Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > New Members Area > Introductions

Introductions If you're a new member, introduce yourself to the community so we can all welcome you here!

Notices

Mysterious duo :)

This thread has 35 replies and has been viewed 1014 times.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #1
JennyK

JennyK is on a distinguished road

Mysterious duo :)

Hello all from 3 days owner of the mysterious duo! We are in the UK.

Hope to broke the mystery with your experience.

So the story. I have been keeping dif types of small birds for decades. Currently have an amazing cockatiel and lovely canaries. On 14th Oct I took 2 parrotlets from a local animal charity. The only information they were willing to share that the birds are 2 years old of unknown gender, the previous owner sadly passed away and relatives brought the birds to the shelter. The birds were with the charity just 2 weeks and were only fed an unbranded parakeet's seeds mix. A small animal vet looked at them and found no issue. They have got red 2018 rings. The birds were advertised as shy. That was the true for....the first couple of hours

https://www.talkparrotlets.com/album...ictureid=13113

I ve bought them a sturdy cage Irene 4 by Imac and lots of toys. They love the hummock so far and i love them forever!
https://www.talkparrotlets.com/album...ictureid=13111

The birdies are deeply bonded and spend most of the time by preening each others feathers. Could you broke the gender code? The green one is visibly bigger than the blue, but not massively as on the pic. Personality wise they are awesomely different. The blue parrotlet is a cautious master-minder, the green one is a brave follower Have not yet picked the names, want to know the gender first.

Practicality. They are on 30 days quarantine in a separate room. Happy with millets and the cockatiel mix for now. Eat and drink well, the green bird's poo is a bit watery. Both are molting as well, I gave them J&J molting tonic yesterday and will keep giving every other day for 2 weeks. They are fine with my presence, obviously, i do not touch them but observe. Seems rather happy parrotlets but less active than expected, perhaps due to the prolong stress.

Apart from the gender question, I shall appreciate some advice regarding veds/fruits. They had not have any for at least 2 weeks. I was thinking to start adding gradually the next week rather than right now. They should have enough vitamins and minerals from the tonic. Any thought?

I love them as they are now and not in hurry to tame. Although that would be nice.

Last edited by JennyK; 10-16-2020 at 07:15 PM..
JennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the site. Thank you for taking these little ones in and giving them a good home. We will help as we can. This is a caring community so expect a bit of varied advice as you need it.
For sexing look for blue under wings to indicate a male. There are other possible attributes depending on blood line but the blue underwing is definitive across most bloodlines.
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge - Bo
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

JackieRTP will become famous soon enough

Thank you for rescuing them and quarantining them for 30 days away from your other birds. When it comes to determining sex for parrotlets - both males and females can have blue eye shadow and blue rumps. Only males have blue on the flight feathers.

It is best to provide vitamins and minerals through food sources, but it may be necessary to add calcium for breeding females or in other specific circumstances. I would definitely start trying to offer them cut up or chopped vegetables and a small amount of fruit. Many people sprinkle chia seeds on top to entice their bird to eat it. You may need to offer the new foods over and over and over for them to eat it regularly, which can even take months.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
JennyK

Thank you so much for your prompt responses. They are a bit sleepy now. Tomorrow i will watch every feather
Old 10-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #5
JennyK

Thanks a lot for your advice. Chia seeds on top of vegs such a good tip! Will def try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
It is best to provide vitamins and minerals through food sources,
I am happy to provide them with the variety of vegs and fruits but right now the green bird's poo is a tad watery. Just worry to upset his stomach further.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enoughBryan will become famous soon enough

Hello and welcome to the forums.

We don't see much of the blue one in the picture but the green one is a male for sure. My guess is they both are but as others have said the blue under the wing will tell you.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:50 PM   #7
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum! God Bless you for making a better life for the parrotlets. If they are the same age, then one may be eating more food than the other. The male may not let the other one feed as much, so watch them when they eat and make sure both get an equal chance to eat. Hang a millet spray in the cage all the time .
If you have a male and female, be careful or they may mate, then you will have eggs and possibly chicks to tend to!

