Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

July Surprise!

This thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 1214 times.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #21
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
Uh oh!
In addition to the other wonderful advice you have I will add that if she's totally ignoring the egg after a day or so you can remove it. I had this happen with Rosey, my Bourke. She laid an egg but totally ignored it. I took it away and she laid 2 more and then it's never happened again. She ignored them all each time. I mean if they ignore them I guess it doesn't hurt either way but I just took them out when I saw she was totally ignoring it.
My vet said to do the same thing . If the hen does not sit on the egg and ignores it, take it out. He said it may or may not stop the cycle, and that the hen may need a shot or two to help stop raging hormones.
I guess it's hard to change nature.

Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2020, 10:32 PM   #22
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enough

Really? After one day, get rid of the egg? That's going to stop egg-laying? Good luck with that.
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:11 PM   #23
David Miller

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya View Post
Really? After one day, get rid of the egg? That's going to stop egg-laying? Good luck with that.
Hi...
He said it may work or may not. I also read intensively on this matter for years because it comes up a lot in this forum. The sticky's you and Jackie did were great. But it all comes down to the individual bird and many reasons why that particular hen will or will not lay an egg. People would be wise to read the sticky's and try all kinds of things suggested to stop the bird from laying. It's all hoo'mans can do to try and change nature.

What Violet did worked for her and her bird. She removed the ignored egg and after 2 more were laid and removed, the bird did not lay another. She was lucky. It may not have worked. Really, she had good luck with that.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #24
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Many vets give advice that is not correct, as in the case of the removing an egg after it is laid by a female. Other example of poor advice given by vets include giving apple cider vinegar daily, providing no vegetables, and so on.

It is NEVER a good idea to remove an egg after it has been laid as it causes them to lay more to replace the lost egg leading to additional stress on their body and unnecessary calcium loss.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:56 PM   #25
Wheezy

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Wheezy is on a distinguished road

So, 2 eggs, that is all. She hasn't acted like they are even there. I haven't taken them out yet to be sure. Still moving her to a more quiet area to sleep. She's acting like her old self again! Thanks for the advice all!
Wheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:01 PM   #26
David Miller

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezy View Post
So, 2 eggs, that is all. She hasn't acted like they are even there. I haven't taken them out yet to be sure. Still moving her to a more quiet area to sleep. She's acting like her old self again! Thanks for the advice all!

This is wonderful! Keep an eye out on her. She may lay again and there is always a chance that she could become egg-bound. She may not, but you do need to take her for her annual check-up. It is the wisest thing you could do for good, professional advice. Give her a kiss kiss for Vicki and me!
Old 08-10-2020, 08:34 AM   #27
SpicyUterus

SpicyUterus is on a distinguished road

One thing that really helped my hormonal lovebird was getting his lights on a timer. When they’re on a timer, the daylight hours are much more consistent and easy to control, and I noticed a huge difference in his regurgitation and other hormonal behaviours. If you’re interested, HARI the Hagen company that makes tropican and vision cages, just did a zoom seminar all about the studies on hormones they’ve done at their own facility and what works for them. It was some really interesting stuff, much of which I hadn’t come across when doing my own reading into hormones. I don’t know if the zoom was recorded, but they did mention several times a recorded version of the same talk will be made available on their HARI TV page. Definitely worth checking out if you can!
SpicyUterus is online now   Reply With Quote