Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Travel plans

This thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 368 times.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
rizzie5022

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

rizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the rough

We travel with our guy a lot, in the car he is in a small travel cage. He actually loves the cage he happily chews all of the items in there. When we get to our destination I transfer him into a larger cage. The cages he has for traveling are smaller than his home cage but he is happy to go new places.
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #12
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Tumi LOVES to travel in the car! He has spent entire summers traveling, and loves every minute of it. Do check for car sickness first, though, because that would be a big issue. Other than that and a safe environment at the end, though, travel can be fun for an adventure-minded parrotlet. He and I travel for up to 12 hours a day in the car with no issues. He loves to take baths on the highway, the little weirdo!

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #13
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

One note, I have found the two legged swings work ok for travel but a one leg / point swing is dangerous. To much swinging in every direction.
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge - Bo
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Good point about the swings! While a toy or two is important, I always make sure that any toys are low down and against the cage wall so that they don't swing around. Tumi's cage is buckled in the passenger seat beside me (the airbag is automatically off when there isn't enough weight, and Tumi doesn't meet the minimum obviously), and he thinks of it as hours where his mommy is hanging out with him! I always cover his cage so that he can only look toward me and occasionally a small amount out the front if he seems interested. We have been traveling together since he was 12 weeks old, when he and I moved from Illinois to Washington, DC. My last bird, a cockatiel, also did well with travel.
One thing that both of them do/did when travel is go to bed REALLY early. I mean like 6pm, whenever the sun starts to turn toward downward motion, even if it is still light for hours and bedtime is hours away. I just cover him/her completely and it is fine.
Of course, bedtime seems to be a personal thing to some birds anyway! Tumi is currently going to bed at 5:30/6pm at the latest by his demand! That means he makes a chirpy alarm clock in the morning - no snoozing for me, I guess!

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:46 PM   #15
pixiebird

pixiebird is on a distinguished road

I regularly travel with Pixie. I regularly visit my parents who r out of state, and various other things. I use a very small travelling cage in the car seat belted in with water and food. (Your seatbelts will be chewed.) She does just fine on drives 6+ hours. I have a small cage with dup favorite toys (not a full p-let cage) when we arrive and she has no issues. For longer, week plus trips, I will bring a larger cage. I found regular travel has made her pretty resilient to change. Also, for the first few days in a new place, she is less active. I do spend a bit of time telling her she is the most glorious bird in the world, and it seems to work. Anyway, my little lady travels on the regular and has adapted quite well. Not saying it will work for everyone, but my girl does quite well traveling.
pixiebird is offline   Reply With Quote