They should weight around 28 grams or so, depending on age. A good avian vet can usually tell the age pretty closely, once healthy.

Cover them 11-12 hours a night. This is very important! Keep them warm and out of a draft.

Cockatiel mix is good, since your new birds are small hook bills. Nutraberries are good for them. Hemp seeds are good for them. Hard boiled eggs, chopped up or chopped in half are good for them every once in a while. Parakeet ( budgie) seeds do not have the nutrients to keep a p'lett alive for long. You can mix the seeds in with the cockatiel mix, if you want. You can mix hemp seeds in the mix. too!

Fresh veggies are good for them. Stick a broccoli floret each day in between the cage bars near a perch and leave it all day. Eventually they will eat it.

Give then a variety of different sized perches, not dowels, so you can maintain good foot health. You say they are banded on the legs? Make sure the bands are not too tight. I took the bands off all the birds I have ever owned. It is up to you and the vet.

Sounds like you are giving them a good start! We need more people like you in our world. We need more p'letts, too!

David and Vicki
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:22 AM   #8
AnimalKaperz

AnimalKaperz is on a distinguished road

You are awesome to take the poor lil guys in!

To get my parrotlet to eat a bit of hard boiled egg, I pushed his chia seed into it and sprinkled more on the top. He eats egg now. I had no trouble with broccoli .... however, you could use the same - push seed into it. For a budgie that I hand reared, I actually chomped on raw broccoli and showed him it was okay. THATS love LOL

I also sing to mine and play him music, which he's really getting into

Good luck - your birdies are just stunning (and lucky!)
AnimalKaperz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #9
JennyK

Thank you all for welcoming me, your most kind words and the great recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
.. the green one is a male for sure. My guess is they both are ..
They are indeed! This morning they showed the bright indigo under-winds feathers. 2 gorgeous boys!

Based on the metal rings data, the same age, the same breeder but rather different birds and the green one in impressively taller.

They are quite active today and conducting the cage accessory's inventory

I took on board all recommendations and happy to implement. There are some contradictions in the parrotlets related articles so i would like your opinion on the below.

1. do they need the sepia bone in the cage?

2. do you give them sand?

3. do you add honey as a treat?

4. their room temperature fluctuates between 20-25C due to the boiler set-up. is this ok with the birdies?

5. could someone kindly add a link to the ACV treatment? i may consider to treat my flock at once.

Thanks again, so glad i found the forum.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #10
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enoughBryan will become famous soon enough

I think the sepia/cuttle bone would be fine unless you are feeding a pellet heavy diet then I have seen the manufacturers say not to use them or any other added vitamin or minerals. I guess they can get too much calcium and that can cause issues. I had one in Pip's cage when I read about that but he never used it anyway so just left it.

I have never read anything about sand but they don't need grit if that is what it is meant to be for. I would think it would be bad for them.

Again I have no knowledge about honey but a quick google search and I see this..
Quote:
"Some parrots enjoy honey, it's a sweet and delicious food for them but you shouldn't give parrots honey, especially raw honey. Honey can contain spores which can grow toxin-producing bacteria cells. The toxins can cause paralysis of your parrot."
I keep my house at about 72 Fahrenheit it does get down to 70 sometimes at night and Pip does fine with that.

The ACV ratio I use is 1 tablespoon to 1 quart/32 ounce of water. I read through a post over on another parrot forum back when I was researching it and took note of all the ones that had vet recommended ratios and went the average. I give this to Pip once every three months for a week to ten days to help clean out his digestive system. I also put this mix into his birdbath because he drinks from it and figure a good soaking on his feet would be good for him too. (gets changed daily)

See what everyone else has to say about it but these are my recommendations.

Last edited by Bryan; 10-17-2020 at 04:24 PM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote