Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > New Members Area > Introductions

Introductions If you're a new member, introduce yourself to the community so we can all welcome you here!

Notices

Needing Help

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 115 times.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
Jess13

Jess13 is on a distinguished road

Needing Help

Hi Everyone. I’m new and looking for some answers to what’s happening with my parrotlets. Paco, Blue Pacific male I got first. Everything was great. At the time I was home a lot. The very next day of me being out of the house for most of the day he started plucking. Poor wee fellow. I was sewing him a new anti plucking collar everyday because he’d spent the whole day trying to get it off. I read everything I could find, tried everything that was suggested. The vet prescribe anti depressants.
It started to give me anxiety. I was at my wits end, I took a chance and got a younger female from the same breeder. She’s a pretty Diluted Blue, Pam.
I knew I ran the risk of them bonding and becoming anti social. I didn’t care, I just wanted Paco to stop plucking.
It worked!!
When I introduced them, I swear they fell instantly in love. lol. He immediately stopped plucking and within a couple months he was back to looking like his old self. Everything was fine. Pam is dominate, bossy female but normal until about two months ago. Her aggression has crossed the line to fighting that’s is unacceptable. Their cage was more than accomdating, they have lots of free time and stimulation.
So I p835DB1E1-15B5-43F5-A77B-9B181ED13D0A_1565376928797.jpg835DB1E1-15B5-43F5-A77B-9B181ED13D0A_1565376928797.jpgeparated them into their own cages. Thing is when they’re apart they freak out. Her mostly. Depends, he does but sometimes I know he’s hiding from her. Probably saying, good lord woman don’t you ever shut up! lol I put their cages beside each other. That didn’t stop it.
It’s like an abusive relationship. They carry on cause their separated but during free time she’s horrible toward him. If she can she’ll pull at his feathers.
Has anyone experience anything like this.
Paco will be 1 in Oct and Pam will be 1 in Jan. Does this behaviour stop? What triggered it for her to become so nasty? She never stops with her mouth lol
I’ve attached some pics. Paco with his plucking collar. Then when Pam and him were first introduced. Then the a picture of him with his feathers back, feeling confident and heathy.
Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time everyone
Jess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
laracroft

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

laracroft will become famous soon enough

It sounds to me like they got along while Pam was still a baby, but once she started maturing she got territorial. I would separate them entirely for now, to different rooms so they can't see or hear each other. It sounds like being able to see but not reach each other is just upsetting them, and it's not safe for them to be together.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
kpenguins48

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
I agree with laracroft. Now that your female has matured she is aggressive. Sometimes it's so hard to figure our birds out. I'm glad they are now separate because she might've killed him. Unfortunately parrotlets can fight to the death.

The Little Prince

Last edited by kpenguins48; 08-09-2019 at 06:20 PM..
kpenguins48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

You do have a problem! The female matured and they are not compatible. She looks at the male as a mate and he doesn't look at her that way. From what I know about small birds, they will never be compatible.

Answer this question, it is important!

Q: Have you ever seen them copulate completely? Not just a simulated act, but an actual completed act?

Let us know.

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
Jess13

Jess13 is on a distinguished road

Ah man. I didn’t want to admit to myself what everyone has confirmed. Disappointing.

And to answer your question.
No. I haven’t.
Before the nasty aggression started, yes but only the simulated.
They have their moments of tenderness, where she’ll allow him to scratch her neck and the back of her head and they kiss. But then she’ll back off and kind of charge at him.

Poor fella. He can’t catch a break.

Thank you guys for your replies.
Jess13 is offline   Reply With Quote