Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

Bath vs spray nottlt

This thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 149 times.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
kostacc

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

kostacc is on a distinguished road

Bath vs spray nottlt

My little one is not crazy about water hence will not go near her bath should I mist her with warm water if so how often? I also live in Ontario where yes the heats on all the time in the house and she has a heater in her cage. She is 3 months old.
kostacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

This is a personality thing. Some birds love to be sprayed. Some not so much. My Jules was a rescue where one of her previous owners spayed them as a disciplinary method. She loses her mind just seeing a spray bottle. Our Rio is not real happy with it.
We got Jules a table top fountain that she loves and takes baths in.
We are still figuring Rio out (had him about a month) but so far both Jules and him like diving into a water glass my wife makes first thing in the morning.
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge - Bo
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1

JackieRTP will become famous soon enough

Many prefer to choose whether to bathe or not, rather than being sprayed. Many like to user a shallow dish of water or a water dish. Believe it or not, they actually prefer cold water to warm water.

Most parrotlets rarely bathe. They do not have sweat glands, so they do not need frequent baths/showers like we do.
JackieRTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #4
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Many prefer to choose whether to bathe or not, rather than being sprayed. Many like to user a shallow dish of water or a water dish. Believe it or not, they actually prefer cold water to warm water.

Most parrotlets rarely bathe. They do not have sweat glands, so they do not need frequent baths/showers like we do.
Agree with the cold water. Both mine seem to like ice water. We even fill the table top fountain with ice and let it melt down for them.

A thing we are playing with now is a nebulizer. Jules had to use one for her respiratory issue a while back. It really helped with that issue but we noticed that she liked to get up into it if she could. So now since we have one we occasionally run distilled water and let it mist so they can play in it.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:27 PM   #5
Grammy

Grammy is on a distinguished road

Percy enjoys her water fountain.
She also loves her water bowl for baths!

water fountain
https://youtu.be/WnpVshrqA0Q
Old 11-21-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
Anya

Anya has a spectacular aura aboutAnya has a spectacular aura about

If you try misting your bird, make sure to never spray directly at them, you do not want to spray their eyes and nares. Try misting above your bird so the droplets simulate a rain shower.

I know you said your bird does not like water, but you might want to try different things like offering your bird a bath in different shape bowls and saucers. Maybe your bird will like taking a bath in a clear pyrex dish. You can also try putting your birds bath in a different location. My friend had a bird that would only take a bath if its “bathtub” was placed on top of its cage! lol

If your bird is really scared of water, you can try placing wet leaves of lettuce, kale, fresh spinach, or any leafy produce in a shallow plate or bowl. Some small birds like to roll around in wet leaves. This may help get their feathers wet enough to help remove dust and dander off them. You can even place the wet leaves between the cage bars and they may rub against them (and eat them too!)

Sometimes we just have to keep on experimenting with things until we stumble across something they like.

I hope your bird eventually likes taking a bath/or misting because it is good for them!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #7
Anya

Anya has a spectacular aura aboutAnya has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy View Post

water fountain
Look at Percy! She is so a-dorable! She really looks like she loves it! Funny, I posted about one of these fountains a few months back. Couldn't decide if I wanted one like this or one that was a table top fountain like Ozzie mentioned. She has a plastic bird bath in her cage that she uses, but today I noticed it has a crack in it. After watching Percy loving her fountain, maybe I should replace it with one of these. I just went back and looked at my old thread - it was a Veken Cat Water Fountain. Almost exactly like yours except it is square shaped.
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
Grammy

Grammy is on a distinguished road

fountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya View Post
Look at Percy! She is so a-dorable! She really looks like she loves it! Funny, I posted about one of these fountains a few months back. Couldn't decide if I wanted one like this or one that was a table top fountain like Ozzie mentioned. She has a plastic bird bath in her cage that she uses, but today I noticed it has a crack in it. After watching Percy loving her fountain, maybe I should replace it with one of these. I just went back and looked at my old thread - it was a Veken Cat Water Fountain. Almost exactly like yours except it is square shaped.
Thanks! I think she loves playing in water. It just took a few minutes before she got in it. I hope Ozzie enjoys it like Percy does.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy View Post

water fountain
That is neat
Old 11-24-2020, 04:52 PM   #10
TheBeans

Parrotlets Owned: 1

TheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura about

Daisy has never liked bathing in a dedicated bath dish nor does she like to be misted or sprayed. She flat out refused to get into a small stream of water coming from the tap and I even tried to get her to play around in a pie dish full of floating lettuce leaves. She bit me for that one! I finally gave up as her preferred method has always been to bathe in her water cup. She likes her water as cold as possible and once she's done splashing around and drenching everything, I change the water----again----and we're both happy.

Daisy's hatch-day: 12/10/2014
TheBeans is offline   Reply With Quote