Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk > Parrotlet Housing

Parrotlet Housing Discuss parrotlet housing here.

Notices

Help me pimp my cage?

This thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 214 times.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
Ulendon

Ulendon is on a distinguished road

Help me pimp my cage?

So I am coming back to bird ownership after a good 20 years or so and getting a parrotlet. I've done a bunch of research and am starting to buy stuff and would greatly appreciate some help.

I know a lot has changed including me!

So this is the cage I bought: A&E Cage Company Flight Bird Cage & Stand 32 x 21 x 74 inches

So Far I have:
(2) stainless food cups
(4) manzanita split branch perches
(2) Manzanita short straight perch (maybe for the door?)
(1) Polly's Pet Products Tooty Fruity Bee Pollen Bird Perch, medium
(1)*JW Pet Medium Comfy Bird Perch
(1)*JW Pet Small Comfy Bird Perch
(1) JW*Hol-ee roller*Bird Toy
(10) Toys* from bonka bird toys*
(1) small Manu block
(1) Mini fluff*
(1) Wesco bird kabob

What I want to find:
A bird light/bulb
More perches. I think I'd like a few grape branch*ones and a couple of flat ones. Has anyone purchased from Sierra Nevada Organics on Etsy? I really like some of those.
A swing
A boing*Are they all rope? I was trying to limit rope to the outside of the cage.
Gym
Pan liners. What do people use now for the bottom of the cage? I see litter but liners seem so much easier.*

What am I missing? I'm sure I've forgotten lots and\or don't know about something!
Ulendon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2020, 09:33 PM   #2
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You seem to have a good list so far. When it comes to toys, parrotlets seem to fall into two categories - shredders and bell-bashers - so make sure you have both until you learn your bird's style.

You are right that a lot has changed in the knowledge of bird-keeping over the decades. There is so much more science and shared knowledge! I remember and cringe over some of the things that I was told to do for my first bird from the one little book I bought at the pet store!

I use paper towels under the grate on the bottom. Newspaper is also an option, if you have newspaper. I think litter isn't recommended if for no other reason than you can't see the poop easily, which is a way that keep an eye on their health.

There are some non-rope boings if you look, made of a natural fiber.

Tumi doesn't use swings. Maybe someone here has a parrotlet that uses a swing and can speak up, but I have one and Tumi has never stood on it on purpose.

I haven't purchased from that shop on Etsy, but I have had good luck with Etsy for wooden perches.

I look forward to getting to meet your new little one!

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:54 PM   #3
Anya

Anya has a spectacular aura aboutAnya has a spectacular aura about

How exciting that you are getting another bird after so many years! That is awesome!

You have a good list going already, but how about a birdbath? I have one that attaches to the side of the cage that my bird loves.

If the room that you keep your bird in tends to be cool, you can get a snuggle up bird warmer which a heater that attaches to the inside of your cage.

Also, a traveling cage is a good thing to have to allow you to take your bird to the vet, use in an emergency and so on...

Have you a bird picked out already? We look forward to hearing about it!

Last edited by Anya; 11-21-2020 at 12:27 AM..
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2020, 11:05 PM   #4
AnimalKaperz

AnimalKaperz is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new here too

I have a swing with real wood (not dowel) for Squirt to stand on and play. He has done it himself a couple of times that I've seen, so I suppose he likes it. He's chewed it too LOL I don't know that he's a huge fan, BUT he does enjoy me swinging him on my finger. I just got a swing with stainless supports and took the dowel out and replaced it with part of a branch, cut to size. The dowel would be okay to leave in ... I just have a personal dislike of it due to the perfect round shape and LOTS of bird friendly trees at my disposal. (flocks of galahs have come through and "trimmed" the trees so the branches have fallen - handy for me but dang those galahs are destructive!). A ladder is on the drawing board next

I'm going to buy some small diameter hollow stainless steel rods, cut to different lengths (ie 1 inch, 1 and half inch, 2 inch. Son is going to drill small holes at the top so I can suspend them from some fine stainless steel chain I bought. One parrotlet size birdy windchime that he can play with :P The ones I've seen for sale are too big for my liking and they're meant for bigger parrots. He'd knock himself out, playing with them I'm sure! The stainless steel bells I've seen are also way too big for him. Regular small bells are made from ...?? who knows what!

Mahogany seed pods, cut into 1-2 inch pieces he loves on a kebob skewer. I just use a fine screwdriver to put a hole in the centre. He chews them to bits. I'm going to make a bit of a hanging "climb in it and chew" toy - with bits of branch wood hanging vertically (i have small stainless rings to use, which are not too small either that it might catch his beak or a toe). I've also saved ice block sticks - I think theyre called popsicle sticks in USA - and will hang some of those in with it, and probably a couple of mahogany seed pods too. I'll use beets and other foods friendly to birds to dye the sticks. I avoid plastic wherever I can - just a "thing" of mine. I've ordered a bunch of plain pine different shaped wooden beads which I'll dye with food colouring, string together on some fine stainless wire I have and he can chew to bits. I know the bigger parrot ones he can use - but I have to wonder *why* they don't make suitable small parrot ones!

