Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

Insecticides

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 85 times.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:06 PM   #1
ElizabethR

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

ElizabethR is on a distinguished road

Insecticides

I have several houseplants, mostly herbs and aloe. I've had them for years, and for almost just as long, I've fought a losing battle with aphids. My aloe plants miraculously fought them off themselves after a while, or maybe just rallied as the bugs were drawn to apparently more appealing basil and sage. Last year my sage gave up the ghost, and I replaced it. I was repeatedly impressed by my basil that seemed dead more than once, then somehow rebounded; but a week or 2 ago, I had to accept that it, too, was gone for good.
So I went to my favorite plant place...possibly my favorite place in the world (they have goats, chickens, ducks, a pig, a cat, and a beloved register rabbit in addition to all the plants and herbs anyone could ever want) to get more basil yesterday. As I was about to check out, I saw they had a good selection of organic insect sprays. I asked if any of them would be effective against aphids and, most importantly, safe for my bird, as I needed to use it on plants that she loves and that I use for treats and training with her. The guy handed me a bottle of insect soap and said it was super mild, non-toxic, but effective. However, he's a plant guy, not a bird guy, so of course I still wonder, considering the huge number of things potentially harmful to our tiny feathered friends.
Just wondering if any of y'all have used this, or know anything about it. Google didn't turn up anything concerning, so I'm thinking it's probably ok. But before I use it, I want to make sure I wouldn't be harming Perry to give her any of what I spray it on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200315_174057_1584313345193.jpg (87.2 KB, 2 views)
ElizabethR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Hi, Elizabeth!

If you could put the list of ingredients down for us, then we might be able to help. I have seen this product somewhere in my life. It is a soap. Soaps give bugs a tummy ache, so to speak, and this makes the bug move on.

I can suggest something for you. It is on the same line as soap. I used liquid Dawn on my 60 foot by 60 foot organic veggie garden. I rarely had a bug! My neighbors asked me how I kept bugs away. I told them that I sprayed down my veggies with a mixture of 3 ounces of Dawn detergent mixed in 2 quarts of water. I sprayed all plants every 7 days. It did not kill bugs, but it kept them from having an appetite, so they starved or moved on.

My Ligustrum hedge plants got aphids, so I used the same mixture of Dawn on them. I ended up using 6 ounces of Dawn instead of 3 ounces. It worked after 2 months.

I do not have the ingredients of Dawn right now, but it is safe when diluted for humans. I don't think it would hurt your p'lett if you sprayed this formula and let it dry before your birdie is let out of the cage.

This is safe! I had to treat my budgies all the time with mineral oil for mites on their beaks, as per the vet. You can get some mineral oil and dab the aphids slightly. They will safely suffocate, for sure. Mineral oil is safe for your bird. It just takes time to apply it to the aphids.

I know that Ladybugs eat aphids as their only food source. Try them!

Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #3
ElizabethR

Parrotlets Owned: 1

ElizabethR is on a distinguished road

Thanks, David! I've tried ladybugs. Twice, actually. For several reasons I won't bore people with, they were unsuccessful. I'll give the Dawn mixture a try!
ElizabethR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

My neighbors used to come over and ask me how come my garden didn't have a lot of bug damage and I told them. You have to keep treating the bugs and never miss a treatment.

Good luck! Oh...the ladybugs like it really warm around the plants all day long or they won't get much of an appetite.

Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote