Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Thanks Dave!

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 141 times.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
NorthernGannet

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

NorthernGannet is on a distinguished road

Thanks Dave!

In a previous thread Dave had mentioned the the p'lets like hemp seeds. Last time I was at the store I picked some up. Wellll.... something I did not anticipate happened: Luna was scared to take a seed out of my fingers.

I've spent months feeding her things from my fingers, but they'd all been larger things she could take bites from. Like an avi-cake, 1" piece of millet, etc. And never ever has she fallen for attempted food bribery to calmly get on my hand (we must do that work the traditional way!). So when I showed her this tiny speck in my finger tips, she took one look and ran away all nutso like it was day 1. No way did she want it THAT badly!

Fortunately she trusts me a lot more than on the real day 1, so progress in her "bravery" was much faster. I had to start again working from outside the cage. Since she's learned that's most definitely safe now, it went quickly, and now we're on to the inside of the cage. Still working on it, and I even modeled it for her with my linnie (a non-food oriented bird who I discovered will literally run over for them!), but she will come and take them sometimes now, as long as I'm patient and hold my hand very still. Sometimes I drop them before she gets it, but that doesn't seem to bother her

So, THANKS DAVE (x2!) for the hemp seed referral!!

-NG
NorthernGannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 08:34 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernGannet View Post
In a previous thread Dave had mentioned the the p'lets like hemp seeds. Last time I was at the store I picked some up. Wellll.... something I did not anticipate happened: Luna was scared to take a seed out of my fingers.

I've spent months feeding her things from my fingers, but they'd all been larger things she could take bites from. Like an avi-cake, 1" piece of millet, etc. And never ever has she fallen for attempted food bribery to calmly get on my hand (we must do that work the traditional way!). So when I showed her this tiny speck in my finger tips, she took one look and ran away all nutso like it was day 1. No way did she want it THAT badly!

Fortunately she trusts me a lot more than on the real day 1, so progress in her "bravery" was much faster. I had to start again working from outside the cage. Since she's learned that's most definitely safe now, it went quickly, and now we're on to the inside of the cage. Still working on it, and I even modeled it for her with my linnie (a non-food oriented bird who I discovered will literally run over for them!), but she will come and take them sometimes now, as long as I'm patient and hold my hand very still. Sometimes I drop them before she gets it, but that doesn't seem to bother her

So, THANKS DAVE (x2!) for the hemp seed referral!!

-NG

You are welcome! Hemp actually makes them feel better, like willow twigs.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
aqueilo

Parrotlets Owned: 1

aqueilo is on a distinguished road

My bird loves hemp!! Keep trying, they'll eventually go crazy for it

aqueilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 12:31 AM   #4
GrandmaLil

Parrotlets Owned: One
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

GrandmaLil is on a distinguished road

I got a mix of hemp, chia and flax at the health food store. Pip loves it. This morning I put some in my palm and he climbed in and had a great time. However, a few times he missed the seed and got me. (Iím not sure that was accidental). Lol
GrandmaLil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
lindav

Parrotlets Owned: 1

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Oliver loves them on his veggie dish, encouraging him to eat fresh foods instead of seeds all the time.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
NorthernGannet

NorthernGannet is on a distinguished road

that is a good idea, putting them on fresh foods to encourage that. She has yet to try any veggie or fruit or egg that I've offered her. She'll run over to look at whatever it is, and might even taste it with her tongue, but then that's it. Period. She does jump into (literally) my Grape Nuts though?? Funny.

So I've noticed improvement using these small seeds as a treat inside her cage. I decided not to mollycoddle anything. No slow movement, no sweet tone of voice, just head my hand (holding seed in fingertips) towards her at a normal speed like you would with a regularly hand-tame bird who stays still. When she freaked out I just followed her around wherever she went. There were a couple times in the thick of it that she jumped onto my hand because she thought I was trying to get her out. It confused her when I just stayed still and did nothing! Then she jumped back off and kept running around. The first time took about 5 minutes of this before she calmed down enough to realize there was one of those yummy seeds in my hand. Once she took it, no more running for that session even when I removed my hand to get a new seed and re-approach her.

Each session has improved slowly with the initial offering. This morning she only hustled off a short distance down the side of her cage before coming back, all in a flurry. And then I'm able to just put my fingers right up close to her to give her the seed, no problem. I foresee this as the baby step we needed to help with solving the initial brain fry when I'm actually getting her out. I had no idea small seeds were the ticket! Maybe I'll see if she likes the chia and/or hemp too, like Pip!
NorthernGannet is offline   Reply With Quote