Bird SO fixated with Barbering That I Can't Get His Attention- I feel so depressed - Page 5 - Talk Parrotlets Forums

User Menu
Forum Home
Parrotlet Gallery
Today's Posts
Register now!
Search

Advanced Search
Forums
Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Housing

Do It Yourself

Parrotlet Pictures

Your Parrotlet's Health

Parrotlet Diet

Training and Bonding

Parrotlet Breeding

Parrotlet Articles

Parrotlet Rainbow Bridge

Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

Bird SO fixated with Barbering That I Can't Get His Attention- I feel so depressed

This thread has 50 replies and has been viewed 1008 times.

Old 02-13-2020, 01:23 AM   #41
littlehuck

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

littlehuck will become famous soon enough

Parrotlets are prone to plucking in captivity ..maybe he is more obsessed because your behavior gets intense when he is doing it. Please take the collar off and never put it on him again; give him some Nekton-S vitamins every morning, give him more sweet potatoes mashed with cooked quinoa, green beans, corn and thick coconut milk and lots of fresh berries, figs, apples and take him in the sunshine for at least an hour when you can and just love him as he is. My best friend Huckleberry plucked his tummy for 11 of his 12 years and I just loved him so much because, to me he was perfect. Please let him be free from the bondage and restraint of the collar. I could not wear one for a minute. Please find a place that you can accept him and forget about his feathers ..and he really will come back ..if you are happy with him he will respond. It is bad enough that we cage our angels on loan but to chain him in a collar is making him depressed and unhappy ..Let him be a naked tummy boy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mtd...index=19&t=53s
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 01:50 AM   #42
littlehuck

littlehuck will become famous soon enough

Please do not give your parrotlet Lupron or any hormone injections ..they can kill a parrotlet but plucking doesn't. Nekton-S is a very good vitamin for parrots that you can get on Amazon. Start with the 2.65 ounce bottle. Discard all collars and do a dance with your baby. Take him out in the healthy sunshine and give him fresh fruits and veggies. Be at peace and accept his plucking. Birds are instinctive and he may be processing your behavior as rejection. Try your best to love and accept him and you will both be much more content. I can actually promise you that!

Last edited by littlehuck; 02-13-2020 at 02:14 AM..
littlehuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:51 AM   #43
rizzie5022

Parrotlets Owned: 1

rizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=littlehuck;1031929. Be at peace and accept his plucking. Birds are instinctive and he may be processing your behavior as rejection. Try your best to love and accept him and you will both be much more content. I can actually promise you that![/QUOTE]

I always say we do not know what a bird is thinking and why a bird does certain things, we are not birds. We can not always fix everything.

I agree as humans we overthink. As long as a vet check is good and a healthy diet, just let them be.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #44
greenfeather

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

greenfeather is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain! I have tried all ideas, but to no avail. Buzz has been barbering for 5 years. It seems this is a very common problem with parrotlets. So we just love them anyway and remember the good old fully-feathered days!
greenfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:16 PM   #45
aeriadne

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

aeriadne will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehuck View Post
Please do not give your parrotlet Lupron or any hormone injections ..they can kill a parrotlet but plucking doesn't. Nekton-S is a very good vitamin for parrots that you can get on Amazon. Start with the 2.65 ounce bottle. Discard all collars and do a dance with your baby. Take him out in the healthy sunshine and give him fresh fruits and veggies. Be at peace and accept his plucking. Birds are instinctive and he may be processing your behavior as rejection. Try your best to love and accept him and you will both be much more content. I can actually promise you that!
Lupron doesn't necessarily kill plets. At my avian vet, we regularly give Lupron injections to parrotlets and small birds like budgies. It is important, however, to have an avian vet do a thorough check and make sure that there aren't any underlying issues that Lupron might complicate or worsen. But I do agree some birds just pluck and the best thing we can do is accept them for who they are!
aeriadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:28 PM   #46
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that plucking in general is still somewhat of a mystery in all bird species.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #47
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

I agree that Lupron does not typically kill a bird without diagnosed medical issues. It is a commonly used injection for hormonal female birds.

Last edited by JackieRTP; 02-14-2020 at 04:56 PM..
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #48
Brittydagal

Brittydagal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriadne View Post
One test you might want to try is Bornavirus and specifically AGA (anti-ganglioside antibodies) testing with Borna. Go to a good avian vet that can perform the blood test and send it out (there's only one facility in the US, located in Ohio, that does it. It's affiliated with Lafeber.). It's not a well-understood disease because it's only been known for about 10-15 years.

This primer is a good place to start: https://lafeber.com/vet/avian-bornavirus-primer/

Note this part: "Feather destructive behavior is sometimes seen in birds with ABV infection (Horie 2012). Feather picking and self-mutilation can be observed with any bird with systemic illness, however this feather damaging behavior has also been theorized to occur secondary to peripheral neuropathy."

When a bird tests AGA positive, it means that the virus is affecting the neurological system and this is why it's theorized that some AGA birds might pluck.

All my girls are Borna positive, including my newest who also tested AGA positive. She was a plucker but seems to have stopped (she was also surrendered by her previous person, who clipped her wings and said she was having repro issues so there was a lot else going on that may have contributed to the plucking). I work for an avian vet and some of the techs/vets think that AGA can come and go, kind of like herpes. Who knows for sure like I said, there is so little known about this disease. But getting Borna and AGA testing done might help rule some things in or out. And if your little one is positive, don't freak out. 1 in every 3 or 4 of parrots both in the wild and in captivity test positive for Borna, so it's very widespread.

Also go to a good avian vet who can go over avian nutrition with you. Sometimes, as someone else suggested, there can be food allergies at play. One client at my vet was able to do an elimination diet with her African Grey and determined that he was allergic to bananas. He hasn't plucked since. Or it may be that there might be some nutritional deficiencies afoot - do you feed pellets?
He eats the fruit zupreem pellets. I will eventually try switching him to a more natural brand to see if it changes or helps but right now I have too many changes going on currently to add more. So that's on the to-do list.

He has been tested for Borna and was negative for that. He was also tested for Psitt, Poly, and PBFD at that same time. It didn't test for AGA, I didn't know about that so that is interesting. I will try to ask my vet about it. Can you test for AGA by itself (there's no reason for us to do another Borna test).
Brittydagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #49
Brittydagal

Brittydagal is on a distinguished road

I think I've basically decided that I'm not interested in giving him any life-long meds or shots of that sort. It probably wouldn't make a difference and I can't know how that would affect his little body. At least testing doesn't hurt him. I don't want to be giving him unnatural substances frequently, he is only 5 and I'd be gambling with his health. If he was to start picking himself to bleeding I may change my mind because that's a health emergency I feel.

Thank you all for all the responses- I am expecting to get him a few more tests next Thursday hopefully and I will let you know what happens with them and if we learn anything more.

I got him an AvianSun lamp maybe 5 days ago to combat cold and dark Chicago and he is loving it, it is so cute! I swear he gets hyper off it- He starts talking to himself again and seems perkier when it's on. Having found something that makes him even a bit happier makes my soul smile. I found that bulb recommended on this site so I have you guys to thank for that!

Last edited by Brittydagal; 02-14-2020 at 06:01 PM..
Brittydagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:05 PM   #50
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

You a good bird mom. Don't be too hard on yourself okay?! It's not your fault, remember that.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote