Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

Crazy Monster Bird Since Spring!

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 104 times.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:07 AM   #1
Kathy S.

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Kathy S. is on a distinguished road

Crazy Monster Bird Since Spring!

Within the past week Willieís Hormones are all over the place and the first day of Spring made him even more of a severely super high energy bird! Heís constantly screaming and trying to court with everything in and around his cage! Heís still on his starvation bout where heíll only eat his treat seed and nothing else! His treat seed that heís so obsessed with is chia and when I take it away he will still continue to starve! I am so stressed about him that Iím about ready to give him away! I am going to try giving him some diluted Camomile Tea to see if that will calm him down!
Kathy S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

It definitely is hormonal season and many bird owners are reporting that it is affecting their bird's behavior. Chia seed is VERY healthy for them and I also use it as a treat. My parrotlet loves it as well.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

You need to find a way to break Willie's habit of Chia seeds only. Chia is a very good seed to eat. Will he eat from your hands/fingers if you feed him one seed at a time? Now would be a good time to try different seeds since he is hormonal. If he had a female with him right now, he would most likely accept her feeding him. ( if they were compatible).

I think you have some hemp seeds there. While Willie is in his cage, could you try to feed him one seed at a time through the bars? Try it quite a few times. Say, " Yum yum. Yum yum! " every time you feed him a seed. Get him used to the words, " Yum Yum " because they mean something good. ( Of course, if you gave him something he really likes.)

Ricochet will come a flying if I say, " Ricochet, do you want a yum yum, yum yum? " while holding up my hand. ( you could say "treat " if you want). Yum yum can mean anything he likes, including veggies, etc.

I have had hundreds of birds and I never had one who would only eat one thing only. His instincts tell him to forage for different foods. Try a mix of hemp and chia together and see what he does. Really pay attention to how many seeds he eats of each. Look at the husks of the hemp seeds.

Get a broccoli floret and hide some chia seeds in between the flowers. Just cram them in it, then stick the floret in between the bars next to a perch.
Something has to work. Keep trying.

Dave.

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
Kathy S.

[QUOTE=JackieRTP;1032869]It definitely is hormonal season and many bird owners are reporting that it is affecting their bird's behavior. Chia seed is VERY healthy for them and I also use it as a treat. My parrotlet loves it as well.[/QUOTE

I feel bad I didnít mean to say I would give him away! ☹️ Yesterday was very stressful for both me and Willie. Today he actually calmed down. I read online on how I might be able to get him back on track with his good food but the articles said that it may take some time. It said to take a bit of his pellet food and add a little warm water to it and the seed that heĒs eating and mush it together using your hands and place it in his food dish and when he goes to eat the seed the pellet food will stick to the seed and so he ends up eating both. He is going to his dish now and eats but itís too soon to tell if heís eating enough of it but just need some time.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
Kathy S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
You need to find a way to break Willie's habit of Chia seeds only. Chia is a very good seed to eat. Will he eat from your hands/fingers if you feed him one seed at a time? Now would be a good time to try different seeds since he is hormonal. If he had a female with him right now, he would most likely accept her feeding him. ( if they were compatible).

I think you have some hemp seeds there. While Willie is in his cage, could you try to feed him one seed at a time through the bars? Try it quite a few times. Say, " Yum yum. Yum yum! " every time you feed him a seed. Get him used to the words, " Yum Yum " because they mean something good. ( Of course, if you gave him something he really likes.)

Ricochet will come a flying if I say, " Ricochet, do you want a yum yum, yum yum? " while holding up my hand. ( you could say "treat " if you want). Yum yum can mean anything he likes, including veggies, etc.

I have had hundreds of birds and I never had one who would only eat one thing only. His instincts tell him to forage for different foods. Try a mix of hemp and chia together and see what he does. Really pay attention to how many seeds he eats of each. Look at the husks of the hemp seeds.

Get a broccoli floret and hide some chia seeds in between the flowers. Just cram them in it, then stick the floret in between the bars next to a perch.
Something has to work. Keep trying.

Dave.

Thank you! 😕