Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Trying new things!

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 145 times.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:23 AM   #1
Uneasesquid9

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Uneasesquid9 is on a distinguished road

Trying new things!

Hey! Does anyone else find that their parrotlet are very conservative when it comes to trying new things? Chocobo clearly takes a long time to get used to new stuff, be it foods, toys, or people! But then once she is used to it, she knows what she likes!

I got her a new carry case the other day. Up to now I've just been moving her cage around if I need to take her anywhere, which is far from ideal and I'm always a bit paranoid the bottom will fall out. Obviously, she hates it. I've been leaving it open beside the cage with a seed bowl in there so she can get used to it, and getting her to step up and sit on top of it while feeding her treats, which she still isn't mad keen on. But if I try to put her on the perch inside, she'll just edge away up my arm and then fly off. I'm probably moving house next month, so it would be really nice to be able to use the case by then. Any tips? With her playgym it took months for her to accept it as a nice place to be, even though I covered it in millet!
Uneasesquid9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
Anya

Anya is on a distinguished road

If the carry case is big enough, you might try putting one or two of Chocobo’s toys inside, so it will appear less scary for her. You’ve made some progress if she is sitting on top of it. That's good! Just be sure to keep on reinforcing her good behavior with some of her favorite treats and lots of praise!

Every time she is near it, try making it as positive an experience as possible. Watch her comfort level; try not forcing her - it needs to be on her own time. Everything is on their time, not ours! From what you told us about Chocobo, this will probably require a lot of baby steps before she is finally comfortable with it. I’ve had an avian lamp for three weeks and Cleopatra still doesn’t want it near her. Yesterday, I was finally able to move it to the other side of the room where her cage is, but it is still over 7 feet away! If it’s one thing these birds teach us, its patience!
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

For birds that are reluctant or scared of new items, putting it within viewing distance of their cage is a good way to acclimate them to the new item. Since you only got the new carry case the other day, she will probably need a bit more time to enter it. I would suggest to continue to work with her and reward her as you have been doing.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2020, 07:33 PM   #4
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

I would place her treats just inside the entrance and not give her treats for a bit. If she goes then next day put them a little further in the cage and so on until she is used to it.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote