Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

It's Carnival Time!

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 276 times.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
ElizabethR

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

ElizabethR is on a distinguished road

It's Carnival Time!

I'm wondering what the best plan will be for Perry during Mardi Gras. Parades start on 2/14, and MG day is 2/25. I live on the parade route.
So during that time, most weeknights and all day and night on weekends will be filled with marching bands, unreasonably loud music blaring from huge speakers, and drunk people being obnoxious in the streets, yelling, blowing horns, whistles, etc.
I don't know how Perry will react, but I can't imagine it will be good.
Also, my parents live on another part of the route, and essentially have an open house (to friends & family only, not literally open). But they count on me to help out with various things, and my niece and nephew count on me to be there, and friends of mine stop by looking for me as well. So for all but 5 days, I'm there, meaning most parade days Perry will be alone with the noise if I keep her at my place.
In the past, I've moved into my parents' house for the last weekend, starting on the Thursday before MG day. I've been going back and forth on whether that could work if I brought Perry with me. On one hand, I could check in on her periodically during parades and do my best to keep her calm. On the other, she'd be in a new place, not her normal cage (I have a good-sized, but still smaller cage than her usual one that I got for a weekend trip to Mississippi; she seemed pretty happy with it for the 2 and a half days she lived in it). And at my parents' house, it would be much more constant noise and disturbance, not to mention I can't think of a good room to keep her in.
So is it better to keep her at home, in familiar territory, if she's alone listening to the craziness outside until I get home every night? Or better if she's in an unfamiliar, possibly noisier place where she could see me more often?
The final option is boarding her at the one avian vet here, but it's about a half hour away, and this city is impossible to get around during Mardi Gras time - I honestly can't imagine logistically how or when I could even get her out there. And I'm afraid to even call to ask how much it would cost. Of course, that would also mean I couldn't see her at all until Ash Wednesday, which would make me nervous, and probably freak her out even more.
I realize parrotlets and Mardi Gras is a situation few have had to consider, but any insight or suggestions would be appreciated. I only have a month now to figure out a plan, and I'm hoping someone has somewhat comparable experience that might help my decision.
ElizabethR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 10:55 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Dear E,

I do have kind of an idea that might help you out......Has Perry been exposed to your TV or stereo/radio? If he has, it might help you to turn up the TV/radio starting today, when you go to work. Perry will get used to the loud TV/radio and this might help soften the sound a bit.

I have a fireworks problem where I live. On the 4th of July and New Years Eve, it gets pretty loud in my home. I turn the TV/surround sound system up for a couple of days prior to the festivities. This helps Ricochet and (Bogie) .

If you can acclimate your home a little bit, then Perry may get used to it.

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #3
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

That is quite a dilemma. Luckily it is a short-term thing at 11 days. I think that either keeping her at home or taking her to your parents could work. I cannot even imagine trying to get around New Orleans during Mardi Gras time, making the choice to board her at the avian vet not as attractive. Let us know what you choose to do and how it works out...
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 05:19 AM   #4
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

I'd leave her where she is----she is familiar and comfortable there. She should be ok, despite the noise.
Good suggestions from forum members-----but I wouldn't move her in my humble opinion.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #5
ElizabethR

Thanks, everyone! I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep her at home, and try to leave work early enough to stop at home before going to my parents' house during the week. She is used to the tv being on, but only when I'm home. I'll definitely give your idea a try, David.
Also, I'll be at my house for the first parades the night of the 14th, so I'll use that to help gauge her response/freak-out level, and adjust from there.
Thanks again, and I'll update in a few weeks once parades have started rolling!

Last edited by ElizabethR; 01-23-2020 at 11:54 AM..
Old 02-15-2020, 10:23 PM   #6
ElizabethR

So far, so good. I checked in on her several times last night. She didn't love the bands and loud speakers, but she didn't totally freak out. The only thing she completely lost her s*** about was anything blinky. I forgot I was wearing a blinky headband I'd caught, and when I opened her cage to let her out, she shot back to the farthest spot from me. But, there's a silver lining to that, too, as I've already used some blinkies to keep her from things I want her to avoid, e.g., my aloe plant and my phone charger cord.
And tonight when I was at my parents' I checked on her with my security camera, and she seemed ok. Very happy when I got home, but generally untraumatized.
I think my little Perry may be tougher than I gave her credit for.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:47 PM   #7
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Exclamation

Yes! They will surprise you! Bang bangs do not seem to bother Ricochet. I had him on my shoulder and turned on my flashlight and shined it on the ceiling. Ricochet just looked up at it and did nothing. I made the beam go to the wall and down to the floor. He just followed the beam. I made the beam go up my leg towards Ricochet and he didn't flinch at all. Just looked at it.

I am so glad!

Way to go, Perry!

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote