey's attitude has gotten so bad I'm debating on clipping his wings.

This will be for the first time since I've brought him home. He is very skilled at flying and it is highly convenient for me as I don't want to always bring him room to room with me. He will usually follow me. OR if he doesn't want to be in a room with me anymore and begins chirping incessantly about it, all I have to do is open the door and he leaves himself without me having to carry him back into whatever other place he is wanting to be.

But... he really does need an attitude change and I don't know any other way. Is there any advice besides clipping that anyone has? Biting is okay when it's communicative and clear but unpredictable, inconsistent biting is not okay and this is something he seems to go out of his way to do. Locate someone doing something he doesn't like and bite the shnitz out of them. Help!

Pateetchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Bryan will become famous soon enough

My Pp gets upset over the smallest things too mostly noise related with him though. He does not bite hard but will nip if he is on me or go over to his toy and bite it if he is not. I just watch him and try to figure out what it is that is bothering him and see if it is something that I can compromise with him on like turning down the volume on a video or any music I play. There are also certain songs he does not like at all so I just don't play them when he is out.

I guess you just have to play close attention and see if you can figure out what it is. With Pip it is almost always about noise. He hates the clicking of my center mouse wheel when scrolling but only in the mornings in the afternoon it's fine. They just have little quarks you have to learn then work on it.

I know it does not seem helpful but that is what I do with Pip. I try to figure out what is bothering him.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Welcome to my world of living with Melody.

I also clipped her a couple years back for an attitude adjustment. It was difficult because I hate having my birds clipped but it did help. The key is to then be very consistent with training methods to reteach. Unfortunately my husband is her favorite "person" and he will not commit to doing what needs to be done to correct her behavior so everything I do is undone. She is a little menace. But I think you will be successful.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
Pateetchka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
Welcome to my world of living with Melody.

I also clipped her a couple years back for an attitude adjustment. It was difficult because I hate having my birds clipped but it did help. The key is to then be very consistent with training methods to reteach. Unfortunately my husband is her favorite "person" and he will not commit to doing what needs to be done to correct her behavior so everything I do is undone. She is a little menace. But I think you will be successful.
What kind of things do you do to re-teach?

Old 01-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Clipping wings is a personal choice. That said, it does help adjust their attitude and is only temporary.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:02 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Hi....Glad you are back!
I have had Ricochet for a year and a half, almost. When Vicki and I brought him home, he was 10 weeks old. He was hand fed and human raised.
Ricochet was the most sweetest and lovable bird I have ever owned! He could be handled, turned upside down, we could pull his wings open and spread them to look at all the colors. He was perfect! Then, he went through puberty. He wasn't a bad bird, but he began to bite ans attack for no reason. He just didn't bite, he took chunks out of me!

He would be okay for a few days, then go into this bite/attack/lunge movements. I asked the forum what to do. I was desperate! I had 32 wounds on my arms at one time. 22 were covered with small Bandaids. Several wounds bled for a day or so!

I was going to do something to that bird that he did not like. I was going to clip his wings. I swore I would never do that to a bird because it does affect them in several ways that may not be good.

So, I managed to do something that has worked, but it took a few months. When Ricochet would all of a sudden bite for no reason, I quit reacting as if I was ticked off. Of course it hurt, because he took meat off of me. It was vicious. I have scars!

Here's what worked for me and Vicki. For some reason, he did not bite Vicki real hard, just me! Since I was the main target, I went into the opposite mode of discipline. When he would bite me, I said it was okay and to give me a kiss kiss, then offered my knuckle for a kiss( not my lips or face!). I acted pleasant towards him and kept talking to him in a sweet voice. I would say, " Be nice. Be nice. Give Daddy a kiss kiss! " This was right after he attacked me.

This is like gentle beak, but you have to react like it was an okay thing for him to do. I actually praised him for biting me.

I swear, this worked. For months, he bit the heck out of me and lunged at me for no reason, etc. I tried everything! Nothing worked. I was at the end of my ropes with him. So, I taught him that it was no big deal to bite. My actions took the need to bite from him. I didn't let it bother me.

I found out that he was looking for that' " OUCH!>>>Dang Bird!>>>That hurt!!!" reaction and he was getting worse and worse and worse about biting me! If you go back and read my threads and posts, you will see what I went through! It was bad!

Now, when I get bit by Ricochet, it is not bad at all. It is a warning bite to me to get my fingers or arms away from him.

If I surprise him, he may get a bite. He loves us, but he sure got mean for a while. He was like a different bird! Now, he is back to being a good natured bird.

