Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

DIY Cleaning Wipes

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Gribouille 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I found this wonderfully easy tutorial for making your own cleaning wipes. Best part is that all the ingredients are bird-friendly* and you probably already have most if not all of these in your home!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup rubbing alcohol**
1 teaspoon liquid dish soap

Directions: You basically mix all the wet ingredients, cut a roll of paper towel in half, then pour the mixture over one half of the roll, remove the cardboard "core," & place in a container. See link for more details and step-by-step pictures.

Source:
http://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/How-Make-Cleaning-Wipes-29438958

I did some research but PLEASE correct me if any of these ingredients are not safe to use around birds or on bird products.

*The tutorial says you can add essential oils if you wish. I know there's a lot of debate around this but I personally choose not to use them on any bird products or while my bird is in the same room.

**Update after using: The rubbing alcohol smells a bit strong and the one I used was only 50%. It isn't terribly strong but I'd prefer to keep my birds 10 feet away or so. Please note that I have not found any solid evidence about the safety of using rubbing alcohol around birds, but I do believe it is completely safe after drying. Some alternatives: (a) use less of the alcohol, (b) replace the alcohol with more water and vinegar, or (c) keep the birdies at a distance while cleaning.

See less See more
#5 ·
I love this idea. I spent some time trying to find out if rubbing alcohol is safe, it is quite fumy, (is that a word?) from what i gathered the fumes can be dangerous but once it evaporates its fine. I think the essential oil in a very small amount would be fine, I just wouldn't use it ON the cage.
Anyone else know about the rubbing alcohol?

(There is a bourke on my head....)

#6 · (Edited)
Hi, bourke! :D

I actually noticed this while cleaning tonight. The rubbing alcohol I used was only 50% but I can definitely smell it when using the wipes. I don't think the birds should be too close to those fumes (I think 10 feet away with these wipes should be fine, it isn't all that strong).

I found this information on Nature's Miracle Cage Cleaner. The ingredients say it contains rubbing alcohol. The directions just say to take the bird and feeding items out of cage before cleaning but they also say it's safe to use around pets. Since this is a reputable brand, I'm sure they did their research. Besides, if something went wrong, they're popular enough that we would have known by now if this was a bad product.

"Nature's Miracle Cage Cleaner
Gentle Cleaning Formula

Directions:
Before using, remove pet, food, drinking water and chewable toys from cage.
Once Removed:
Remove litter, bedding or any other material used to line cage.
Thoroughly spray Nature's Miracle Bird Cage Cleaner on cage bottom and sidewalls.
Wait three to five minutes.
Use moistened, rough cloth, paper towel or brush to remove excess debris.
Return pet to cage only after cage has thoroughly dried.
Do Not Apply Directly on Pet.

Ingredients: Water, Nature's Bio-Enzymatic Blend, Oxygen Boosters, Isopropyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone.

General information
Nature's Miracle Bird Cage Cleaner is designed to naturally clean bird cages. Bio-Enzymatic Odor Locking technology effectively removes tough, caked-on debris and strong, embedded cage odors. Will not leave behind strong scents that can irritate birds. Safe for use around pets and home, when used as directed."​

AviClean & Poop-Off do not seem to use rubbing alcohol. All three of these brands do add fragrance

A few alternate options for the DIY wipes: (a) use less of the alcohol, (b) replace the alcohol altogether, or (c) keep the birdies at a distance while cleaning.

#7 ·
I really like this idea. I think a tiny bit of the alcohol would be OK with me, and of course keep the birds away. I might try it. Maybe with a half roll of towles first.....I do have spray bottles of vinegar/water I use around the house also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.