Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

heart disease stroke and paralysis

This thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 342 times.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #1
letsgetelectric

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

letsgetelectric is on a distinguished road

Hello! I made a prior post about our 7 year old p'let being diagnosed with heart disease a few months back. Since being on medication he has had no more bouts of lethargy or strange behavior but today when I woke him up I noticed he was only using one foot. The toes on his right foot are curled under slightly and all of them point forwards (kind of like a claw). On a small enough perch he is still able to slightly grip but its hard for him to climb upwards or downwards and he pulls the entire foot up and in and hops on one leg when on a flat surface. Every so often he's pulling and picking at his foot like he's trying to figure out what is going on. He does not seem to be in any pain and is flying, eating, pooping, and being his general angry feisty self otherwise. We suspect he may have had a stroke last night because of his heart condition and has either temporary or more likely permanent paralysis on the right side. He is obviously due for a vet visit but we are trying to wait a bit because the last time we took him in it was extremely stressful for his little heart and he almost shut down and died because of it. It literally took everything out of him to recover and he slept for almost 2+ days afterwards so I am worried about taking him back in again. In the meantime we are thinking we should rearrange his entire cage and make everything on a single level. Any advice or other steps we should take to make his cage more single-leg friendly would be helpful! Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2956.jpg (92.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by letsgetelectric; 02-10-2020 at 03:43 PM..
letsgetelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #2
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

I am very sorry to hear about your parrotlet's medical issues. I suspect you are right that he may have had a stroke, but hopefully when you meet with the avian vet they can confirm that. You may want to consider platform perches (which are flat) or even placing a towel on the bottom of the cage if needed.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:01 PM   #3
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Unhappy

I am so sorry that this is going on. Just a month or so ago, Ricochet started to pull up his left foot and curl it. All toes curled except for the longest toe. We took him to the vet right way and found out that he fractured the big toe up near his " ankle ". It was getting to where he couldn't grasp a perch and he started to sit on the left side of his lower chest. He curled the whole foot until it started to swell and the swelling caused the big toe straightened out, but the other toes stayed curled up.

At first, I had thought he had a stroke, because I have had several budgies in the past who had slight strokes and they curled their toes like your little guy . We took them to the vet and the vet gave them meds that helped them uncurl their toes. This was many years ago and I do not know the name of the medication, but it did work for them. I have hope that you can help him, but you said the trip may do him in.

I used flannel covered platforms for the budgies at the lower levels of the cage ( 2 inches off the bottom of the cage). They were strips of balsa wood that I cut and glued in layers to make the platform until they got better.

I couldn't tell, but does you birdie have a band on the leg that has the curled foot? If you do, get it cut off in case of swelling.

Keep him calm and warm! Keep in touch.

Vicki, David and Ricochet

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 10:47 PM   #4
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

I am so sorry, I just absolutely love Gonzo. It's his name I think because Gonzo was always one of my favorite Muppet. I recognize his every time you post.
I just went through something similar with Tobie, but his turn was very sudden I'm not sure what happened but maybe a stroke like you mentioned because he just started shaking and deteriorating and couldn't balance, had a hard time with his feet like you described sometimes. It's so heartbreaking.
I moved stuff close to the bottom for him, I put soft things on the bottom of the cage and for Tobie he seemed to perch best in rope perches, flat surface were really hard for him. I also switched his water to a very shallow dish so in case he stumbled he wouldn't get all wet or fall face first and drown or something. I had to keep an eye on his food to to make sure it was accessable because he couldn't perch well on the bowl. He would hang on the bars down into the bowl, and towards the end I had to hold him next to his food.

I'm so so sorry. Truly I am. Kisses for Gonzo.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:14 PM   #5
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Perches near the ground are helpful. Also as much millet as he wants. It is like chicken soup for the soul for a stressed parrotlet. Hard boil egg with shell help with ours when similar stuff happened.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:59 AM   #6
letsgetelectric

Oh man he is being awfully frustrating right now! We moved everything lower so his perches were all at the same level close to the bottom and guess what he does? Scales the sides of his cage with one foot and his beak and is just hanging upside down. He won’t go to sleep near the bottom (he usually sleeps up high in the corner) and every time I try to cover him to go to bed he climbs up the side of his cage to the top in the dark and then flys off and flaps his wings and crashes to the bottom.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:48 AM   #7
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetelectric View Post
Oh man he is being awfully frustrating right now! We moved everything lower so his perches were all at the same level close to the bottom and guess what he does? Scales the sides of his cage with one foot and his beak and is just hanging upside down. He wonít go to sleep near the bottom (he usually sleeps up high in the corner) and every time I try to cover him to go to bed he climbs up the side of his cage to the top in the dark and then flys off and flaps his wings and crashes to the bottom.
Tobie spent a lot of time hanging on the bars. It's really painful because you just want to feel like they are comfortable and sometimes I just felt like I didn't know how to help him. It might be easier for him to hang on to the cage than a perch.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Old 02-11-2020, 02:55 AM   #8
letsgetelectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
Quote:
Oh man he is being awfully frustrating right now! We moved everything lower so his perches were all at the same level close to the bottom and guess what he does? Scales the sides of his cage with one foot and his beak and is just hanging upside down. He won’t go to sleep near the bottom (he usually sleeps up high in the corner) and every time I try to cover him to go to bed he climbs up the side of his cage to the top in the dark and then flys off and flaps his wings and crashes to the bottom.
Tobie spent a lot of time hanging on the bars. It's really painful because you just want to feel like they are comfortable and sometimes I just felt like I didn't know how to help him. It might be easier for him to hang on to the cage than a perch.
That’s how we are feeling right now. It’s breaking my heart. We set him up all rope perches and we kept his favorite toys in his cage but I can tell he’s bothered his setup is so different so he’s not really playing with anything. I’m mostly nervous he’s going to fall at night when we’re in the bedroom sleeping and we won’t be around to help him. I just hope he is comfortable.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:38 AM   #9
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thatís how we are feeling right now. Itís breaking my heart. We set him up all rope perches and we kept his favorite toys in his cage but I can tell heís bothered his setup is so different so heís not really playing with anything. Iím mostly nervous heís going to fall at night when weíre in the bedroom sleeping and we wonít be around to help him. I just hope he is comfortable.
I know exactly how you feel. It's the worst. Hang in there, your doing everything you can.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 PM   #10
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

How is our little Gonzo doing? I hope things aren't to difficult over there. Thinking of you all.