I suggest that you do not clip his wings. What if you were being bad and were blindfolded for a few weeks? I do not believe clipping changes hormones in a bird or teaches a bird a lesson! He will behave because he needs you. He is handicapped. Like Bogie's and Ricochet's vet told me, " Birds do not reason like us. If they act bad, they will eventually go back to being good."

Ricochet did just that. I let him kiss me on the lips today. 6 weeks ago...NO WAY!

Dave

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:20 AM   #7
Pateetchka

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Hi....Glad you are back!
I have had Ricochet for a year and a half, almost. When Vicki and I brought him home, he was 10 weeks old. He was hand fed and human raised.
Ricochet was the most sweetest and lovable bird I have ever owned! He could be handled, turned upside down, we could pull his wings open and spread them to look at all the colors. He was perfect! Then, he went through puberty. He wasn't a bad bird, but he began to bite ans attack for no reason. He just didn't bite, he took chunks out of me!

He would be okay for a few days, then go into this bite/attack/lunge movements. I asked the forum what to do. I was desperate! I had 32 wounds on my arms at one time. 22 were covered with small Bandaids. Several wounds bled for a day or so!

I was going to do something to that bird that he did not like. I was going to clip his wings. I swore I would never do that to a bird because it does affect them in several ways that may not be good.

So, I managed to do something that has worked, but it took a few months. When Ricochet would all of a sudden bite for no reason, I quit reacting as if I was ticked off. Of course it hurt, because he took meat off of me. It was vicious. I have scars!

Here's what worked for me and Vicki. For some reason, he did not bite Vicki real hard, just me! Since I was the main target, I went into the opposite mode of discipline. When he would bite me, I said it was okay and to give me a kiss kiss, then offered my knuckle for a kiss( not my lips or face!). I acted pleasant towards him and kept talking to him in a sweet voice. I would say, " Be nice. Be nice. Give Daddy a kiss kiss! " This was right after he attacked me.

This is like gentle beak, but you have to react like it was an okay thing for him to do. I actually praised him for biting me.

I swear, this worked. For months, he bit the heck out of me and lunged at me for no reason, etc. I tried everything! Nothing worked. I was at the end of my ropes with him. So, I taught him that it was no big deal to bite. My actions took the need to bite from him. I didn't let it bother me.

I found out that he was looking for that' " OUCH!>>>Dang Bird!>>>That hurt!!!" reaction and he was getting worse and worse and worse about biting me! If you go back and read my threads and posts, you will see what I went through! It was bad!

Now, when I get bit by Ricochet, it is not bad at all. It is a warning bite to me to get my fingers or arms away from him.

If I surprise him, he may get a bite. He loves us, but he sure got mean for a while. He was like a different bird! Now, he is back to being a good natured bird.

I suggest that you do not clip his wings. What if you were being bad and were blindfolded for a few weeks? I do not believe clipping changes hormones in a bird or teaches a bird a lesson! He will behave because he needs you. He is handicapped. Like Bogie's and Ricochet's vet told me, " Birds do not reason like us. If they act bad, they will eventually go back to being good."

Ricochet did just that. I let him kiss me on the lips today. 6 weeks ago...NO WAY!

Dave

Wow Dave! This is good advice to think about. I'm not sure I could get my husband to comply with this one though. He is convinced that Joey is evil at his core. I mean, he does have what we call "Dinosaur Mode." But he's not 100% evil. He's got "Cute Mode" too lol. So I guess it looks like "A soft answer turneth away wrath." Works on birds too!

Old 01-31-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
tijya

tijya will become famous soon enough

We will have to clip our conure's wings for similar behaviour. Though her issue is specific to attacking me if my husband is home, so we can avoid it most of the time.

We've been working on it since September and I was close to saying we won't need to. And then she attacked me again. She flies at my head and bites. I almost needed stitches on my ear.

It's not something I really want to do, but I also want to be able to feel safe in my own home. She doesn't have an appointment yet but I will be getting it done sometime in February.

Maybe Joey can be worked with without a clip, and if so, yay! But if not, the clip is temporary and if it helps, it's worth it. And if it doesn't help, it's temporary and you'll know for next time.
tijya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:47 PM   #9
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Have you tried stuff like changing the cage around or cage location yet? Sometimes all you need to do is change the environment up a bit to shake their view of the world.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:27 PM   #10
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

There are definitely reasons to clip a bird, especially in cases for safety. There is no one right answer and when done, it is temporary. There is no physical pain when clipping a bird. You cannot compare wing clipping to being blindfolded for weeks, there is no correlation. That's like comparing having surgery to have a massage.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote