Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Catalina Eagle Cam

984 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Anya 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd post this because this little eaglet named Champion is about 12 weeks and still hasn't fledged yet. It should be happening soon. I feel so sorry for her/him, because they often spend a lot of time alone until mom and dad shows up with something to eat.

Catalina Island Bald Eagle Cam - Two Harbors camera | Explore.org

#3 ·
That's true, but I don't think these eagle parents do anything without a reason. They believe Champion is a female because of her size and that it took longer for her to fledge.

Dave, I was able to see her fledge. It was so beautiful! She landed half way down the hillside. Thank goodness it wasn't the other side - it's a 300 foot drop off a cliff. While she was on the hillside, dad delivered her some food.

It was funny, while Champion (the baby) was gone, mom came and cleaned up the nest. Just like a typical mom cleaning up the kids room.

To my relief, Champ managed to hop her way back up the hill to her nest and Mom brought her a second fish for dinner.

I've been watching Champ for about 9 weeks and have become so attached to her. I'm sure going to miss her when she's gone.

#4 ·
Just think...The birds have been doing this for about a million years or so. Even if we think the parents aren't around, just try to climb up to the nest ledge and see what happens!

Champion is a beautiful eagle who moved very little so to not draw attention to itself. Here, in Florida, we have the American Bald Eagle all over the distant woods ( forests ) . When I first got married in 1974 to Vicki, I was so happy to find that she was in favor of saving and protecting the environment. I was a member of Greenpeace.( When I went to the police academy, I was questioned about my roll in the ' subversive ' group called Greenpeace. They almost removed me from the academy! )

Watching that video made me wanting to get involved in nature projects again, but I am not able to get around very much, so I donate what money I can to help. My biggest donations go to an Indian children's school in Chamberlain, South Dakota and Arbor Day groups.

Birds are amazing and beautiful. That video showed nature at its best! Thanks!

David and Vicki;):rolleyes:

#7 ·
Sorry, David! I just noticed this now - Since I was on the forum this morning, I just came here to see how Champion is doing and found that I hadn't even read this. I don't know how I missed it! lol I'm such a numpty! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm glad you like the video. I love anything to do with nature, too. Marine animals (Sea Otters especially) and elephants happen to be my favorites. Did you hear about the 350 dead elephants in Botswana? This is devastating. They still don't know what is causing it yet. Like 2020 isn't bad enough...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53257512

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.