Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

I Feel Alone At Feeling Bad About This!

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  lindav 
#1 ·
I got a call from the office of my apartment complex about a complaint from a woman on another floor saying that birds are nesting in my clothes dryer duct and they’re flying over her terrace and pooping everywhere! The employee from the office told me she had to come onto my terrace and remove the bird’s nest and then plug up the hole. I don’t own a washer/dryer so it’s not like it’s any danger of a fire happening. So I said to her what if there were babies in the nest and she said she would still take the nest out and plop it in the woods somewhere and hope the parents find it! I was very annoyed about hearing this so I called the National Audubon Society but I was told since the birds are Starlings they are not native to New Jersey so they’re not protected here. The woman from the Audubon Society did say that no matter what kind of bird it is that it is not a good idea to move a nest and I agree! So the woman from the apartment office showed up at my apartment yesterday and with using a duster handle began digging into the dryer duct and was just pulling out pine needles and lots of them. So she said that’s all she found and nothing else so she then closed up the hole but now I’m faced with the starlings coming back continually flying near my window and shrieking that they can’t get back into their nest! I feel so sorry for them! ☹

#2 ·
Boy oh boy, Kathy! Some people have all the nerve! They do not care! All the person needed to do was take the nest out and safely move it to a nice bush! Trust me, the parent birds were watching every move. Florida has millions of starlings. They build nests all over the place. They will actually eat out wood soffits on the eves of houses and make a nest in the attics of homes! Dryer vents can be mended by adding stiff screening around them without interfering with air flow. I suggest you do this. If I am correct, in any state, a person can't legally touch your property to remove anything without your permission! Since the lady told you what she did, she will do it again.

We do have a problem in Florida with them. They are the messiest birds in our state! But, they make beautiful sounds and they will whistle like a human when you whistle at them!

Now, in Florida, the Starlings right now are not laying eggs in their nests. They already did this and their babies are grown. But, up north, your cold weather hangs around a bit longer, so maybe they haven't laid their eggs yet. It depends on the temperature. It could be a different situation where you live.

Anyways, the lady should have given you the job of removing the nest. I think the Audubon Society would do that for you.

David:cool:

#7 · (Edited)
Hi David, I’m sorry but I think you may have miss read what I posted but I do write a lot so I don’t really make things clear enough when I’m typing posts. There were no eggs or babies which I’m very glad about! I was just worried if there were any in there. The Starlings just pushed lots of dried pine needles into the dryer duct. I’m guessing they were probably at the beginning of starting to nest. I’m really glad they didn’t have babies in there yet but they were still not happy about loosing their home though!

I also don’t physically own the property.

#4 ·
This happened to a woman in our community and she was beyond angry that the bird had the nerve to build a nest in her warm, dry dryer vent hose! ...sigh... So someone asked if she had a cage over the vent flaps and she said no...and then she was told to go to the hardware store, buy the cage, install it on the exterior of her home, over the dryer vent flaps and that would solve her problem. Guess what? It worked. She's not had any problem since....other than having to clean lint from the cage that occasionally gets trapped there.

#8 ·
What a shame, but thank goodness that there were no babies in the nest yet. That would have made the whole situation worse. It's no wonder the starling were upset about losing their new home. They thought that they had found a nice safe place to to nest and then it was gone.

That is horrible that they euthanize starlings! That is so wrong. Somebody ought to protest about that.

#9 · (Edited)
Since starlings are not darlings in the bird world-----no sympathy with me. Get rid of their nest without feeling badly. They are an endangerment to native wild birds.

House sparrows are in the same group---not native birds, but taking over where native birds would nest, especially bluebirds. Don't ever feel badly about a non-native bird.

We have bluebird nest boxes in our neighborhood---and get good results, but it's a cruel world.

#10 ·
Since starlings are not darlings in the bird world-----no sympathy with me. Get rid of their nest without feeling badly. They are an endangerment to native wild birds.

House sparrows are in the same group---not native birds, but taking over where native birds would nest, especially bluebirds. Don't ever feel badly about a non-native bird.

We have bluebird nest boxes in our neighborhood---and get good results, but it's a cruel world.[/QUOTE

No animal should ever have to suffer and die because someone feels they aren’t worth anything! They are gods creatures too!

#14 · (Edited)
Starlings and English sparrows are imports from England from the 1800's. They kill and take over nests of native birds. Have to draw a line somewhere to protect native species.

Kathy S. I agree with what you say, but Roaches are God's creatures too, but no mercy shown from most people.
I agree with methods of euthanizing be done when possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.