I use unbleached paper towel as a liner for my birds cage. I also use the same type of paper towel for myself for kitchen use, so it's readily available for me. I have used unprinted and untreated "newspaper" but have run out and with Covid rules at present, I can't get it. I don't know if it's available in the USA - but here in Australia, you can go to the actual newspaper office and they sell "end rolls" .... which has 20 -40 yards or so of unprinted newpaper. It's about 3 foot wide. It's great for birds - and if you have children, they can draw on it, use it to wrap boxes to mail and it's very inexpensive with HEAPS of uses.

I made a swinging platform for my bird, which is fun. I just got a piece of seagrass mat, about 3 inches x 4 inches. Popped a stainless split ring on each corner and it hangs. I haven't seen him use it really - yet - but it's there. When he starts to chew it, I'll change the mat.

P.S. I have lots of time, and because I enjoy it too, I make things for my birds
AnimalKaperz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #5
JackieRTP

JackieRTP will become famous soon enough

I use newspaper on the bottom of the cage under the grate. It is printed with non-toxic vegetable ink.

Here are common bulb and lamp manufacturers for birds -> FeatherBrite, Zoo Med, Arcadia, M&M, or Hari for UV lighting.
- FeatherBrite https://www.featherbrite.com/
- Zoo Med https://zoomed.com/
- Arcadia https://www.arcadiabird.com/
- M & M https://www.breedingcage.com/
- Hari https://hari.ca/our-products/bird-ca...b-avian-light/

Toys made of natural materials such as those from Planet Pleasures tend to be a favorite. http://planetpleasures.com/
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
Ulendon

I don't have a bird lined up yet. I'm still trying to find a breeder near me and may have to ship.

I do have a travelling carrier and a smaller cage for travel/hospital/around the house

OOOh! The M&M light looks awesome. Would I need a chewguard one for a parrotlet? If it's on the outside of the cage.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
JackieRTP

JackieRTP will become famous soon enough

I would get the chewguard for a parrotlet, even though I know that those models cost more. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:41 PM   #8
Ulendon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya View Post

How exciting that you are getting another bird after so many years! That is awesome!

You have a good list going already, but how about a birdbath? I have one that attaches to the side of the cage that my bird loves.

If the room that you keep your bird in tends to be cool, you can get a snuggle up bird warmer which a heater that attaches to the inside of your cage.

Also, a traveling cage is a good thing to have to allow you to take your bird to the vet, use in an emergency and so on...

Have you a bird picked out already? We look forward to hearing about it!
I haven't figured out the bird bath. Is it better to have one in there all the time or just offer it daily? Any kind in particular you recommend?

I do have a travel carrier and a small cage for travel/hospital/around the house.

I actually finally managed to hook up with a local breeder last night and brought home a just weaned turquoise baby boy!

So far things are going really well. He is so outgoing and friendly! I just had him out of the cage for the first time and he was just great. We hung out on the bed for 15 minutes and I offered him all kinds of tidbits. I can tell he's going to be so fun to train!
Old 11-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #9
Ulendon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalKaperz View Post
Welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new here too

I use unbleached paper towel as a liner for my birds cage. I also use the same type of paper towel for myself for kitchen use, so it's readily available for me. I have used unprinted and untreated "newspaper" but have run out and with Covid rules at present, I can't get it. I don't know if it's available in the USA - but here in Australia, you can go to the actual newspaper office and they sell "end rolls" .... which has 20 -40 yards or so of unprinted newpaper. It's about 3 foot wide. It's great for birds - and if you have children, they can draw on it, use it to wrap boxes to mail and it's very inexpensive with HEAPS of uses.

I made a swinging platform for my bird, which is fun. I just got a piece of seagrass mat, about 3 inches x 4 inches. Popped a stainless split ring on each corner and it hangs. I haven't seen him use it really - yet - but it's there. When he starts to chew it, I'll change the mat.

P.S. I have lots of time, and because I enjoy it too, I make things for my birds
I added a seagrass swing like you describe to my Bonka Birds list. I don't know why I didn't think of paper towels. In my head I was like, "something on a roll, there's got to be something like that for birds". Duh!
Old 11-22-2020, 09:06 PM   #10
laracroft

laracroft will become famous soon enoughlaracroft will become famous soon enough

Congrats and welcome! Have you picked out a name for your new boy?

You mentioned two stainless steel cups--I'd add a third, so you can have one for dry food like seeds or pellets, one for fresh food (veggies, sprouts, etc.), and one for water. You could get by with just one for food and one for water but it would mean taking away the dry food every time you go to feed fresh. What is a "mini fluff"? Also, I know the thread title talks about just the cage, but have you thought about toys and things for outside the cage?

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote