Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

A pandemic egg!

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 124 times.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:40 PM   #1
TheBeans

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

TheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura about

A pandemic egg!

What-the-what?!! Over the past few days I noticed that Daisy's poo-doos were very loose and watery and that when she sat on her perch she was all puffed up. When I'd go to uncover her in the morning she was on the floor of her cage, in the corner, alert and not puffed up.

So, this afternoon I went to check on her and see another ginormous loose poop on the floor and I gathered up some paper towels to clean/change her cage floor and that's when I saw it. An egg! One egg...with a slight crack on it, in the corner where she's been sitting in the morning!

I thought that if she had enough calcium and got at least 12 hours of solid darkness then I could pretty much rule out her ever getting broody and laying an egg. Apparently I'm wrong!

What do I do now? I seem to recall that I should leave any eggs she lays alone so that she quits laying them...is that right? Good grief...it's more than enough drama that we're all on lockdown and we're all washing and sanitizing hands like crazy, but now my bird lays a pandemic egg! Help!!

Daisy's hatch-day: 12/10/2014
TheBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 11:25 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

My My My! Daisy made a pandemic poo do!
I just don't know...What am I to Do?

Yes, it can be a problem! If Ricochet laid an egg, I'd change his name to Ricolett and I would ask this forum for some help.
One thing to doo would be to put one or two fake eggs in the corner of the cage and remove any pandemic eggs.
The next thing I would do is to make sure Daisy is not egg bound.

The next thing I would doo is not touch Daisy for a while in a way she may construe this as a way to put her hormones in action.

If all this fails, bump up her calcium so to keep her healthier in the weeks to come. Proteins are important, too!

As with budgies that I have had in the past, I had some egg layers
and I tried everything in the book to stop them and after all I did, I had to let nature take its course. Every one I had who did this, it was only for one season and they would quit.

Try fake eggs if you can get out to get some.

Keep us posted.

Dave

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Yes, do not remove the egg as it will promote her to lay more to replace it. She may potentially lay more eggs. Typically they lay around 4 to 5, but some may lay as few as 1 and I have even heard of a few cases of 7-9. Most parrotlets will wait to incubate until the second or third egg is laid. As David mentioned, definitely ensure that she has enough calcium with a cuttlebone, liquid calcium, or other source. This page contains some tips for discouraging egg laying at http://www.mickaboo.org/resources/di...ing-egg-laying. As it mentions, you may actually want to increase her sleep period to 13 hours to see if that helps in the future. One site that has dummy eggs (if you decide to go that route) is http://www.dummyeggs.com/.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
TheBeans

TheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura about

This morning I found she had pecked a hole in the egg and had a dining experience. Keeping an eye on her to see if more eggs are in her future.

Daisy's hatch-day: 12/10/2014
TheBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Once they start having eggs they are usually every other day for a bit. I recommend dummy eggs also. I have a few for Jules but we have not needed them yet.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is online now   Reply With Quote