Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Oliver hears very well, or my imagination

787 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  lindav 
#1 ·
I drove home from an errand while my husband stayed l home. He told me Oliver went "nuts" a minute before I opened the garage door. Oliver heard my car from down the street. He didn't think that was possible.:eek:

I told him how I observed our family parakeet heard my brother's car a block away from our house when I was a girl. My mom didn't believe me at first, but after her observations she had to agree that when "Timmy" fussed at 4:30, it meant my brother was down the street coming home.:eek:
Anyone can relate??

#3 ·
Bogie and Ricochet knew when I drove up the driveway. I walked 20 feet to the front door and before I put the keys in the door lock, I could hear Bogie or Ricochet going nuts! One day, I parked in front of my home and got out and I sneaked up to the door. Bogie or Ricochet would be going nuts! They had to have heard me somehow. They couldn't see me.
When I unlocked the door, they would continue the chirping and flock calling until I got to the cage and gave them a kiss.

How?

Dave:confused:

#5 ·
Hearing a bird's second most important sense, behind sight. They hear a smaller frequency range than humans, but they have much more acute sound recognition skills. Birds are especially sensitive to pitch, tone, and rhythm changes and use those variations to recognize other individual birds, even in a noisy flock. Given that they are prey animals in the wild, being able to differentiate sounds is essential to survival. Our cars have unique sound frequencies that birds are able to hear and use to their advantage to identify when you are approaching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.