Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > New Members Area > Introductions

Introductions If you're a new member, introduce yourself to the community so we can all welcome you here!

Notices

New Member!

This thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 342 times.

Old 10-15-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
maryandsweetpea

Parrotlets Owned: 1

maryandsweetpea is on a distinguished road

New Member!

Hey!! I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but I'm a new member of this forum, and I got my second parrotlet a week ago! his name is sweet pea and he's in my profile picture my first parrotlet, kiwi, sadly passed only a few days after I got her I believe she was sick previously. anyways, i was hoping to get some tips about bonding, because my bird doesn't come out of his cage even when I leave the cage open for hours. I think it might be something to do with the fact that he's molting and his wings are extremely clipped (not my idea, we're letting them grow out now). Anything you guys recommend? The breeder we got him from says he's 3 months old. I have gotten him to step up from inside the cage, but once I place him on his playset he flies back inside Also he doesn't seem to like vegetables very much. He refuses to even try them. I think he's scared of them lol. I feed him Roudybush pellets and he's fine with that. Any tips? I've already tried sprinkling seeds over the veggies but he still won't go near it.
maryandsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
JackieRTP

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

JackieRTP will become famous soon enough

Welcome! You have not had your bird a long time and a week is just scratching the surface. You can using a long stalk of millet for training and rewards. I would continue to leave the door open to allow him to choose to come out. If you offer him the long stalk and he eats from it, gradually over time you can move your hand closer and close until he is standing on your hand or finger to eat.

Parrotlets actually need quality seed as part of a diverse diet that includes vegetables. You can sprinkle chia seeds on top to entice him to eat them. Often you need to give a new food over and over and over for a bird to eat it regularly. Pellets are not necessary for parrotlets, and have been linked to kidney and liver issues in small bird species. They are a processed food made up of ground up seeds along with fillers like corn, soy, wheat, and synthetic vitamins (chemicals). For those who do choose to feed pellets, it should make up a very small percentage of their diet. Tops is the only one recommended as it is produced differently than other pellet brands.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
maryandsweetpea

Wow, I've actually never heard of pellets being an issue. I tried to do alot of research before getting him but i guess i missed some spots. I do also feed him seed mix and millet spray, but mostly as a treat and in foraging toys. I think he is slightly obese, though I do not have a scale, so I was trying to keep him off fatty foods. I'll keep trying with vegetables, I think he may be scared of the color if that's a thing? Because he refuses to go near it and freaks out when I put it in his cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #4
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryandsweetpea View Post
Wow, I've actually never heard of pellets being an issue. I tried to do alot of research before getting him but i guess i missed some spots. I do also feed him seed mix and millet spray, but mostly as a treat and in foraging toys. I think he is slightly obese, though I do not have a scale, so I was trying to keep him off fatty foods. I'll keep trying with vegetables, I think he may be scared of the color if that's a thing? Because he refuses to go near it and freaks out when I put it in his cage.
yes freaking by color is a normal thing.

the big part about parrotlet nutrition is variety. A good quality pellet as a base if ok but a variety of good seeds, fresh veggies and even a bit of egg and lean meat is also necessary. The big issue is that our little guys are intense and can get singularly focused. Make sure they are actually eating a variety and not just singling out their favorites.
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge - Bo
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enoughBryan will become famous soon enough

I feed Pip Roudybush pellets with a little bit of seeds mixed in. There have been parrotlets that have lived 15-17 years on a pellet heavy diet too so don't let anyone discourage you from using pellets.

Now that said they do need some seeds for sure. I feed Pip 1.5 teaspoons of pellets and 1/2 tsp of a seed mix. He also gets some eggs and even a small amount of meat/chicken every now and then but he does not like vegetables much. (Oh and we can not forget about his beloved millet)

The best thing to do is research for yourself and make up your own mind. There are all kinds of seed vs pellet debates out there but after all the things I have read I decided to go with a pellet heavy diet for Pip. He is almost two years old now and doing just fine.

Last edited by Bryan; 10-15-2020 at 03:34 PM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum! Sorry about losing your first bird. Pellets are not taboo by any means, but you must have some sort of balance. Introduce a nice small hookbill seed mix and keep pellets in the diet, too.

It takes a while to bond with a p'lett. You say he steps up in the cage...This is good news! Practice the stepping up in the cage until he is at ease. Talk softly to him while stepping up.When he steps up, bring him to the mouth of the cage and then put him back on the perch before he flutters back to a perch. Do this dozens and dozens of times until he is comfortable on your finger.

Always praise him!!! I had good luck with hemp seeds. With both of my p'letts and dozens of budgies over the years, hemp seeds were instrumental in training my birds to be at ease with me and trust me. I feed them one seed at a time, like a mother hen would.

He is young. He feels safe in his cage. This is why he wants to be in his cage all the time. Frequently go to his cage when you are home and slowly put your closed hand in the cage. Then slowly open your index finger and offer him to step up. If you can, sit next to his cage and talk to him...he will listen. He is alone from other birds for the first time in his life , so he has to get used to you. He will!

Put a spray of millet in his cage at all times. As far as fresh veggies, this will take a while for him to try. Put a broccoli floret in between the cage bars next to a perch. It will not spoil. It will wilt a little, but not spoil. Leave it in the cage all day, then remove it before bed. Cover his cage 11-12 hours at night.

Use filtered water, not tap!

He will bond with you. Be patient. Relax.

Keep us posted and ask us all the questions you can.

David and Vicki

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
maryandsweetpea

Thanks so much Bryan! I'll probably be keeping him on a Roudybush pelleted diet since that's what he was fed by his breeder, and I'll mix in some ZuPreem sensible seed mix that i recently bought. I handfeed him millet most of the time to try and get him comfortable, and sometimes sunflower seeds which he loves. I don't feed him too many sunflower seeds though because I heard they're high in fat. I'll try with the eggs, how do you recommend cooking them?
Old 10-15-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
maryandsweetpea

Thanks David! I'll definitely follow all your tips. I've been moving my cage into my bedroom where I spend most of my day doing work so he can watch. I'll definitely look into hemp seeds, do you recommend any brands? I'll buy broccoli later this week, and I got a skewer that i heard you can slice veggies onto for them to bite off. Also I do cover his cage for 11 hours but I've never actually seen him sleep? My other parrotlet slept alot so I was just confused. Thank you again!
Old 10-15-2020, 05:20 PM   #9
JackieRTP

Sunflower seeds are not a problem as long as they are not fed as the primary part of their diet since parrotlets have a high metabolism, and burnoff calories and fats easily. If you sprout them, they are even healthier.

I would encourage you read to read the actual ingredients of pellets to understand what you are actually feeding to your bird. Pellets became popular at a time when they were promoted as a "balanced diet" (they are not in any way). Many species do well on a pellet diet, but it is not recommended for parrotlets. There have been necopsies performed as far bar as the 1990s with parrotlets fed a primarily pellet diet that had liver or kidney issues as a result.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #10
JackieRTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
There have been parrotlets that have lived 15-17 years on a pellet heavy diet too so don't let anyone discourage you from using pellets.

There have been parrotlets fed a primarily seed only diet that have lived 15-17 years. Does that mean it is recommended? No, it does not. The same goes for pellets.

Last edited by JackieRTP; 10-15-2020 at 05:58 PM..