Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Overnight concern

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 351 times.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #1
lindav

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Overnight concern

Haven't decided to take Oliver with me for Thanksgiving Day. It will be an overnight----we leave Weds., come back Friday.

Main concern is that he "poos" in one spot overnight on a paper towel, and I am not able to pick it up, he may step in it (eccch). Husband thinks he will be ok----I am not sure.
What's you advice?
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enoughBryan will become famous soon enough

I would personally leave Pip for one day on his own. I would just fill his bowls and put his birdbath thing inside his cage for extra water. With him liking millet so much would probably leave him a millet spray to keep him occupied too.

They have all kinds of cameras that you can buy now that have remote access you could always get one of those so you can check in on them.

edit: The birdbath would also give Pip the chance to wash his feet if he were to step in poo... lol

Last edited by Bryan; 10-25-2020 at 08:46 AM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
JackieRTP

JackieRTP will become famous soon enough

I left my bird last year alone when visiting my mother for about the same period of time. I left on a Friday morning and returned Sunday about mid-afternoon. I left extra food dishes.

You may want to check on Nextdoor if you are a member to see if a neighbor or someone trustworthy would be around during that time period and would be able to swap out the paper towel since that is a pretty easy task.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

I am usually lucky in that my mother can watch Jules when we are out for a weekend trip. She loves being with Jules so much it would hurt my mother feelings more if we did not do this than it would hurt Jules.

I am with your husband on this. You are effectively talking about one full day without contact. That has happened to us from time to time in that our work schedules do not allow us interaction with Jules for a day or two. She is perfectly fine and seems to stress us more than her.

One thing that does give me comfort is that I do have a camera on her cage. Current one even records so I can check in on her and take actions if there is an issue. As for droppings. One days is not excessive and any bird can get droppings on them at any time. I am sure that Oliver can handle that issue if it becomes one.
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge - Bo
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #5
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

If I read this correctly, Oliver will be totally alone Wednesday day and night, all day Thursday day and night, and a good part of the day Friday. He would survive the 2 days and 2 nights of actual time away. This is a little more than overnight.
Do you cover him at night? Someone would have to cover/uncover him Wed and Thur and Fri. If it gets real dark in his room, then you can forget the covering/uncovering, but make sure he stays warm.

Food and water will be okay, just leave extra. Leave a full spray of millet. The poo do's shouldn't be a problem. You can clean his feet when you get back if they are dirty.

I would leave a radio on during the day for Oliver ( and to make possible thieves think someone is home). Put the radio on a timer to shut off by 6 PM and turn back on at 7 AM each day. Timers are cheap to purchase.

If you could trust someone to check on Oliver in the mornings and evenings to cover and uncover, this would be the ideal thing to arrange. They could call you each time they arrive to check on him.

As far as the poop on the paper towel, you could shred a 3 inch tall pile of paper towel and put it in the spot he drops it on. The poop would fall into the middle of the pile and dry quickly.

David

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the input - - - very reassuring to me.
Dave, it's one overnight. Leaving late morning on Wednesday, back home Friday afternoon.
Shouldn't worry about it, but I do. I will leave his cage partially uncovered - - - - where he sleeps will be covered.
Many thanks for responding,.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:57 PM   #7
Anya

Anya has a spectacular aura aboutAnya has a spectacular aura about

Linda, it is two nights. You will be gone Wednesday night and Thursday night. For me, because I am a worrier, I'd be scared to leave Cleopatra for more than one night. But that is just me. If I had someone to check in on her from time to time, like David suggested, I'd feel better about it.
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:25 PM   #8
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Do you have cable / DSL internet at your house? Get a cheap web cam so you can keep an eye on his. I use these with a memory cards. About $50 for a total build and you can see it from any smart phone / pad. Gives me peace of mind.

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-pan.html

https://wyze.com/wyze-32gb-microsdhc-card-class-10.html
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge - Bo
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:26 PM   #9
pixiebird

pixiebird is on a distinguished road

No doubt your little boy will be ok by himself for two nights. That said, I recommend taking him with you if you can and you have a safe environment to take him to. My bird regularly travels with me in a small travel cage and has no issues. She is definately happier to have people paying attention to her. It makes her more flexible as the inevitable changes of life happen. She experiences minimal stress, and adapts well to regular changes in environment, and I just have a small travel cage stocked with dup favorite toys when we arrive at our final destination. It also relieves a lot of stress on my end as I know she is taken care of. Give it a try, you may find Oliver adapts well.
pixiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
lindav

He probably will be fine, even if we take him with us. Husband does not want to, although I would.
Yes, it's two nights - - - - what was I thinking of one night. I think I may press him to take Oliver with us. ����