Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Stuck at Home

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 176 times.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
GrandmaLil

Parrotlets Owned: One
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

GrandmaLil is on a distinguished road

Stuck at Home

Iím retired so I do spend a lot of time at home. With the recommendations to stay at home because of the covid-19 virus, Iím home most of the time. This has made Pip extremely happy. Heís out of the cage most of the time. Unfortunately he is driving me nuts. Iím his favorite toy. He is pestering me. He wants to play, cuddle or just sit on me. Of course while heís sitting, he wants to preen me. That includes biting at the skin tags on my neck. Ouch.
I have a lot of sympathy who have young children stuck at home at this time.
Stay safe everyone.
GrandmaLil is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
Joeyd

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Joeyd is on a distinguished road

Have you looked into maybe teaching him some tricks?
Old 03-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #3
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

With the current COVID-19 virus outbreak, in my current job - I have been working from home using a work laptop and have been here since last week. I have setup the laptop next to my parrotlet's cage (his name is Rio). He has been able to be out of his cage most of the day and is definitely loving it. Everyone is different of course, but it has not bothered me. He has definitely been demanding some additional beak kisses and attention. I have been able to get some head rubs in. Luckily he does not generally pull on my skin in any way or bite my neck. He is pretty calm, for a parrotlet!
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

GrandmaLil,

I know what you mean about having a bird attached to oneself! With Bogie, I didn't have that problem and he was out all day long! He would visit me from time to time, then go talk to his plastic dinosaur, Dino, for a while, then sit on the window sill for an hour or so at a time.
But, when I did certain chores, he got involved! When I vacuumed the carpet, he would sit on my neck up against my ear and sing one of the most beautiful melodies I have ever heard a p'lett sing/whistle. He sang the same song each time for the 10 years he was alive! Then, as I started to perspire and my hair got wet on my neck, he would make all the hair slant to the right, all the way across the nape of my neck. The wet hair was perfect. He never missed a chance to do this. I used to say to my wife, " Bogie ' barbered ' me again! "

Ricochet, on the other hand, doesn't mess with my hair on my neck. But he does get on my shoulder and sing a little bit when I vacuum. I started whistling Bogie's melody the best I could and Ricochet picked up on some of it.

Ricochet gets into everything that moves. He has a word vocabulary of 25 words and phrases, but he has lost interest in talking too much human. He will fly to my hand and say, " Scratch your back" or " Tickle tickle ", which means he wants me to scritch his neck, head and back.

Like Jackie, my wife is working from home for a while. I have to keep the computer/craft room door shut or Ricochet will aggravate Vicki to death! I take the brunt of his playful aggression during the day.

Try to do different things around the house with Pip. Sometimes I just sit at a table and shred some paper towels very slowly. Ricochet helps me all the time. I constantly talk to him the whole time I play with him. I use expression in my words.

Stay well! Do not go out if you can help it. People are panic buying. I saw a show on Dr. Phil today. He had experts in the medical field who talked about the Corona-19 virus. They all agreed that the virus was spreading just like other flu viruses, but it stays around a lot longer so this makes it more catchable.

Dr. Phil talked to a man who had the virus on a cruise boat. The man was retired. He said he got a headache. Then, the fever hit 104 degrees for 4 days and he was a little nauseated. Then, he was fine! No coughing or hacking or running to the toilet or blowing his nose. He looked great. He reported just about what the 37 year old woman said she went through.

It seemed that the experts agreed that we humans are over buying toilet paper and tissue paper and water and soups, etc. They were concerned that people had hoarded masks and sanitized products.

The show will rerun again Friday morning at 5:30 AM on some cables. Look for it if you are up! ( It ran the 18th and 19th).

David, Vicki, Ricochet

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:23 PM   #5
ElizabethR

ElizabethR is on a distinguished road

Perry and I have had ups and downs this week - I've cleaned up more poops than a normal week, had to fend off (with varying success) more beaky tantrums than usual, often resulting from my putting her back in her cage to keep her from eating my computer and/or computer cord. But she's also been impressively patient while I worked once she was in her cage. And we've had more times like in this picture than we would in a normal week. AND we're working on learning "spin," which was the result of an attempt at a distraction/using a bad biting situation to make a fun learning opportunity. I'm trying to focus on the highlights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200319_195756_1584750050554.jpg (82.2 KB, 11 views)
ElizabethR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:10 PM   #6
GrandmaLil

Parrotlets Owned: One
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

GrandmaLil is on a distinguished road

Pip is happy sitting on me most of the time. He falls asleep on my shoulder, chest and on my wrist at one point.
We played with some knitting marker rings and his wicker balls, but he was only slightly interested.
I went for a hike and Iím sorry I never got a birdie backpack. Pip had to stay home, but he seemed happy enough to spend a bit of time in his cage.
GrandmaLil is online now   Reply With Quote