Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

Very Annoyed With Pet Stores

This thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 188 times.

Old 03-06-2020, 02:14 AM   #1
Kathy S.

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Kathy S. is on a distinguished road

Very Annoyed With Pet Stores

I was at a pet store yesterday and a family was looking at parakeets to buy. The parents told the store owner that theyíve never owned birds before but within minutes the store owner talked them into buying a male and female parakeet and told them the only thing they needed to eat was plain bagged seed which he of course sold to them! I heard no talk from him of fresh fruit or vegetables or sprouts! Iím just sick by it! 😡
Kathy S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 02:46 AM   #2
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

I probably would have been that annoying customer who interjected with my un solicited bird advice.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
Joeyd

Joeyd is on a distinguished road

I've had a few posts on here with the same type of sadness.

Same goes with individual breeders as well. Horrible conditions for their birds, no toys, etc.

I try to do my part when talking to other people. It's always heart breaking to see a bird in a cage with just a wooden dowel and that is their setup for life.

Growing up I remember people having birds like budgies and small birds and never liking them. They were just something they bought to look at..they fell into the thinking that birds don't have personalities or memories so it doesn't really matter.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
kpenguins48

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy S. View Post
I was at a pet store yesterday and a family was looking at parakeets to buy. The parents told the store owner that theyíve never owned birds before but within minutes the store owner talked them into buying a male and female parakeet and told them the only thing they needed to eat was plain bagged seed which he of course sold to them! I heard no talk from him of fresh fruit or vegetables or sprouts! Iím just sick by it! 😡
I've been known to put in my two cents. I get so frustrated with pet stores and their ignorance and indifference.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

I definitely would have given the store owner and the family buying the birds some facts and advice. The store owner especially, since they are supposed to be somewhat knowledgeable about the animals they are selling, not just the products. I would consider leaving some feedback on their social media sites (Facebook, Twitter) and Yelp, etc to advise potential shoppers that they are not knowledgeable on birds.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyd View Post
I've had a few posts on here with the same type of sadness.

Same goes with individual breeders as well. Horrible conditions for their birds, no toys, etc.

I try to do my part when talking to other people. It's always heart breaking to see a bird in a cage with just a wooden dowel and that is their setup for life.

Growing up I remember people having birds like budgies and small birds and never liking them. They were just something they bought to look at..they fell into the thinking that birds don't have personalities or memories so it doesn't really matter.

I have seen these horrible conditions you talk about. I have mentioned this before in this forum. One of the earliest cases I had to work on during my law enforcement career was the case where I discovered a warehouse in Miami Springs, Florida, that was loaded with over 300 parrots of different sizes. I had been working on a narcotic case, but when I discovered these parrots, I asked to be removed from the drug operation and was removed.
I couldn't believe the condition of these birds! They all were horribly treated and I was determined to bring the bad guys to justice no matter what the cost. They raised the parrots for their feathers only! How sick!

Most of the parrots were insane. I was told by some avian experts who were involved in this case that the parrot is the only living animal besides a human, who can go insane. Many of these birds were blind, and constantly moving back and forth on there perches until exhausted.

My love for birds grew exponentially during this case and me and my partner arrested 11 savages and dared them to resist being arrested! I think I would have knocked their teeth out if they resisted! They were put in prison when they lost their cases.

The city of Miami raised 3 million dollars for the care of these fine feathered friends of ours and the ones who were not put down were all found good homes.

There is so much misinformation out there about our birds that it is scary. I would have spoken up to the new parakeet owners and I would have directed them to our forum, just to get an idea of how to care for a small bird. Of course, I would tell them to find a budgie forum, too.

I am thinking of adding a age or two in Bogie's book about many different addresses people can contact to get information about their pet birds.

Any suggestions or addresses?

Dave

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:50 PM   #7
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enough

The pet store where I got Pip from was pretty good really. They gave me a print out that had the good and bad foods and a list of all the bird safe woods along with instructions for care too. Like making sure you gave your bird ample time to rest and eat after you have had them out. I think it was something like give them an hour for every 15 min you have them out of the cage so they can rest and eat.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:41 PM   #8
Kathy S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
I probably would have been that annoying customer who interjected with my un solicited bird advice.
Itís a little mom and pop store that I go to on and off but it recently acquired new owners. The former owners didnít sell birds and I was happy about that. Next time Iím there Iím gonna nicely mention if they could possibly direct the new bird owners over to the pellet food isle.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #9
Kathy S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
The pet store where I got Pip from was pretty good really. They gave me a print out that had the good and bad foods and a list of all the bird safe woods along with instructions for care too. Like making sure you gave your bird ample time to rest and eat after you have had them out. I think it was something like give them an hour for every 15 min you have them out of the cage so they can rest and eat.
Iím happy to hear that! 😊
Old 03-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #10
Joeyd

Joeyd is on a distinguished road

I wish this bird was closer or if it could find a better home owner....

I see ad's like this and it's so sad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 3.56.47 PM.jpg (14.6 KB, 5 views)