Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

Sleep

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 171 times.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
MyLittleTiki

MyLittleTiki is on a distinguished road

Sleep

I have Tiki's cage in my room. I have Type 1 Diabetes, so I have to check my blood sugar every now and then, and constantly manage it (take Insulin, eat sugar.). At night, my mom will come and check my sugar and take care of it (I'm still a kid so I can't do it myself yet), but when she does I'm afraid it might wake Tiki up. I cover her cage up but I think she still wakes up . She's never slept in any room other than mine. From what I see, she doesn't seem sleep-deprived in the day, but I don't know how much sleep she gets and whether I should worry about making small noises at night?

Any suggestions? thanks
MyLittleTiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Bryan will become famous soon enough

Birds are used to noises just think about them sleeping in the wild at night and all the noises that happen. I think Tiki will be fine just make sure the cover you use is a good one to stop as much light as possible for when you have to turn on your light.

If you are still concerned about it you could get a small sleeping cage for your bird and put her in a room that has less disturbances during the night. It would not have to be a large cage just something for her to sleep in and portable so you can move it around easy.

Last edited by Bryan; 08-10-2019 at 11:11 PM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
MyLittleTiki

MyLittleTiki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Birds are used to noises just think about them sleeping in the wild at night and all the noises that happen. I think Tiki will be fine just make sure the cover you use is a good one to stop as much light as possible for when you have to turn on your light.

If you are still concerned about it you could get a small sleeping cage for your bird and put her in a room that has less disturbances during the night. It would not have to be a large cage just something for her to sleep in and portable so you can move it around easy.
Thank you! It's been worrying me.
MyLittleTiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum!

I am diabetic too! So sometimes I have to get up at night and take a shot or get something to eat to help my sugar stay in balance. My Ricochet's cage is a few feet away from the refrigerator and I have to turn on a little bit of light. It does not bother him at all, as long as I don't say Ricochet's name or make loud noises.

Make sure the cage is covered and you have your Tiki get at least 11-12 hours of sleep . You can keep Tiki in your room all you want. Tell your mother to please keep the talking down. A whisper will do.

Some people put their bird in a sleeping cage at night in another room and you can do this, but it will be okay if you don't. Tiki knows you are sleeping in the same room and is used to you.

Tell us more about Tiki and you! How old is Tiki? Are you in high school? Does Tiki talk?

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:19 AM   #5
Pateetchka

Parrotlets Owned: 4

Pateetchka is on a distinguished road

Joey sleeps in a "bedtime cage" in my bedroom with me at night. Two things we do to help him stay asleep when he's supposed to (regardless of what we might have to do like turn on the light or wake up at 5 am and leave for work) is 1: we have the cage covered with a light blockingly thick blanket and 2: we have a noisy fan on in the room at all times that blocks out noise.

Joey has learned that if we aren't pulling his blanket off or turning the fan off then he is allowed to sleep through whatever's going on. However if I turn the fan off he might chirp and wonder if it's wake-up time yet. If I open the blanket on his cage he will definitely stick his head out from his dangley toy he sleeps under and be like, "Hey! What's up I'm sleeping here!"

Pateetchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:57 AM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

I am surprised that Joey doesn't say, " Hey! Don't you ever knock first? " when you peek into his cage.

Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #7
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Bryan will become famous soon enough

I always give Pip Pip a verbal warning first.. hehe

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cage cover, health, sleep