Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

New cage, new sleeping spot?

This thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 156 times.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
NorthernGannet

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

NorthernGannet is on a distinguished road

New cage, new sleeping spot?

I'm curious if those of you who have moved your bird(s) into larger cages have had them change their sleeping spots once in the new cage?

When I moved the p'let, she spent the first few nights in her "old" spot (I put her sleeping perch with fleece thing on the side in the same type of position as in her old cage). But after that she switched to a wooden swing that was not in her old cage. After a month or so on the wooden swing, she moved to a rope swing (also was not in her old cage) and has preferred that ever since.

She will spend her days on her old sleeping perch snuggled into the fleece, so she obviously still likes it.

When I moved my linnie into his larger cage, he also spent the first night or two in his original sleeping spot: a fleece swing. But then he moved to a perch (that was not in his old cage) and has been there every night since (over a month now).

Has anyone else experienced this? A larger cage = more options for perches and such, so I guess they are saying that although they made do with what they had when they moved in with me, it's always better to have a choice!

-NG
NorthernGannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Bryan will become famous soon enough

When I first got Pip he slept in two different spots before picking the unusual spot he sleeps now. He has a rope knot swing that is fluffy with chew things on it like mineral chews and shells but he sleeps on the side/top of it not inside the swing. To me it seems like it would be uncomfortable but that is the spot he likes.

I even bought him a grass hut/nest kind of thing and he has yet to use it much other than for a shredder toy. He has even stopped shredding it now and it just sits there. Maybe one day he will use it as a sleeping spot but for now he hangs on the side of his swing..idk

Last edited by Bryan; 08-12-2019 at 05:07 PM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
PeggyK

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

PeggyK is on a distinguished road

Someone had suggested I put Corby's sleeping perch in the same spot in his new cage so I did. He always sleeps there. But maybe if he had more choices he would switch around! I have thought about getting him one of those fleecy triangle tents!
PeggyK is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Birds do change sleeping spots from time to time and some do not.

Birds in the wild will fly back to the tree roost where he slept the night before as long as he was safe. He will sleep on the exact same spot. Every time I got a new cage for Bogie, I made sure his sleeping perch was in the same spot and he went right to it . Ricochet has slept on the same perch, but sometimes he will walk down the perch to the other side and go to sleep.

It's okay for them to change spots, as long as it is not on the bottom of the cage!

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
Pollyanna

Pollyanna is on a distinguished road

Gigi sleeps on her swing a lot and on her favorite sleeping perch. It’s in the same place as she had in the old cage. She loves being covered

Pollyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:11 PM   #6
NorthernGannet

NorthernGannet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyK View Post
Someone had suggested I put Corby's sleeping perch in the same spot in his new cage so I did. He always sleeps there. But maybe if he had more choices he would switch around! I have thought about getting him one of those fleecy triangle tents!

I've read too many horror stories about those fleece huts to dare. And it's true, they absolutely do shred into a tangly mess. I'm sure most of us would keep a close on eye on the condition and cleanliness, so maybe it wouldn't be an issue. I also didn't want to incite any potential nesting behavior. So, I opted for a corner cozy fleece thing for Luna. I just hung it on the side by a perch, not even in a corner. She loves snuggling up next to it, and sometimes she perches on top of it. The other day when she was displeased about something, she used it as a punching bag with her head. I kid you not. It's versatile
NorthernGannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:54 PM   #7
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernGannet View Post
The other day when she was displeased about something, she used it as a punching bag with her head. I kid you not. It's versatile
Pip does this with his swing in the mornings when he wakes up. He has a pedicure perch set up by his swing and he will peck/punch the swing from it like a punching bag in the morning after he climbs down onto the perch.

I sometimes worry that he is not getting enough sleep or something because he is so grumpy in the morning. I did test this one day and left him covered up but he started making calls soon after. I guess he is just a grouch in the morning before he has had his breakfast.. hehe

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:45 AM   #8
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the rough

My guy has different cages because we travel with him he does not have the same sleeping spot in any of them.

in our seasonal home he has a swing with colored beads on the side parts, he sleeps hanging close to the top of the swing not on the wooden bottom that you would think. He looks so uncomfortable hubby tells me I should lower the swing. Silly feathered friends
Old 08-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #9
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Oliver favors his fleece in the corner of his cage, where there is a hanging toy with a plastic mirror under it. He perches under the hanging toy ---- his only place to sleep. The fleece is not shredded in any way and in very good condition.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Rio sleeps on his boing every night on the top rung.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote