Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Help, please! Do you know this type of wood/roots..?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  CWNANNWN 
#1 ·
Dearest parronts!

I hope you guys can help me out! ☺

I’ve been looking at some beautiful and very cool roots I found on the internet, when I searched for ideas of how to make bird trees.
The name of the roots is:
- “Red moor root”

Heres a few links:
http://www.aquadesigncenter.com/en/red-moor-wood/

https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/redmoor-c-545_11_238_320.html

I ve been writing to at least 15 stores that sell Red moor wood, - but up until now, nobody can answer me to, which kind of tree, Red moor roots come from..?

But every store do assure me that it isn’t a Bogwood, or a driftwood (!)
(Even though some sites write it is.)
Some say its the same as the wood called “Spiderwood” and “Finger roots”, but I’m not sure.

I always want to be completely sure, before I offer my parrotlet anything new, - wheather its a new toy, food, or of course plants and wood.
So I still have a hard time being completly sure about, if I can safely use Red moor roots for my parrot.

- Do you guys know, if Red moor wood/roots is safe for parrots..?

It’s normally used in aquariums, and terrariums, and I know that fish is very sensitive to wood with any kind of toxins in it, that can leach into the water, so I’m thinking that maybe anything you can use in a fish tank, is going to be ok for parrots too..?

Thank you SO much for all your help!* - and for letting me borrow some of your time! ☺

Have a wonderful day!

Kindest regards,
Christine

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi!

As you know, the Redmoor roots are used for aquariums. They soak the roots in water for 2 weeks so it will become waterlogged and to get rid of tannins. It is safe for fish to be around and nibble on without being poisoned. It might be okay around birds. I couldn't find out the name of the tree that has redmoor wood. Try getting hold of the Arbor Day Foundation.com.

Maybe you can look into the Mango Tree roots system. They are invasive roots when alive, but make great roots for gardens when dead and dried out.

Dave

#5 ·
I could not find this wood listed on any of the lists that mention safe woods for birds. For this reason, I would not recommend it. Plus, I read this wood tends to be slippery which might not make it the best choice for your bird, anyway.

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
Just to be clear here. None azalea rhododendrons should never be used in aquariums.

Spider wood is an azalea and I suspect red mor wood to be an azalea too.

Remember all azaleas are Rhododendrons, but not all rhododendrons are azaleas.

Most wood you will find is listed as spiderwood or as the similar appearance, is probably R. mollie. Or Chinese water azalea.

It toxic on its flowers. But is safe for aquarium use after proper culturing.

But given everything above, I would say not to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.