Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

New cage, new sleeping spot?

876 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JackieRTP 
#1 ·
I'm curious if those of you who have moved your bird(s) into larger cages have had them change their sleeping spots once in the new cage?

When I moved the p'let, she spent the first few nights in her "old" spot (I put her sleeping perch with fleece thing on the side in the same type of position as in her old cage). But after that she switched to a wooden swing that was not in her old cage. After a month or so on the wooden swing, she moved to a rope swing (also was not in her old cage) and has preferred that ever since.

She will spend her days on her old sleeping perch snuggled into the fleece, so she obviously still likes it.

When I moved my linnie into his larger cage, he also spent the first night or two in his original sleeping spot: a fleece swing. But then he moved to a perch (that was not in his old cage) and has been there every night since (over a month now).

Has anyone else experienced this? A larger cage = more options for perches and such, so I guess they are saying that although they made do with what they had when they moved in with me, it's always better to have a choice!

-NG

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
When I first got Pip he slept in two different spots before picking the unusual spot he sleeps now. He has a rope knot swing that is fluffy with chew things on it like mineral chews and shells but he sleeps on the side/top of it not inside the swing. To me it seems like it would be uncomfortable but that is the spot he likes.

I even bought him a grass hut/nest kind of thing and he has yet to use it much other than for a shredder toy. He has even stopped shredding it now and it just sits there. Maybe one day he will use it as a sleeping spot but for now he hangs on the side of his swing..idk

#6 ·
I've read too many horror stories about those fleece huts to dare. And it's true, they absolutely do shred into a tangly mess. I'm sure most of us would keep a close on eye on the condition and cleanliness, so maybe it wouldn't be an issue. I also didn't want to incite any potential nesting behavior. So, I opted for a corner cozy fleece thing for Luna. I just hung it on the side by a perch, not even in a corner. She loves snuggling up next to it, and sometimes she perches on top of it. The other day when she was displeased about something, she used it as a punching bag with her head. I kid you not. It's versatile :)

#4 ·
Birds do change sleeping spots from time to time and some do not.

Birds in the wild will fly back to the tree roost where he slept the night before as long as he was safe. He will sleep on the exact same spot. Every time I got a new cage for Bogie, I made sure his sleeping perch was in the same spot and he went right to it . Ricochet has slept on the same perch, but sometimes he will walk down the perch to the other side and go to sleep.

It's okay for them to change spots, as long as it is not on the bottom of the cage!

David and Ricochet:cool:;)

#8 ·
My guy has different cages because we travel with him he does not have the same sleeping spot in any of them.

in our seasonal home he has a swing with colored beads on the side parts, he sleeps hanging close to the top of the swing not on the wooden bottom that you would think. He looks so uncomfortable hubby tells me I should lower the swing. Silly feathered friends

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.